Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 03 FLHTCUI w/103 overheats  (Read 1949 times)

ultraredneck

• FLHRSEI.ORG
03 FLHTCUI w/103 overheats
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »

Ok, so I have an the CVO 103 kit on my bike (see below for bike description) and ever since I did this install it seems as though my bike overheats a lot easier (and more often) than it used to. I can only recall one time when it overheated with the stock 88ci motor, and now I think it has overheated 5-10 times. When I had the stock ECM in the bike would go through the standard overheat protection procedures (cut out one cylinder, dump fuel, then shut down the bike entirely until it cooled) but now that I have the Zippers T-Max it doesn’t do that, I only get the "Check Engine" warning light and at that point I panic because I wonder how hot the motor really is. Sitting in a traffic jam is really the only time this has happened, but I cannot let this go on I have to fix it. I am taking a trip to southern Spain this summer and I know it will be EXTREMELY hot down there...so this has got to be fixed by then.
By the way, I have just installed (but not hooked up and configured) the Autotune, so I am hoping that this will help. But, what if it doesn't? Can anyone tell me what else could cause this? I ride with others who have high compression 95ci and other builds and they don't have this problem...  :-\

2003 HD FLHTCUI
SE 103ci CVO motor kit (stroked 95ci w/SE103 Heads)
SE 6 Speed transmission
Zippers Red Shift 575 chain cams
Zippers Adjustable push-rods
Zipper High Flow 2.75 breather kit
Fueling lifters
Delkron Cam Support Plate
S&S Oil Bypass Valve (to remedy oil blow-by in the air filter)
Cometic .030 head gaskets
Thunder-Max ECM
Autotune (both Gen 1)
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
Running HD Syn 3 in all holes.

Thanks for any help!
2010 FLHTCUSE
2004 FLHRI

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: 03 FLHTCUI w/103 overheats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:25:51 PM »

Ok, so I have an the CVO 103 kit on my bike (see below for bike description) and ever since I did this install it seems as though my bike overheats a lot easier (and more often) than it used to. I can only recall one time when it overheated with the stock 88ci motor, and now I think it has overheated 5-10 times. When I had the stock ECM in the bike would go through the standard overheat protection procedures (cut out one cylinder, dump fuel, then shut down the bike entirely until it cooled) but now that I have the Zippers T-Max it doesn’t do that, I only get the "Check Engine" warning light and at that point I panic because I wonder how hot the motor really is. Sitting in a traffic jam is really the only time this has happened, but I cannot let this go on I have to fix it. I am taking a trip to southern Spain this summer and I know it will be EXTREMELY hot down there...so this has got to be fixed by then.
By the way, I have just installed (but not hooked up and configured) the Autotune, so I am hoping that this will help. But, what if it doesn't? Can anyone tell me what else could cause this? I ride with others who have high compression 95ci and other builds and they don't have this problem...  :-\

2003 HD FLHTCUI
SE 103ci CVO motor kit (stroked 95ci w/SE103 Heads)
SE 6 Speed transmission
Zippers Red Shift 575 chain cams
Zippers Adjustable push-rods
Zipper High Flow 2.75 breather kit
Fueling lifters
Delkron Cam Support Plate
S&S Oil Bypass Valve (to remedy oil blow-by in the air filter)
Cometic .030 head gaskets
Thunder-Max ECM
Autotune (both Gen 1)
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
Running HD Syn 3 in all holes.

Thanks for any help!

The AT module should help.  One other thing I think would help is to run either Amsoil or Mobil 1 Vtwin in the engine...you will get cooler oil temps with either of those products over the Syn 3.  Mine dropped 10-20 degrees.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:26:15 PM »

Are you running an oil cooler? You may want to try dumping the syn 3 for a full synthetic oil like amsoil or redline.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »

Sounds like you may have a lean AFR condition.  I would get the AFR checked on a dyno, although the autotune should help with this...also, an oil cooler will help, but doesn't do much when you are sitting still.  Last, I would get that Syn 3 out of there and go with Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetic.  Good luck.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

ultraredneck

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »

Yep, I do have the HD Premium Oil Coole installed as well. Do you really thing the Syn 3 runs hotter? Well, I am heading out to the garage now to see if I can do the Autotune thing....hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the replies!
Randy
2010 FLHTCUSE
2004 FLHRI

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.