Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?  (Read 12097 times)

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
Re: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »

Is this a do er yourself install ? Curious about the fitment on the batwing...
Thanks

Guess I am asleep at the wheel. I had "dragon wings" on the brain.  :drink:  :-\

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 08:11:44 PM »

Guess I am asleep at the wheel. I had "dragon wings" on the brain.  :drink:  :-\

At this point, I have had enough Dos XX's for this to make sense to me.

So the answer is "yes".   :drink: :drink: :drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »

The wings really do work...it's like they funnel the air in.  On a couple of rides this year, I'd open them up mid afternoon because I was getting a bit warm, then forget I had done so later when the sun started down, and was going daaauuuum, I'm getting cold!!  I'd realize it and reach down and close them...big difference.

It's the Third Law of Thermodynamics:  Give the boys some air... :2vrolijk_21:
I ordered a set of the wings...decided that I liked the detented adjustments, and there doesn't seem to be any fitment issues like the Freedom Wings...guess I'll get used to the vanes or whatever those ridges are on them...I got used to the leather tour pak  so I guess I can get used to them...from you're appraisal Terry, they sound like they work really well...thanks,
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »

Rob....dont' get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing about how much difference it would make to the rider to have them off...no doubt that the lowers block some air flow to your legs when moving down the road.  I'm just talking about how much it helps keep the engine cooler, and just don't see any significant gains or losses to engine temps.  For rider comfort, I'm sure it makes a difference.

T..... see Reply#24 and 25 of this post 50-60 degrees on my bike as far as rear cylinder temp is a good bit of difference on engine temp. I have an 07 RG stock 96ci and this is comparable to that now. I hope you didn't think I was offended by your post, I was just looking for an excuse to  :drink:.................. ;)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 03:29:46 PM »

Rob....that is a lot of difference!

I'm not easily offended... :beerchug:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »

I'm not easily offended... :beerchug:

That only means we need to try harder  :bananarock: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »

I attended a HOG event on the weekend and had a chance to speak one-on-one with Steve Phillips, Harley-Davidson Vice President, Quality, Reliability, and Technical Services.  Several of us ended up discussing the heat issues with the new 96 motors and the 110's.  Evidently Harley is working on a new catalyst (?) to allow the engines to run a bit cooler yet still meet EPA guidelines after 2010 - still air cooled.  He stated that the Moco could not tune a bike similar to a SERT or other after market module, due to EPA.  Same reason no true duals, etc.  His response to the questions on heat were - get a pair of the heat shields.  That was not that well received, not surprisingly.  On the warranty questions on after market modifications - he said "may qualify".  Depends on what has been done, how bike has been treated, etc.  Some dealers honor some things while others do not, and he suggested moving it up the chain of command if a satisfactory resolution was not reached at the dealer level re: warranty.

Anyway, since he suggested the heat shields, it answered this question from the Moco's perspective.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 09:49:46 AM »

I attended a HOG event on the weekend and had a chance to speak one-on-one with Steve Phillips, Harley-Davidson Vice President, Quality, Reliability, and Technical Services.  Several of us ended up discussing the heat issues with the new 96 motors and the 110's.  Evidently Harley is working on a new catalyst (?) to allow the engines to run a bit cooler yet still meet EPA guidelines after 2010 - still air cooled.  He stated that the Moco could not tune a bike similar to a SERT or other after market module, due to EPA.  Same reason no true duals, etc.  His response to the questions on heat were - get a pair of the heat shields.  That was not that well received, not surprisingly.  On the warranty questions on after market modifications - he said "may qualify".  Depends on what has been done, how bike has been treated, etc.  Some dealers honor some things while others do not, and he suggested moving it up the chain of command if a satisfactory resolution was not reached at the dealer level re: warranty.

Anyway, since he suggested the heat shields, it answered this question from the Moco's perspective.
Hmmm. I think we as riders are smart enough to get off the bike before we get so hot that we blow a gasket or seize our internal motors. However the motors that they have in these bikes don't seem to having the same luck as we humans. The heat shields protect us, but doesn't do squat for the motor overheating and causing damage.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »

That only means we need to try harder  :bananarock: .

You know I have buttons...but this kind of thing is not one of them... 8)

I still like the idea of a little squirel cage fan/motor mounted in front of the battery box to blow the heat forward when sitting in traffic.  And the squirels are free...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »

Robmay,

Do your lowers have the adjustable doors in them?  If so did you try to just remove the doors but retain the outers?

I've been thinking about doing that to see if it makes any diff in engine temps -- I love the lowers - I have a lock door on the right and CD storage on the left, but don't want to face a full summer of riding in southeast Texas like last Sept on my 110....

Mark

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »

Robmay,

Do your lowers have the adjustable doors in them?  If so did you try to just remove the doors but retain the outers?

I've been thinking about doing that to see if it makes any diff in engine temps -- I love the lowers - I have a lock door on the right and CD storage on the left, but don't want to face a full summer of riding in southeast Texas like last Sept on my 110....

Mark

Mark,

No I did not try that. I tried them open and closed (which did not make a difference on mine believe it or not) but did not try removing them. I never used the storage area so I didn't have that to contend with when removing them. I like the looks of them but would rather have the cooler air for the summer. I will probably reinstall them next winter.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »

The wings really do work...it's like they funnel the air in.  On a couple of rides this year, I'd open them up mid afternoon because I was getting a bit warm, then forget I had done so later when the sun started down, and was going daaauuuum, I'm getting cold!!  I'd realize it and reach down and close them...big difference.

It's the Third Law of Thermodynamics:  Give the boys some air... :2vrolijk_21:
Terry,
You've got a Clearview, right?  Do the shaded dragon wings match pretty well?  I read in on of the threads here the dragon wings or the Freedom wings matched better.  I live close to dood, so it's all about the "look"  ;)...
Thanks,
Tony

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »

Hmmm. I think we as riders are smart enough to get off the bike before we get so hot that we blow a gasket or seize our internal motors. However the motors that they have in these bikes don't seem to having the same luck as we humans. The heat shields protect us, but doesn't do squat for the motor overheating and causing damage.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Fired00d,

One lady on a stock (no true duals no adds to engine - nada) Ultra (96) was explaining just that to Steve.  She had melted 2 sets of rainsuit pants due to the heat. The pants had NOT touched pipes, etc. - just the heat off the engine according to her had melted them.  Told him it was just reacting to a problem rather than fixing it. He told the group he had ridden an 07 Ultra from San Diego to North Carolina last year.  At some point, he added the saddle heat shileds himself to the bike, so the Moco knows firsthand.

At this point, after the true duals & SERT & stage 1 mine runs cooler than it did but when I ride in 100 degree plus heat this summer, I wonder.........?????

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2007, 02:06:30 PM »

Terry,
You've got a Clearview, right?  Do the shaded dragon wings match pretty well?  I read in on of the threads here the dragon wings or the Freedom wings matched better.  I live close to dood, so it's all about the "look"  ;)...
Thanks,
Tony
You want a "Rat" bike like mines? ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.