Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: HELP from the experts - Dealer says I need a new 110 motor !!!  (Read 11337 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: HELP from the experts - Dealer says I need a new 110 motor !!!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »

copout,

Here I think is the problem if you throw this dealer under the bus, you may get little to no help in the future if you have a problem so the question is do you have another dealer to go to if you burn this bridge or are you kind of stuck in having to deal with this dealer due to how close they are etc to you.

Have you told the service manager that this was not a good enough answer or time frame?  If so, what was his reply?

I am amazed that the dealer has only 1 guy that can put in a cam / swap a motor that they trust, that would kind of scare me a little.

I have very little patience so, I know I would already be having a talk with the owner of the dealership or the GM at least to start with and if its not a priority for him then maybe it would be for the owner and if not the owner I would consider asking Harley to pick another dealer and have you take the motor over there to be put in if that is possible so they get no money on this deal what so ever.   

I would save calling the moco as a last resort as they have no real power over the dealer to do a warranty item right now.   What could be suggested if there are other dealers near you is to have the motor taken elsewhere and have someone else do the work if they are not willing to take care of this.  You would have to have another dealer lined up though by the Moco.     
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »

Yep, that is the bad part of this whole thing. I really have no control. I will not call the MOCO or start making threats. That will only aggravate the situation. I am just hoping the bike is done tomorrow so I can get it out of there. I will never take my bike to another dealer where they don't know me and I don't spend my $$. I have learned from this mistake, MY BAD.

I know how you feel CO. Hang in there. I hope it's all good from here. Good luck! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2007, 11:10:20 AM »

copout,

Here I think is the problem if you throw this dealer under the bus, you may get little to no help in the future if you have a problem so the question is do you have another dealer to go to if you burn this bridge or are you kind of stuck in having to deal with this dealer due to how close they are etc to you.

Have you told the service manager that this was not a good enough answer or time frame?  If so, what was his reply?

I am amazed that the dealer has only 1 guy that can put in a cam / swap a motor that they trust, that would kind of scare me a little.

I have very little patience so, I know I would already be having a talk with the owner of the dealership or the GM at least to start with and if its not a priority for him then maybe it would be for the owner and if not the owner I would consider asking Harley to pick another dealer and have you take the motor over there to be put in if that is possible so they get no money on this deal what so ever.   

I would save calling the moco as a last resort as they have no real power over the dealer to do a warranty item right now.   What could be suggested if there are other dealers near you is to have the motor taken elsewhere and have someone else do the work if they are not willing to take care of this.  You would have to have another dealer lined up though by the Moco.     

This is not my regular dealer and that is why I am kicking myself now. My reg dealer could not get me in for three weeks to do the cam (I was impatient) and Zippers recommended this dealer which is over an hour away from my home. So after dropping my bike off I have been regretting the decision to take it there, even though they found the pinion problem I know it would have been discovered by my local dealer.

I tried to contact the GM of the dealership and they shot me down telling me that there is no GM. There are just managers of each department and I would have to deal with that person. The service manager (Randy) has been really nice to me but that can only help for a short time. I just want my bike back in the condition expected and promised.

If I could get them to give me the bike, motor, parts I would just bring the bike back to my local dealer to finish but that would just be a nightmare to get done when it comes to payment for the warranty work.

I am also kicking myself for buying this bike in the first place (plus my wife is kicking me). This problem is not isolated to a few 110 motors. From what I have been reading it is a common problem that the MOCO will not acknowledge as such. I have NEVER purchased a vehicle the first model year it was offered and broke my own rule with this bike. I was warned by three friends about buying this bike due to it being the first series of the new 110 on the market and I didn't listen. I am now hearing "we told you so." I wanted to prove them wrong but I have failed !! The only reason I made the purchase was because I fell in love with the traditional orange and black colors PLUS there will most likely NOT be a CVO Ultra offered in 2008. I would have bought a 2006 but wanted the 6 speed. The motor is a dog and I knew it would be so that was not my incentive to make the purchase. Overall, and I am sorry if I offend anyone on this forum but this bike was overpriced and overrated. If I had to do it all over again I would do a stock bagger, ship it to Zippers and have them build the motor correctly.

Sorry about this rant but I am really disappointed and needed to vent !!!

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »

WOW..Just talked to my buddy who runs a local dealer and he said his HD rep knows about the problems with the 110 motor and the pinion runout issues. The MOCO is attributing the problem to lugging the motor which can cause the problem. It doesn't surprise me that this whole batch of bad 110 motor problems will be blamed on rider / owner negligence. Interesting, I don't remember lugging my motor more than two times for a split second but apparently that is enough to cause this !!!  :confused5: :confused5:

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2007, 02:37:30 PM »

WOW..Just talked to my buddy who runs a local dealer and he said his HD rep knows about the problems with the 110 motor and the pinion runout issues. The MOCO is attributing the problem to lugging the motor which can cause the problem. It doesn't surprise me that this whole batch of bad 110 motor problems will be blamed on rider / owner negligence. Interesting, I don't remember lugging my motor more than two times for a split second but apparently that is enough to cause this !!!  :confused5: :confused5:

Please, explain me with other words. I understand not "The MOCO is attributing the problem to lugging the motor which can cause the problem"
Probably my poor english.
Thanks
Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2007, 02:38:41 PM »

Please, explain me with other words. I understand not "The MOCO is attributing the problem to lugging the motor which can cause the problem"
Probably my poor english.
Thanks
Jacques
lugging engine = driving too slow in too high a gear

Running when you tach is under 2000 rpms

:cherry:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »

lugging engine = driving too slow in too high a gear

Running when you tach is under 2000 rpms

:cherry:
oops   :oops:  I did not read the thread title.  I am not qualified to be answering this question.   :cherry:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2007, 02:42:28 PM »

oops   :oops:  I did not read the thread title.  I am not qualified to be answering this question.   :cherry:
Your answer sounded good to me. :2vrolijk_21: ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »

Thanks for your reply !
Me too, it sounds good now ! :2vrolijk_21:

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »

Sounds like CRAP to me.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2007, 03:13:10 PM »

Sounds like CRAP to me.

That's Harley.

When the options are a) blame the machine and/or the company or b) blame the people that support the company and wear its name on their skin the answer generally tends to be B.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2007, 03:16:11 PM »

That's Harley.

When the options are a) blame the machine and/or the company or b) blame the people that support the company and wear its name on their skin the answer generally tends to be B.

At least the motors are getting replaced under warranty and owners are not being told to go pound sand.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »

At least the motors are getting replaced under warranty and owners are not being told to go pound sand.

But wait until a slightly ridden machine that only has 3 or 4k miles eats itself 6 weeks out of factory warranty craps out.  Known problems and herds of dead motors won't make a whit's difference to the MoCo then.  Sand shall be pounded most righteously by those poor folks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:25:11 PM by Twolanerider »

Rhino

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »

Hey Copout,

Its been what, 5 days since the motor arrived?  Well, good shops do take their time sometimes, and this one may be one of them. To see you got a new motor, and a loaner, and a hand built engine, and a shop to install to cams on the AT bike, well, your comment earlier, you have no patience seems very true.  

Forgive me if I missed something relevant or important, but if I missed, pretend your in the deep south and relax.

Rhino(exercizingmytypingfingerswhileitsraining,notridingunlikehoistwhoneverridesjusttypes) ;)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »

But wait until a slightly ridden machine that only has 3 or 4k miles eats itself 6 weeks out of factory warranty.  Known problems and herds of dead motors won't make a whit's difference to the MoCo then.  Sand shall be pounded most righteously by those poor folks.

I'm so close to pulling the cam cover to check it ain't funny, but that may jeapordize the Mem Day Ride to the Wall. I don't even want to put it into the shop for the weeping head gasket for fear they'll find something else to eat up time. But, the alternative is not attractive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.