Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apologies for the whinging, I am a Pom (Limey) after all.  (Read 1126 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Apologies for the whinging, I am a Pom (Limey) after all.
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:40:11 PM »

Just had a safety recall notice from Harley to take the bike in for a one time only free brake fluid flush due to the hygroscopic nature of the fluid attracting moisture which may impair the antilock brake system. Thereafter it is my responsibility to do it every  two years.

This is after six years of ownership - what bo!!ocks (I know the actual recall is probably valid but fiddling while Rome burns comes to mind). No mention of a replacement engine due to excessive oil consumption or cam followers or cam chain tensioners, all of which I have had to do. Makes the statement I" know I am daft but it hurts to think that they believe I am daft" apply here.

Go on the HD forums for the "Milwanky eight" to find out what sh!te they are still producing.

The trouble is when they are running right they are still evocative and absorbing to ride, makes you spit.

JohnT (If it makes me liable to being arrested - ANON)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Apologies for the whinging, I am a Pom (Limey) after all.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »

This supposed "recall" does absolutely nothing to address the damage already done to brake system parts (costly).  New fluid won't magically fix the bad ABS pumps and valves, but Harley thinks they can pull the wool over the regulators eyes with this (cheap) offer for a one time fluid change, thus avoiding having to replace a lot of ABS pumps.  In the meantime, folks are still crashing and having accidents when the brakes suddenly fail, and others are having to pay to replace parts that do not fail on other brands and types of vehicles no matter how long between fluid changes.  As you said, bollocks!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mslcpa

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »

Two summers ago, on the return from Prince Edward Island, CAN, we took a side trip up Mt. Washington. On the way back down the mountain my rear brakes gave out. Pedal to the floor but would pump up. After about 20 minute cool-down, the brakes were fine for the remaining 400 miles home. Just prior to the trip I had the 50K mile service performed at the dealer. Took back to the dealer and they explained that none of the scheduled services include the change of brake/clutch fluids and that it is the owners responsibility to request. Had the system flushed and the fluids changed and have had no brake issues since.

Accordingly, I take full credit for bringing this issue to light and getting you all a free brake fluid service.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »

Two summers ago, on the return from Prince Edward Island, CAN, we took a side trip up Mt. Washington. On the way back down the mountain my rear brakes gave out. Pedal to the floor but would pump up. After about 20 minute cool-down, the brakes were fine for the remaining 400 miles home. Just prior to the trip I had the 50K mile service performed at the dealer. Took back to the dealer and they explained that none of the scheduled services include the change of brake/clutch fluids and that it is the owners responsibility to request. Had the system flushed and the fluids changed and have had no brake issues since.

Accordingly, I take full credit for bringing this issue to light and getting you all a free brake fluid service.

They should have recommended any service that was due, especially an item that is safety related.

In the automotive world, we did a complimentary multipoint inspection on every vehicle that went though the shop. Some people took that as we where trying to get in there pockets and others appreciated that we found a problem or issue that they didn't know they had.

Either way, it was the right thing to do and it covered our butts more than once. 
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.