Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter?  (Read 1395 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Starter?
« on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »

Out for an afternoon ride. Stopped to fill up with gas. It's the starter button, and heard an ugly grinding sound. Followed by the dreaded Ziiiing!!!

Is this my starter?
Can a hack like me change it out?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

J.D.

Re: Starter?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:35:18 PM »

Sounds like the starter drive clutch.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »

Out for an afternoon ride. Stopped to fill up with gas. It's the starter button, and heard an ugly grinding sound. Followed by the dreaded Ziiiing!!!

Is this my starter?
Can a hack like me change it out?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How old is ur battery? Maybe time for a replacement?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »

The Zing probably means it's a starter clutch issue.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 08:08:11 PM »

My tech at the dealership replaced mine when it failed on my 11 SESG. Way cheaper than a new starter.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »

Given the description it's likely the drive Mark.  On your 2006 you've got to open the primary to take the starter off the bike.  It's more of a job to get the starter off and back on the bike then it is to actually work inside the starter.  Have an exploded view from a parts manual and you'll be good to go.

The drives were the same from 2006 all the way back to 1990 (I think that's right).  All Balls is a good aftermarket version.  The Drag Specialties drive has always served well too.  No need to spend the money Harley will ask for a starter when for $100 or so you can buy a drive, a primary gasket and a quart of fluid.

Entirely one guy's experience; I've had poor luck over the years with aftermarket starters.  So if you're considering that, at least in my experience, I'd rather repair the stock piece.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »

What Don said ^^.  The 2006 and earlier starters take more time to remove than the later models, but if you have a manual it's pretty straightforward.  You won't need a complete starter, the actual starter motor is a high quality piece that rarely fails.  In a Harley, starter failures are almost always a result of the overrunning clutch (drive) failing.  You can buy a kit from Harley that includes parts you most likely won't need, or you can just buy the clutch unit itself for about half the price from the aftermarket.  Back when I changed mine I just found the clutch unit online versus paying Harley for shafts and springs I didn't need from their kit.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »

When you get the primary cover off you may find the starter flywheel teeth bad.  On the 06 and older bikes like GRC and 2Lane stated the starter has no teeth.  The teeth are on a jack shaft that engage to the flywheel teeth.
If the jackshaft teeth and ringear teeth are bad the aftermarket makes a different ratio of set of teeth than stock that will crank the motor over better.  Hopefully it is just your starter but could entail a lot more work that HDdude could do if not mechanically inclined.  2007 and up harley made it much easier.  Good luck.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:24:50 PM »

Gonna have it towed to HD Dude on Friday. Thanks for all the input.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 03:00:13 PM »

Update:

It's all good now!

In addition to the starter clutch Jim found a few other things, including the cause. I hope I explain this all correctly. It appears that the compensator nut had loosened up. This caused slack in the primary chain which led to engine kick-back when starting. The kick back damaged the starter clutch and the idler gear. It also busted some teeth on the starter ring. In addition to that the primary gears on the back side of the clutch basket had about 1/8" play in them. This led to an overall sloppiness in the drive train. So he changed them all out for a set by Drag along with a lifetime starter clutch. He also put in a new compensator nut and a new rotor for the stator.

The whole bike feels nice and tight, and the clutch action has improved. The release point is a little bit closer to the grip, and the drive train does not "grab" when slipping the clutch doing slow cone work.

Just in time for SUMMER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »

Glad you got it all sorted Mark.  The current primaries have had a host of problems.  The prior version like yours (and mine) were nearly bulletproof; with the exception of the primary nut sometimes coming loose.  Harley changed the tightening spec and method and after that the problem seemed to mostly go away.  So you're likely good for a very long time now.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »

Glad you got it fixed.  Funny how one little thing can led to so many other issues.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.