Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: floorboard pics ?  (Read 4712 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
floorboard pics ?
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »

Anyone have a pic of an FXR2 / FXR3 with boards mounted instead of mid or forward controls?  Boards like the cop bikes or the FXRT bikes used?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: floorboard pics ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »

So no one has put floorboards on an FXR2? 

Then how am I supposed to decide if I want to start looking for boards or a set of mid controls to replace the forward controls someone with longer legs than mine put on the bike that will get delivered here in a few weeks?  :nixweiss:

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:04:49 PM »

Twolane,

I don't know if this will be of any help to you but I bought a 2015 Fatbob 2 years ago and tore into it, it has forward controls from the factory. I stand 5'7 with a 30 inch inseam. I cheeped out on the controls and put the reduced reach controls which helped a lot don't feel like I'm stretching now. At 60 mph it is very comfy but anything above 65 and I'm fighting to keep my feet planted. This probably doesn't help you decide on floorboards but I know mid controls are in my future for better control at high speeds!!!

BostonBoy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »

Thanks.  What you're describing is just about exactly my recollection from many years ago and the last bike I had without floorboards.  I was never long enough in the legs (29-30" inseam depending on the pants) to be comfortable with forward controls.  This one lost its mid controls sometime in its life so I'll need to change it somehow. 

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »

I've run across some on ebay, some were dealer take offs some were not just never placed any bids on them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »

Will set up some automated searches to start watching.

zn14

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »

here is an FXR2 with police floorboards

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »

Nice.  I don't hate that at all.  In fact quite like the look. 

Thanks very much.  Now have a shopping list to start putting together.   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »

While I've got you here, what combination was easiest to go to the dual discs on the front?

zn14

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »

That is not my bike but my wife has an FXR3.  We put dual disks on both bikes at the same time.  The FXR3 was easier cause the extra rotor just bolted on but on the FXR2 he took the wire wheel to a machinist and had the right side drilled and tapped to mount the rotor.  So you have to buy a right leg, rotor, dual master cyl., brake caliper and new brake lines.
Since doing this I have ridden an FXR4 that has the 4 piston calipers and I would recommend going that route.  The extra cost for new a wheel and 2 calipers are worth the performance difference.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »

That is not my bike but my wife has an FXR3.  We put dual disks on both bikes at the same time.  The FXR3 was easier cause the extra rotor just bolted on but on the FXR2 he took the wire wheel to a machinist and had the right side drilled and tapped to mount the rotor.  So you have to buy a right leg, rotor, dual master cyl., brake caliper and new brake lines.
Since doing this I have ridden an FXR4 that has the 4 piston calipers and I would recommend going that route.  The extra cost for new a wheel and 2 calipers are worth the performance difference.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks.  Had a parts list already from an FXR4.  Also found another 39mm donor option.  Want to ride it some before swapping out though. Appreciate the help very much.

J.D.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »

Another good option might be the peg-mounted "mini" floorboards.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »

Another good option might be the peg-mounted "mini" floorboards.

Have something on the way now.  A Harley kit for Dynas.  50601-01.  Found a set of engineering drawings then compared the measurements against the bike here.  If it's not going to fit it's darn close.  Will know for sure when the parts arrive.

The kit comes with a heel-toe shifter.  Won't use that.  Have a toe mid shifter in my spare parts box and the currently installed toe forward shifter.  Will mix and match parts with the boards to find what fits me best.  Same thing on the brake pedal options.  A nearly direct bolt on would be great but hopefully the parts work with at worst little modification.

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »

I'll be curious to see this setup.  I too don't love the front pegs (they're not bad enough to change immediately I suppose), but for my height the fwd controls are a must.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 01:23:27 PM »

I'll be curious to see this setup.  I too don't love the front pegs (they're not bad enough to change immediately I suppose), but for my height the fwd controls are a must.

Were I visited by a longer inseam I know I'd think differently.  But I'm not.  Have never really well fit any bike with forward controls.  At least not comfortably for long days.  That being the case and now so totally used to floorboards this became a pretty easy choice.  Now just hoping it will also be a pretty easy install.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »

The floorboard kit arrived today.  Won't get a chance to mess with it until the weekend.  In a fancy box, obviously old, with graphics all over saying "Wyatt Gatling Collection."

Looking forward to see how (or if) they'll work this weekend.

zn14

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »

I am very curious if you can get these floorboards to fit.  The FXR floorboards are very rare and extremely expensive when you find them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 01:30:10 AM »

I am very curious if you can get these floorboards to fit.  The FXR floorboards are very rare and extremely expensive when you find them.

Took awhile.  Sorry.  In the end that Wyatt Gatling kit would not have worked without both some modification and a couple other parts.  Could've got it done.  Wasn't worth the hassle.

Ended up going at it just scoring individual parts.  Spent significantly less collecting a piece at a time over a couple months watching eBay than just ponying up to a package of parts from Elvis.  I enjoy the hunt so it was all good.

Finally put everything on today.  I did not get the heel-toe police shifter.  Never liked a toe shifter anyway and never found the cop bike shifter at a price I was willing to pay.  So installed everything today using the mid controls shift arm.  It works that way.  But it's not ideal.  The arm needs to be longer.  It's a standard length shift arm used on most Harley.  It stops far enough back in to the footboard that it'll be a nuisance.  You could get used to it.  Don't think I'll have to.

There used to be an aftermarket extended shift arm for guys with big feet (at least that's who I always thought the market was).  Turnes out it's still available; and cheap.  Almost 10" long.  That'll put the shift peg right at the front edge of the footboard where anyone used to a touring bike is used to finding the shifter.  Unless something unexpected happens that will work well.  In the interim, however, it's still much better and more comfortable for my short legs than it was with the forward controls.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.