Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GDO issues and HD theories  (Read 1171 times)

Glenncarp

GDO issues and HD theories
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:23:18 AM »

Sold house in Fl, moved to NC. Brought HD garage door opener with me. Cant get it to work in new garage. Has older Overhead door Legacy opener. Read threads, may have to check wiring. Funny thing is that there is a "learn" button on GDO and that got me wondering why HD has to make EVERYTHING so complicated. Why cant the transmitter HD makes simply pair with a GDO using the simple technology in almost EVERY car made today? Why the need for an HD receiver that has to be plugged in an wired to the GDO? Why does HD seem to take the simple and make it harder? Scratching my head this AM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: GDO issues and HD theories
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

Trust me, you aren't the first to wonder why the MoCo is clueless, on this issue as well as a ton of others.  It would be pretty simple for Harley to just switch to a transmitter that could be easily programmed directly to the vast majority of door openers on the market, including those 20 year old simple systems.  Perhaps if they actually installed door openers in all their bikes they would consider it, since it would be much cheaper than the transmitter/receiver system they have now.  Since they only install them in the CVO Limited/Ultra models, they obviously don't consider the volume sufficient to justify the change.  OR, they are just dumb as rocks. 

Fix it the same way I did.  Mount a remote for your garage door opener in your fairing and wire a pushbutton momentary switch to the contacts for the remote button.  Locate the new switch on the dash or wherever you want it.  In my case it works better and more reliably than the H-D system, at a longer range, and all I gave up was the high beam switch activation. I know some people have just put a regular remote in a fairing bin or windshield bag pocket, or the pocket of their riding jacket.  It's not as handy that way, but it works and still beats getting off the bike to open the door or to close it when leaving.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »

I used an odo reset switch mounted in a spare switch blank.......tapped into switched power in the faring and used a dropping resistor to get 3 volts to the remote
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »

Sold house in Fl, moved to NC. Brought HD garage door opener with me. Cant get it to work in new garage. Has older Overhead door Legacy opener. Read threads, may have to check wiring. Funny thing is that there is a "learn" button on GDO and that got me wondering why HD has to make EVERYTHING so complicated. Why cant the transmitter HD makes simply pair with a GDO using the simple technology in almost EVERY car made today? Why the need for an HD receiver that has to be plugged in an wired to the GDO? Why does HD seem to take the simple and make it harder? Scratching my head this AM

To those on here smarter than me regarding electronics (and I'm sure that's a large amount!) If the idea of a garage door opening switch is to simply break the circuit, does it matter which side of the posts on the garage door opener the black and red wires from the HD receiver are attached to? I know some basics about electricity and if you're simply opening the circuit  to activate the garage door opener it seems to me it wouldn't matter. Anyone, Buehler, anyone???  :-*

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »

It doesn't matter which way it's connected, but you need to make sure you're using the correct terminals on the door opener.  What brand and model opener do you have?  How many wires are there from the wall control to the door opener?

First things first, are you sure the bike transmitter is still programmed properly to the receiver?  When you toggle the high beam switch, does the light on the receiver flash, indicating the receiver actually received the signal from the transmitter?

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »

It doesn't matter which way it's connected, but you need to make sure you're using the correct terminals on the door opener.  What brand and model opener do you have?  How many wires are there from the wall control to the door opener?

First things first, are you sure the bike transmitter is still programmed properly to the receiver?  When you toggle the high beam switch, does the light on the receiver flash, indicating the receiver actually received the signal from the transmitter?

Jerry

It is an Overthead Door Regency. It is programmed because when I flip lights hi/low, I see red LED flash and hear a click. The garage is an an apartment complex, so there is no visible wall mounted switch but there are the safety light wires and another set going to the GDO terminal.There is also a programmable  pad on the exterior of the garage, I am assuming that this is where the other wires comes from. There are 3 terminals on the GDO, Two have two wires to them, one each of switch and safety. Another terminal which is not being used says "Button".

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:32:34 PM »

It is an Overhead Door Regency. It is programmed because when I flip lights hi/low, I see red LED flash and hear a click. The garage is an an apartment complex, so there is no visible wall mounted switch but there are the safety light wires and another set going to the GDO terminal.There is also a programmable  pad on the exterior of the garage, I am assuming that this is where the other wires comes from. There are 3 terminals on the GDO, Two have two wires to them, one each of switch and safety. Another terminal which is not being used says "Button".

That's a head scratcher.  Even on the old openers I had way back in the day, the wall button had two wires and two connections to the opener powerhead unit.  The terminals for the wall button are normally where you install the wires from the Harley receiver on the older openers.

I assume this opener isn't ancient, since it has safety sensors.  Rather than have me guess, you might want to call an Overhead Door dealer in your area and see if they can tell you how to wire a two wire button to this opener.  You would be using the Harley receiver as the two wire button, btw.

Jerry

Glenncarp

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »

That's a head scratcher.  Even on the old openers I had way back in the day, the wall button had two wires and two connections to the opener powerhead unit.  The terminals for the wall button are normally where you install the wires from the Harley receiver on the older openers.

I assume this opener isn't ancient, since it has safety sensors.  Rather than have me guess, you might want to call an Overhead Door dealer in your area and see if they can tell you how to wire a two wire button to this opener.  You would be using the Harley receiver as the two wire button, btw.

Jerry

I may have confused you, 3 terminals on powerhead, 2 wires going to each terminal, "button" terminal not used. Two wires each terminall are keypad to each terminal and safety light to each terminal. I'm starting to think it is receiver head malfunctioning

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.