Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Condor Wheel Chock  (Read 13813 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Condor Wheel Chock
« on: April 17, 2007, 11:05:44 PM »

I have a question for those of you that have one of these. Do you use it for parking in the garage on a daily basis? I just opened and set up mine today. I have the plate to mount to the trailer. I set it up in the garage to see how it would fit / work. I am a little worried about leaving the bike resting in the chock all the time. I'm worried about it falling over when no one is looking! I left the kick stand down and tilted a little to the left just in case.

Any opinions?

TIA, AJ  :orange:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Condor Wheel Chock
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 11:16:50 PM »

AJ, I've got the trailer only model, but I think this still applies to what you're asking about . . . . . . At night, I always used to just run the bike in and leave it standing in the Condor overnight.  Did it that way many, many times without incident.  But, last fall at MV I came out one morning to find the bike leaning over inside the trailer and resting on the right side edge of the batwing.  I have fairing mounted mirrors and either the weight of the bike or the impact with the trailer wall broke the right side mirror.

I attribute it to the fact that the front tire was only about 300 or 400 miles old at that point and probably still had some mold release chemical on the edge where the Condor was gripping, but the point is, it only takes one time to have an accident that results in damage to your bike.  No doubt the damage would have been worse had the trailer wall not been there to catch and support the bike, such as in your garage.

I now loosly tie down the bike overnight while it's in the trailer to preven anything like that from happening again.  I still think the Condor is an awesome product and makes tieing a bike down on or in a trailer child's play compared to a Pingel or other similarly styled chock, but I no longer think that it's design is fool-proof, like I once thought before that episode in MV happened.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 11:38:04 PM »

B, That's kinda what I thought. Like I said, it is in the stand with most of the weight on the kick stand. It is close enough to the wall that if it does fall over the fairing will lean up against it for now. I guess for a daily basis there would be no need to leave it loaded in an upright position.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:59:38 PM »

B, That's kinda what I thought. Like I said, it is in the stand with most of the weight on the kick stand. It is close enough to the wall that if it does fall over the fairing will lean up against it for now. I guess for a daily basis there would be no need to leave it loaded in an upright position.

AJ, I've got a competitor's version of the same type of product installed on the lift in the garage and in the trailer.  Any bike I've ever pulled in the trailer has of course also always been tied down just as if it were in a regular chock.  It may be overkill but it feels better.  The chock is great for ease of loading though.  No squirrely part getting on or off when the chock is holding it but you've got no straps pulled yet.

In the garage I do just as you describe.  Put the kickstand down.  I've had the stand up for maintenance a couple of times and then realized a day or three later the bike had been standing there.  Like Brian said, never had any problem.  But why worry about that "one time" when it's so simple to avoid it...

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 02:04:54 AM »

Well I guess the real question is whether or not to use the stand at all while in the garage? And if so what would be the advantage?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 03:04:18 AM »

Well I guess the real question is whether or not to use the stand at all while in the garage? And if so what would be the advantage?

I most often don't.  Usually pull the bike in short of the lift unless it might be there awhile.  It's more out of the way up on the lift though.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:25:55 AM »

I have one and used it for a year or more daily in the garage.  The advantage was the bike stood straight up and did not lean towards the car so I had less chance of someone hitting the bike with the car door.  I only stopped using it because I now have a center stand installed on my bike and since I got rid of a vehicle, I have one whole side of the garage to park the bike in.  THis fall when I buy another vehicle, I will go back to using the Condor.  I also have the trailer bracket installed on my trailer and plan to use that as soon as I need it.  I love the Condor, it is well worth the money.  The bike stands straight and is very stable.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 01:11:25 PM »

I have one and use it for daily parking. If I am going to leave it overnight or longer, I put the tie-down straps from the engine guards to the front of the stand. That way I know it will not fall or lean over under any conditions.   :o

Hair of the Dog

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:34:21 AM »

I use mine in the bed of my truck, on the trailer and doing the services on the bike.
Kickstand for daily ops for me and the condor sits in the corner of the garage
waiting to be used.
Great piece of gear to have.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:15:12 AM »

I've used my Condor for maintenance as much or more than my lift.  Comes in handy.   :2vrolijk_21:

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 06:43:03 PM »

I just got my pit stop and have a question...or two..

I have it on the option 2 setting...is that what most folks use..?? Plus, it's not easy to roll the bike onto it. Should I power it on to it or just push it harder..?

Since I've not done one of these yet..I'm nervous that the cradle will hit the fender or something...

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:26 PM »

I just got my pit stop and have a question...or two..

I have it on the option 2 setting...is that what most folks use..?? Plus, it's not easy to roll the bike onto it. Should I power it on to it or just push it harder..?

Since I've not done one of these yet..I'm nervous that the cradle will hit the fender or something...

Thanks

Mine is a competitor's version Ron.  But I've used what you've got a couple of times and my own of course brazillions of times.  I just drive it on.  Demonstrators at rally events do the same thing.  If I tried to push it on I'd sure as hell eventually drop the bike some time.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 09:04:05 PM »

Thanks Don...I finally quit being a pu-- and rolled it up on it. Perfect...It works great..

just another garage toy..

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »

I have the condor trailer model mounted to one of my shop lifts and also set up in my shop truck. The #2 hole (from the back) works best for the 16" wheels, no fender issues with stock fenders.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »

I have a question for those of you that have one of these. Do you use it for parking in the garage on a daily basis? I just opened and set up mine today. I have the plate to mount to the trailer. I set it up in the garage to see how it would fit / work. I am a little worried about leaving the bike resting in the chock all the time. I'm worried about it falling over when no one is looking! I left the kick stand down and tilted a little to the left just in case.

Any opinions?

TIA, AJ  :orange:

Mi amigo AJ...this is what I also do....don't trust unless the chock is fixed to the ground........ :confused5:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.