Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: CVO Twin Cooled Oil Cooler Project  (Read 12229 times)

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)
CVO Twin Cooled Oil Cooler Project
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »

Hi folks,

So I had an idea to add an oil cooler to my 2015 CVO SG.  The bike has 54K miles and is working well but I do modifications and projects on a regular basis.  The twin cooling system has always caught my interest and I've always wondered if it really worked all that well at all.

Like most CVOs mine runs a bit to warm for my liking. Besides, the bike simply runs better when it's cooler.  I've done s number of mods to the bike. one such mod was to take control of the cooling fans.  They always came on way too late IMO so I have them starting now based on engine temp, not water temp.  Anyway, I'll not get into that now.

Before I dove too deep into the cooling system I wanted to try a project to install a water-cooled oil cooler.  The project was eye opening experience.  Anyone with a twin cooled Harley should read this paper.  If you are like me I strongly suggest you remove the thermostat from your twin cooled motor. In the end that change alone produced a huge reduction in engine temp.

Anyway, I placed all of the project notes, pictures and test results in the file at this link.  The PDF file is about 2.6mb so be careful if you not on wifi.

http://sta-bul.com/projects/OilCoolerProjectPhase1.pdf

Hope you enjoy and learn something like I did.

Best Regards,

Tim

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: CVO Twin Cooled Oil Cooler Project
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

If you want the bike to run cooler, buy a tuner and re-flash it.  The OE Calibrations are very lean in order to meet tough emission requirements which causes the high combustion chamber temps.     

I live in a state that does not emission test bikes.  I have removed my cat and then re-flashed my CVO Street Glide with a Vance and Hines FP3, now my fans barely ever run except for the most extreme stop and go traffic on HOT days.    Sometimes I run them manually just to make sure they don't freeze up from lack of use.    The comfort level is so much higher because your right side calf and thigh is no longer roasting...

Your bike will run better and cooler and you will be happier  :)

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »

Hi folks,

So I had an idea to add an oil cooler to my 2015 CVO SG.  The bike has 54K miles and is working well but I do modifications and projects on a regular basis.  The twin cooling system has always caught my interest and I've always wondered if it really worked all that well at all.

Like most CVOs mine runs a bit to warm for my liking. Besides, the bike simply runs better when it's cooler.  I've done s number of mods to the bike. one such mod was to take control of the cooling fans.  They always came on way too late IMO so I have them starting now based on engine temp, not water temp. Anyway, I'll not get into that now.

Before I dove too deep into the cooling system I wanted to try a project to install a water-cooled oil cooler.  The project was eye opening experience.  Anyone with a twin cooled Harley should read this paper.  If you are like me I strongly suggest you remove the thermostat from your twin cooled motor. In the end that change alone produced a huge reduction in engine temp.

Anyway, I placed all of the project notes, pictures and test results in the file at this link.  The PDF file is about 2.6mb so be careful if you not on wifi.

Hope you enjoy and learn something like I did.

Best Regards,

Tim

Wow interesting! I agree with the fans to late, mine seldom run at all. How did you take control of the fans?
Thanks,
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »

Not to discount your efforts but head fans go a long way in cooling these motors down. The software, such as tts, allows tuning the factory fans without external control.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:49:04 AM by HD Street Performance »

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »

Not to discount your efforts but head fans go a long way in cooking these motors down. The software, such as tts, allows tuning the factory fans without external control.

Cooling?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »

Yes, hate this phone. Cooling

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 11:08:42 PM »

Yes, hate this phone. Cooling

ha ha.  No worries.  I understood what you meant.

Hey folks,

I did not post this thread to start yet another debate over how "best" to cool your Harley.  I know about head fans, I know about tuning etc...  I was sharing this information to let folks with "Twin Cooling" know that if they remove their thermostat that the system has a lot of extra capacity to remove heat from the heads when the thermostat is removed.  A significant amount of heat for that matter.  It's a simple mod that only takes an hour.  And with the thermostat out refilling the system and getting the air out is easier as the cooling system is a loop with the bypass removed.  I'm just sharing what I've found that's all.

As for head fans, something simply does not "seem right" if I have to add head fans to a bike with water cooling in the heads.  Furthermore, the twin cool system works at all speeds, even better at high speeds where-as the head fans work more at low to no speed.  Anyway, I have done tests to the effect of blowing air across the head and it does help.  But frankly i think that water cooling from the twin cooled system is better solution as it removes the heat from the inside, from around the valves, whereas the fan cooling is cooling the surface temp of the head, not the core.

Regards,  Tim

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:56:35 AM by TRS300 »

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »

Wow interesting! I agree with the fans to late, mine seldom run at all. How did you take control of the fans?
Thanks,
Mikey

I had a feeling this question would come up since I mentioned it.  There are a number of ways you can do this but it depends on your skill level and how comfortable you feel in altering things on your bike.  I suppose I could write a "How-To" if there was enough interest.  But here's a list of different ways to do this... Which one is best is up to you.

1.) Tap the wires that go to the temp sensor on the bottom left radiator and run a jumper circuit that has ~ 390<>400 ohm resistor and an on/off switch where you can reach it (I would mount it via a hole in the plastic inner shroud in the lower itself where it's not noticable). The switch is so you can defeat the effect of the resistor in the jumper wire.  The resistor fakes the signal to the ECU that the water temp is hotter than it really is.  This is a great solution because the ECU will still shut down the fans when the bike gets moving. What it does too is run the fans and the pump for a few minutes every time you shut down the bike.  So even if you make a quick stop (for gas for example) on a hot day the fans and the pump will cool down the motor while filling up. When you take off again the heads have been "pe-cooled" during the pit stop.  If you do not like that the fans run after shutdown, simply flick the switch to "off" and break the resistor circuit and the system will return to normal and fans will shutdown.

Edit: The lower the value of the resistor the sooner the fans will turn on, you should play with what value works best for you. If you still think they come on too late put a lower value resistor in the loop.  Do not go below 100 ohm I would say.  It take a complete short circuit, or open circuit in the sensor loop to throw a CEL. As long as the sensor is plugged in you should not see an open circuit. And as long as you have a resistor in the jumper you will not see a short circuit.

Edit2:  If you do not want the fans to operate after shutdown at all you can use a simple reed relay switch that closes when accessory wire is powered. that way the resistor is engaged only when the run switch is engaged.

2.) Take full control of the fans by switch:  a.) use a 1K ohm resistor jumper on the fan circuit to fool the ECU into thinking the fans are ok and in the loop.  Then run the fans any method you like (switch. thermal switch, etc...)

3.) I have a microcontroller that reads information off the CAN bus and does a few things for me.  One of the things it does is directly control my fans based on head temperature.  I can adjust when the fans start and I can adjust when I want to shut them down based on MPH.  I have my fan set to engage ant any speed less than 50 mph and engine temp is greater than 170.  But this is a bit beyond what most folks can do.  Oddly, my system will not run the fans after shutdown because I've not taken over control of the water pump...  I like the "Run after S/D" feature... So I may actually add another control circuit to manage a resistor jumper on the cooling water thermal sensor to get that feature working...

Not sure if any of this made sense but there it is...

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:28:23 AM by TRS300 »

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 03:22:47 AM »

If you want the bike to run cooler, buy a tuner and re-flash it.  The OE Calibrations are very lean in order to meet tough emission requirements which causes the high combustion chamber temps.     

I live in a state that does not emission test bikes.  I have removed my cat and then re-flashed my CVO Street Glide with a Vance and Hines FP3, now my fans barely ever run except for the most extreme stop and go traffic on HOT days.    Sometimes I run them manually just to make sure they don't freeze up from lack of use.    The comfort level is so much higher because your right side calf and thigh is no longer roasting...

Your bike will run better and cooler and you will be happier  :)

I also have an FP3. 

What calibrations did you use to flash the ECM to get this good result?

My right calf is still uncomfortable and it's from the exhaust so I know the bike is running lean.  I've not found any help on the web on how to get the mixture to be richer with the FP3.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 03:25:51 AM by TRS300 »

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 08:20:00 AM »

You might want to add a note that this is applicable to the 14-16 MY bikes.  In '17 they removed the thermostat and made the pump motor variable speed.

Cool project, BTW.  Thanks for sharing.

Big Lew
IBA #595

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »

You might want to add a note that this is applicable to the 14-16 MY bikes.  In '17 they removed the thermostat and made the pump motor variable speed.

Cool project, BTW.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing that BigLew.  I'd be curious to read the manual to see how they are controlling the speed of the pump.  I'll bet you they are holding back on circulation and the condition is similar (not using all the cooling available).  For some reason Harley is (was) using water temp as the control variable, whereas I think they should be using engine temp instead.  Maybe that is what they are doing in the new design, maybe not.  On any day > 80 degs your pump should be running at 100% speed, if it's not they are doing the same mistake they did with the thermostat but just with a different design (supplying too warm of water) .

I suspect someone realized that you could use variable speed to control the pump and get the same effect as the old design plus save the cost of the thermostat, yet not change the temperature control logic that was with the thermostat.  The T-Stat would begin to open at 160 deg and be fully open at 190 deg.  I bet they are ramping the pump speed up on the same guidelines.

If I had your bike I would check it, and if it is doing that I would find a way to get the pump to run at 100% sooner (possibly using the resistor jumper on the coolant temp sensor) But who knows... Maybe HD would surprise me and they actually are driving the pump based on engine temp instead of coolant temp...

Thank you the info.

Regards,

Tim

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »

The bike has 54K miles and is working well

So are you on the original water pump?
Mikey

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »

The bike has 54K miles and is working well

So are you on the original water pump?
Mikey

I think so yes.  I bought the bike from a dealer and they had all the service records.  Bike was still under warrantee at the time.  No issues related tp cooling system were listed.

I know a lot of folks get in a twist about the water pump and water cooled system.  But frankly, I'm not sure why.  The bike can run just fine without the precision cooled water system (you just need to use common sense and not be riding like a bat out of heck if it fails).  With all the electronics ECU. EFI, Etc. The water system is the least of my concerns. Even when on a trip away from home.  This is a precision (targeted) cooling system (not a fully water cooled engine) it's the best situation you can have.  You get the benefits of water cooled heads and if something goes wrong you're not stranded on the side of the road.

FYI:  You may know this but apparently many failures on these pumps is a weak solder connection that comes loose.  The pump it self is a magnet drive (no coupling) and the motor is brushless.  Frankly the thing should run forever (short of bearing failure) if the wire connections do not come apart.  I may open mine up to inspect and maybe secure things just as a preventive maintenance step.

--
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:22:18 AM by TRS300 »

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 02:29:14 AM »

.... The software, such as tts, allows tuning the factory fans without external control.

Can you expand on this?  What is tts? And are you saying it can set the Cooling temperature and MPH targets that control when the radiator fans run?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »

TTS mastertune,  read up on it. These parameters are unlocked.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 03:20:48 AM »

Can you expand on this?  What is tts? And are you saying it can set the Cooling temperature and MPH targets that control when the radiator fans run?
Here you go:  http://www.mastertune.net/
If you want peace, prepare for war.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »

Here you go:  http://www.mastertune.net/

Thank you for the link.  OK, so I've been reading up on TTS and other tuners and also been reading papers from "Dr. Dyno"  (which is great by the way).

So what I cannot see is if you disconnect the O2 sensors with a TTS tune?  And if not, and the closed loop system is still engaged how can you apply a custom tune for all the time closed loop is engaged?  It always going to try and achieve 1.0 lamda if the O2 sensors and closed loop is still active.  What an I missing?

--

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 01:50:52 AM »

So what I cannot see is if you disconnect the O2 sensors with a TTS tune?  And if not, and the closed loop system is still engaged how can you apply a custom tune for all the time closed loop is engaged?  It always going to try and achieve 1.0 lamda if the O2 sensors and closed loop is still active.  What an I missing?
The missing part is that the TTS (and other flash-type tuners) can change the fuel map to obtain the desired lamda (AFR) in closed loop.  So the O2 sensors are still "in the loop" lol, but now the system is injecting more fuel to get an AFR that is richer than stoichiometric (14.7 with pure gas, not with E10).

BTW, concerning HD and their warranty:  HD will void the powertrain warranty if a non-EPA approved map has ever been installed, and their ECU sets a "flag" when a different map is installed.  Mastertune says its device can install a new map, then later re-install the original EPA approved map, without leaving any trace.  They also say PowerVision, FP3, and other tuning devices cannot do this, and leave a flag set that tells HD you've been a bad boy.  FWIW
If you want peace, prepare for war.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 02:11:24 AM »

The missing part is that the TTS (and other flash-type tuners) can change the fuel map to obtain the desired lamda (AFR) in closed loop.  So the O2 sensors are still "in the loop" lol, but now the system is injecting more fuel to get an AFR that is richer than stoichiometric (14.7 with pure gas, not with E10).

BTW, concerning HD and their warranty:  HD will void the powertrain warranty if a non-EPA approved map has ever been installed, and their ECU sets a "flag" when a different map is installed.  Mastertune says its device can install a new map, then later re-install the original EPA approved map, without leaving any trace.  They also say PowerVision, FP3, and other tuning devices cannot do this, and leave a flag set that tells HD you've been a bad boy.  FWIW

Thanks for you response.  And thanks for the comments about warranty.  At 54K miles my 2015 is no longer on warranty now.  Back to the subject of tuners.  The narrow band O2 sensor on our bikes cannot read a richer mixture than ~ 14.1 AFR,  Lower than that it is out of range.  So if the TTS, FP3 (which I have) were to get the bike to run richer it would have to force the bike to operate from maps only (ignore closed loop feedback entirely) or at least ignore them outside of their readability range. 

This paper is what got me going on these questions.  It's an excellent write-up that tells me the limitations of my FP3. I do not see TTS listed in the tuner comparison chart which is why the questions started.

http://www.drdyno.com/AIM_2010-09.html

--

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 06:53:31 AM »

With a TTS the tune can go "in" and "out" of closed loop operation. For example, my tune is set to only be in closed loop during the rpm range that I wanted to control fuel mileage a little better. My other map has the entire tune in open loop.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »

Thank you Mr Warlock. That makes sense. And is actually a pretty cool feature too.  Very interesting...

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »

Thanks for you response.  And thanks for the comments about warranty.  At 54K miles my 2015 is no longer on warranty now.  Back to the subject of tuners.  The narrow band O2 sensor on our bikes cannot read a richer mixture than ~ 14.1 AFR,  Lower than that it is out of range.  So if the TTS, FP3 (which I have) were to get the bike to run richer it would have to force the bike to operate from maps only (ignore closed loop feedback entirely) or at least ignore them outside of their readability range. 

This paper is what got me going on these questions.  It's an excellent write-up that tells me the limitations of my FP3. I do not see TTS listed in the tuner comparison chart which is why the questions started.

http://www.drdyno.com/AIM_2010-09.html

--
When the VEs are set in tts you can dial in any afr you wish an that happens in open loop when out of the NB rsnge

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »

Yes. Started reading thru tts users manual yesterday. A lot of good information in general on how things work in the ECM. The software is very impressive also... I may pull the trigger with tts.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »

ha ha.  No worries.  I understood what you meant.

Hey folks,

I did not post this thread to start yet another debate over how "best" to cool your Harley.  I know about head fans, I know about tuning etc...  I was sharing this information to let folks with "Twin Cooling" know that if they remove their thermostat that the system has a lot of extra capacity to remove heat from the heads when the thermostat is removed.  A significant amount of heat for that matter.  It's a simple mod that only takes an hour.  And with the thermostat out refilling the system and getting the air out is easier as the cooling system is a loop with the bypass removed.  I'm just sharing what I've found that's all.
Regards,  Tim

Tim, is that all you did was remove the T-stat and put in a hose connector? Any wiring changes?
Better yet, any pics?
Dan
Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »

Good work and results.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »

FYI, FWIW,
Just got off the phone w/ JJ @ UltraCool and they NOW HAVE an oil cooler for the Road Glide Ultra, CVO etc. W/ water cooling.

He is sending me pics soon.  :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :bananarock:

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »

Here it is

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

One more

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »

Tim, is that all you did was remove the T-stat and put in a hose connector? Any wiring changes?
Better yet, any pics?
Dan

Hi Dan.  Yes, all I did was remove the T-Stat.  The picture of the pluming is shown in the bottom of page 5 on the report listed below.

FYI:  The last time I was home the air temp was in the 55 to low 60s and the engine temp never got above 170 which might be a bit too cool...  So FYI I am thinking to maybe control the speed of the water pump like the newer bikes do. But that is another project :)  Besides, the bike runs great that cool and I honestly do not like riding in that cool of weather conditions anyway.

-

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »

Good work and results.

Thank you!  Much appreciated.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 10:46:42 PM »

Thanks for the info TRS !

Enigmatic

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »

very good info! Thanks! I may give this a try. I have a couple questions. First, is there a fitment issue if you only use the water\oil cooler without the adapter plate? and where did you tie the cooler in with the radiators?

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »

very good info! Thanks! I may give this a try. I have a couple questions. First, is there a fitment issue if you only use the water\oil cooler without the adapter plate? and where did you tie the cooler in with the radiators?

Yes, the adapter plate was need to offset the (filter + cooler) assembly.  Without the offset the filter cannot be installed because the crank sensor get's in the way.

The oil cooler is on the Cooled Water supply line in the water pump discharge going to the heads. The solid tubing (normal supply line) had to be removed to make room for the preformed hoses.  I elected to cut the center bracket on the OEM Supply & Return lines so that I could continue to use the OEM return line from the heads going back toward the thermostat.

This conversion is not for the faint of heart.  And you need to be willing to tweak things to get it to fit.  Since I've installed it I've not had one issue or leak but the assembly is a tight fit.  The oil filter is easily accessible still so that is a good thing.

I did all this before running any of the tests... 

After testing my recommendation would be to remove the thermostat and forget about the Oil Cooler all together. Or consider adding a conventional air cooled oil cooler.  This way you do not need to mess with the supply and return water lines or the plumbing (preformed hoses) needed to incorporate the water oil cooler assembly. 

I'll leave my assembly in place because it does work and I have bragging rights :) but after collecting test data it was clear to me that the removal of the thermostat was the largest contributor to the cooling gains I saw.

Hope this helps..

-

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »

One more thing... My install actually is a water cooled oil cooler + a billet air oil cooler that came with the adapter. I figured why not use both...

And...  If you want to gain the total benefit while the bike is not moving you should consider fooling the fans into running sooner using a resistor.  See Reply #7 on this thread.  Your fans might run more often but so what.  They will kick in at a lower water temp which will help a lot while riding at low speed, sitting still, or stopping to fuel up they may run the pump + fans and cool the engine during the pit stop.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:58:56 PM by TRS300 »

Enigmatic

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 06:10:08 AM »

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about trying it since I have an failing water pump and will be swapping it out soon. I figured maybe I'd try it out while I was there, BUT if i still have to run the adapter, I may as well install some regular style cooler. I did kinda like the fact that it could be mostly out of sight and i didn't have to find a place to stick a cooler.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 06:22:49 AM »

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about trying it since I have an failing water pump and will be swapping it out soon. I figured maybe I'd try it out while I was there, BUT if i still have to run the adapter, I may as well install some regular style cooler. I did kinda like the fact that it could be mostly out of sight and i didn't have to find a place to stick a cooler.
I chose to use the billet cooler because I had it. You could just short curcuit the external cooler by drilling an internal bypass and just run the water cooled oil cooler. The water cooler does work well and likely much better than an air cooled unit.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 06:26:17 PM »

If I didn’t ride in the 55*to 60* range,my season would be 2 months day riding only LOL. I am very interested in this though.

dieterf

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2023, 08:15:55 AM »

Hello friends,

I have the 2015 SG CVO with a new coolant pump. There is no thermostat like the old technology. Or does the new pump have these on the inside? Have you already done the oil cooler (billet cooler) conversion with a new pump?

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2023, 06:28:07 PM »

I did the water cooled oil cooler set up very similar to this and never had oil temp over 250.
I have enough parts to make a few extra kits if anyone is interested. It should fit a M8 also from the ones I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieterf

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2023, 01:13:16 PM »

Hi,
What are the options for relocating the oil filter no oil cooler connection?
just want to hook up the billet water cooler. Is there a pure oil filter offset plate?

Thanks

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2023, 04:39:00 PM »

This goes in between the oil filter and the case.

dieterf

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2023, 04:01:57 AM »

Thanks CVO Couple,

I am a little confused! That was also my idea with closing the canals! I asked Jaggs if I could close the connection with blind screws.
The answer was "Our component is designed to interrupt the oil flow, take hot engine oil outside the engine, route it through and oil cooler, and return it to the engine. This is not a good idea to use our 4702 to simply move the oil filter. There are probably better ways to move the oil filter."
Apparently that's no problem. Did you install it with the blind screws and does it work like that?
I have another question, the screw and washer for the billet cooler, what kind is that? From which manufacturer?

Thanks

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2023, 03:17:00 PM »

I modified the bypass/thermostat passage in the adapter and the spud and washer are modified to hold the cooler to the adapter.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.