Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Parts to Make Your Special Places Tingle (in a good way)  (Read 3063 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Parts to Make Your Special Places Tingle (in a good way)
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »

It's a multi-stage powder coat that color shifts a little depending on light intensity and angle.  Hit it right there's even an almost pearl effect on the wider surfaces.  Thinkin' I'm going to like it a lot once installed.

Nice.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »

Sure looks good Don. Going to be a perfect match for your bike. Can't wait to see the outside
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 10:26:50 PM »

Twolane,  With what I've seen you put together Wille G should have hired you as his replacement!!!

Not sure I could have followed in Willie's footsteps.  After all, I don't need to put skulls on a jock strap... :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »

Does the colored powder coating on the juggs help with cooling, heat dissipation?

Mark, any difference is minimal.  The original powder coating is removed before the new goes on.  So while the new coat may be slightly thicker it's not as extreme as one might initially think.  In this case it's a two stage powder/clear so, again, a little additive difference.  Not extreme though. 

The other engine I did in this way I was curious about.  So took a few temp measures on different days before disassembly and kept track of the data.  Then after the engine was built took measures again on days of comparable weather.

In the before and after comparison I did see slightly more heat.  In comparisons that were admittedly difficult to keep precisely even I did see that slightly greater heat after those rides that were as comparable as I could make them.  Even then, however, I could not blame all of the relatively small difference I saw on the powder coat work since part of the engine work included work that raised the compression and changed other factors in the engine that, by themselves, would have generated more heat/power.

It'll be the same with this one.  Going from a basically 95" engine with a small cam to 98" with compression up around 10.2:1 and the 625 cams.  Even if the stock powder coating were still in place the engine would generate a little more heat.

My only actual concern with the heat question though is that the first generation SERGs didn't come with an oil cooler.  I've never had reason to add one.  With this bit of engine work it's something I might end up doing.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 10:46:41 PM »

Sure looks good Don. Going to be a perfect match for your bike. Can't wait to see the outside

That is definitely affirmed my friend.  Still have to get a cam plate and oil pump on the way.  After that all the parts will be in hand.  Then will just need to find or make a happy weekend to give the bike it's goodies.  Really looking forward to feeling the difference in the before and after ride.  I'm a big fan of the performance profiles of the bikes I've ridden built correctly around this cam.  So it's like the old Carly Simon song; "Anticipation...."  :2vrolijk_21: .

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »

Not sure I could have followed in Willie's footsteps.  After all, I don't need to put skulls on a jock strap... :drink:

:D :D :D

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »

That is definitely affirmed my friend.  Still have to get a cam plate and oil pump on the way.  After that all the parts will be in hand.  Then will just need to find or make a happy weekend to give the bike it's goodies.  Really looking forward to feeling the difference in the before and after ride.  I'm a big fan of the performance profiles of the bikes I've ridden built correctly around this cam.  So it's like the old Carly Simon song; "Anticipation...."  :2vrolijk_21: .

That cam has been on my thoughts also to replace the one in the 117, just not sure if its enough bang for buck to make the change. Hope your happy weekend comes soon for you
Most great stores start with a bad decision

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »

Looks a fine build you got going on there twolane,
my fav cam done a 110 bolt-on  96" Fatboy, also in my 117 CVO softail

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »

Congratulations on the new parts! My friends give me Hell for spending what I do on my bike. I've put more into it than what it's worth. But when you find "the one", resale value isn't a concern. We work to have fun! Hope the build goes well.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 11:08:49 PM »

Congratulations on the new parts! My friends give me Hell for spending what I do on my bike. I've put more into it than what it's worth. But when you find "the one", resale value isn't a concern. We work to have fun! Hope the build goes well.

I understand and that really is the way I am with this old Road Glide.  It is so dialed in to me.  Bars, seat, windscreen, everything.  There's nothing with it I am dissatisfied with and I so completely distrust the MoCo's new efforts.  It's not difficult to maintain and I know every nut and bolt and wire tie on the bike.  Is it worth (to most) spending a few grand on?  Course not.  Worth it to me though.  The bike makes me happy.  It's all good.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 12:13:15 AM »

Your model is the Godfather to them all and it is distinctly yours!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.