Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Head light  (Read 1212 times)

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
Head light
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »

I have the stock daymaker and it’s great up close but points at the ground both hi and low beam. I’ve adjust it all the way up and it’s still horrible. I also added saymaker running lights to help in corners and still can’t see a thing. The headlight is just way to low even at max adjustment! Any ideas?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Head light
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »

Have you actually verified the light is too low using the proper checking method, or are you just going by what you see (or don't see) as you're riding down the road?  If you do the official alignment check and the beam is below the target, and you can't get the light to adjust any further, there may be a bent, broken or loose part in the headlight assembly or adjuster.

Btw, the official test method I'm talking about involves a flat level surface and and vertical surface like a wall or garage door.  With someone sitting on the bike and holding it level side-to-side, and the front wheel 25 feet from the vertical wall, measure the height of the center of the headlight from the ground, then transfer that measurement to the wall and make a level horizontal line (painters tape works well).  Fire up the headlight on high beam, and the hot spot of the light should be centered high/low on that line.  When you switch to low beam the top of the hot spot should be just below the line.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »

I have it maxed out on up adjustment and can't see anything in the corners or any distance in front of me, unless hard on the throttle.

ckduallie

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 05:06:20 AM »

Remove the spring from behind the adjuster screw. Then run the adjuster screw all the way in snug. I have done this on my last two ultras and find  I very seldom use my high beam! You might get flashed every once in a while but that just means they see you!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »

Remove the spring from behind the adjuster screw. Then run the adjuster screw all the way in snug. I have done this on my last two ultras and find  I very seldom use my high beam! You might get flashed every once in a while but that just means they see you!!!

Much better idea is to aim the lights correctly and not blind anyone, especially someone coming at you head on who just might cross the center line when you blind them.  And btw, complaints are common with the latest iteration of the Daymaker's about poor coverage to the sides on turns.  It's the way the lights are designed, and maladjustment isn't going to fix that.  Projector versus reflector design can cause this.  Compensate with the aux lights horizontal adjustment.  If you think that spring is limiting the correct amount of upward adjustment, don't remove it, shorten it just enough to allow proper adjustment (or find whatever else in the mounting of the light is limiting proper adjustment).  The spring is there for a good reason.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:48 PM »

I ended up adjusting the two screws on either side out and that allowed for more upward tilt. Huge difference but still no light on tight turns. I added running lights, but they do the same thing. I am considering a change to the new JW speaker light that adjust in turns, but I’m open to other ideas. There are very few street lights here because I live in the woods🤓

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 11:16:39 PM »

The adaptive headlight from JW speaker is quite a nice piece. Definitely on my list

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »

I ended up adjusting the two screws on either side out and that allowed for more upward tilt. Huge difference but still no light on tight turns. I added running lights, but they do the same thing. I am considering a change to the new JW speaker light that adjust in turns, but I’m open to other ideas. There are very few street lights here because I live in the woods
I love the brightness,  And I run hard in the turns and that blind spots are ridiculous. I added the passing lamps and pointed them further out than necessary and generally only used them on country roads, but it makes all the difference in the world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

scootertrash

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 08:07:43 AM »

I ordered Cree passing lights off Amazon. Much brighter with wider beam

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.