Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?  (Read 12045 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 07:11:08 PM »

There was a long discussion about these a few years back, I think that at the time the concensus was that they would keep heat off the riders legs but in doing so would trap heat around the rear cylinder and starter. For that reason I would not use them.

I just spent half an hour on the search looking for this thread.......had a hell of a time finding it......but thought it was/is important for everybody to see this thread.

After you read the thread completly, I think it speaks for itself.  It certainy "appears" to validate concern.  It is my opnion that the heat shields may work O.K. in areas of the country where it doesn't get hot (anything in the triple digits).......   However, with the heat issues that we already share in common on the 103" motors and even more so on the 110" motors, I would not want to add any more heat to the rear cylinder, even if only a few degrees.

I found it most interesting that all communication with the designer and manufacturer after one of our forum members offered to use a machine that he has a machine that would measure the heat of the rear cylinder via infared, with and without the shield in place.  All of a sudden, all communication stopped. :nixweiss:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1221.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 09:30:14 PM »

Engine heat was a real problem when I first got my '06 CUSE.  True duals and tuning helped some, but in warm temps the biggest help was taking off the lowers.   Man, what an unbelievable difference with them off.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »

I have them on my bike, (the RJs version), and I don't think it damages the rear cylinder or starter.
I'm no engineer, thermal or otherwise, so I may be way off track here with my thinking.

Here is how I see it. The deflectors change the direction the heat dissapates. Heat rises, so with the deflectors, the heat rises away from your legs. It still escapes, it's just channelled forward, and away, and not to the side where your leg is. If it did trap heat to the point of causing potential damage, wouldn't the bikes go into heat management at every prolonged stop? Wouldn't engines start shutting down?

Just curious, has anybody put them on, got stuck in traffic and had the bike shut down, then pulled them off, and the bike ran okay?
I was in Las Vegas two years ago and was stuck on the strip. The bike never went into heat management, and I was so glad I had the RJ heat deflectors on my bike.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »

I went to Kuryakyn's website and can't find these. ???????????

B B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »

I went to Kuryakyn's website and can't find these. ???????????

B B
Check here Bro - Saddle Shields for H-D Touring Models

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 10:34:26 PM »

OK to keep up with the Jones' Rhino, I bought a IR thermometer @ Radio Shack for $50. I was in such a hurry to get to a meeting in Charleston that when I got there I realized... no batteries. Oh well, it was a nice ride. Batteries tomorrow, report to follow.

AJ (thecoolestchickmagnetbetterthanRhino'sjester)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 10:55:05 PM »

I'm with Ironhorse, I just don't see how these things could cause a problem with the rear cylinder.  That motor can take a lot more heat than we can, lol.  Twolane was here a couple weeks ago and we all got caught up in a traffic jam.  Heck we were all HOT and in fact his and JR's engines went into heat managment mode.  Just seems to me that all the 103s (my '06 melon included) and the 110s get hot, hot, hot when you are stuck in traffic whether they are bone stock or modified with pipes, a/c, sert, pc, etc, etc.  If these things will keep my thighs from getting fried that is a good thing.  I'm going to give them a try. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »

I'm with Ironhorse, I just don't see how these things could cause a problem with the rear cylinder.  That motor can take a lot more heat than we can, lol.  Twolane was here a couple weeks ago and we all got caught up in a traffic jam.  Heck we were all HOT and in fact his and JR's engines went into heat managment mode.  Just seems to me that all the 103s (my '06 melon included) and the 110s get hot, hot, hot when you are stuck in traffic whether they are bone stock or modified with pipes, a/c, sert, pc, etc, etc.  If these things will keep my thighs from getting fried that is a good thing.  I'm going to give them a try. 

I bought a pair in Daytona this past bike week - the Kury version.  Temps were in the 80's - lots of sitting still in traffic and the bike never shut down.  Will be interesting to see how they perform when it is 100+ in a couple of months. So far very pleased with them.  Spoke to a Daytona motorcycle officer with a pair of black ones on his bike and he told me he had no problems with the heat issue we are referring to here.  Said his seargent had ordered them for $39 a pair for their Harleys but he did not know the name of the vendor.

They do an excellent job shielding heat away from the legs. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »

OK to keep up with the Jones' Rhino, I bought a IR thermometer @ Radio Shack for $50. I was in such a hurry to get to a meeting in Charleston that when I got there I realized... no batteries. Oh well, it was a nice ride. Batteries tomorrow, report to follow.

AJ (thecoolestchickmagnetbetterthanRhino'sjester)

AJ, don't let Sassy see that signature...she'll "demagnetize" you and your Jester real quick like.  :o :P :huepfenlol2:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »

Engine heat was a real problem when I first got my '06 CUSE.  True duals and tuning helped some, but in warm temps the biggest help was taking off the lowers.   Man, what an unbelievable difference with them off.

DZ,

So glad to read this. I have read in other threads about the rear cylinder heat issue that it did not seem to matter whether the lowers were open, shut, on or off. Common sense tells me that it would be better with them off. I replaced my Bassanis after getting a Corbin Dual Tour Seat that put me too close to the "power curve" and was literally scorching my leg in 85 degree weather. Getting the power curve off helped (went with V&H true duals) but it is still HOT on evening runs. Rode to dinner last night with 80 degree temps and light winds. After riding pretty much straight there (about 25 miles) my rear cylinder temp on the right side middle of the air fins was 354. Two friends, one with a 88 upgrade to a 95 and a stock 96 hp engine were both at around 280. All three of our head temps (on the chrome) were 100-104. I even have most of my AFR at 12.9 from 750 to 4500 RPM's at 20 to 80 % throttle (MAP) and the close loop bias was bottomed to 409.
This heat thing is gonna be trouble this summer here in Florida for sure. I'm taking off my lowers AND installing heat sgileds. I used them on my 05 UC and never had a problem in 12,000 miles in one year in Florida.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:32:09 AM by Robmay »

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 09:31:46 PM »

I took the lowers off and went for a 200 mile ride today in all types of weather and riding conditions. Runs the cylinder temp anout 50 degrees cooler on the hottest day we have had this tear (90 degrees). Ran anywhere from 294 to 308 on the rear in the same place.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 09:49:07 PM »

Harley is going to sell a set of Mid Frame Heat deflectors thats painted to match the black inner fairing.
GtX thermal they call it. 
58022-07.
Coming soon !

Tros

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »

I would think using only the left side Kuryakyn shield would enhance rear cylinder/head cooling while moving but would most likely make the right side noticeably warmer.   

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 11:53:47 PM »

One side mounted to draw air past the rear cylinder. Now that's a novel idea! I don't think many of us could stand the imbalanced look on our bikes though. Something akin to mounting only one saddlebag and moving on down the road because we only need to carry one saddlebag of stuff today. Just not going to happen.
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here but since the heat shields deflect air after it has cooled the rear cylinder, as long as the air has someplace to go without blockage, will it really cause any problems or are we just worrying for nothing?  I have the heat shields and have not had noticeable problems.  My 103 has always ran on the hot side to me.  The shields did not make it worse.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 21 queries.