Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: HELP from the experts - Dealer says I need a new 110 motor !!!  (Read 11336 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
Re: HELP from the experts - Dealer says I need a new 110 motor !!!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 05:09:24 PM »

Rhino,

I appreciate your opinion on this subject but please try to understand I would not be this unhappy if the dealer had not given me a completion date/time that they could not adhere to. They verbally told me the bike would be their #1 priority on Monday 5/7/07 and should be done by the middle of the week. So when I called on 5/9/07 (middle of the week) for a status update I was furious to find out they had not even touched the bike.  Honestly, I don't care how long it takes just as long as it is done right. They ARE giving me a bagger (at their cost) for this weekend so I really have no reason to complain at this point. One thing I will say on behalf of the dealer. They have been nothing but honest and receptive to my concerns about this. They could have easily lied to me when I called on Wednesday and told me that my bike was still being worked on and would not be done until Monday or Tuesday. However, they were honest and told me that the bike had not been touched yet. The service manager is a stand up guy who has excellent customer service skills and has returned every phone call I have placed.

On a side note, if this was NOT covered under warranty and the motor had to be repaired at my cost (non warranty) it was estimated at approx $4,000 - $5,000 dollars. WOW, I wonder what a new motor would cost ?? :nixweiss:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 05:45:30 PM »

Copout,
If they had given you a start date of monday I would tearing them new ones for not touching the bike until now.   You didnt pick the date its a date they gave you and they should be living up to their commitments

New 120 is about 7000 plus labor to put it in.   I would imagine a 110 to be not that far off from that price.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2007, 06:07:37 PM »

Rhino,

I appreciate your opinion on this subject but please try to understand I would not be this unhappy if the dealer had not given me a completion date/time that they could not adhere to. They verbally told me the bike would be their #1 priority on Monday 5/7/07 and should be done by the middle of the week. So when I called on 5/9/07 (middle of the week) for a status update I was furious to find out they had not even touched the bike.  Honestly, I don't care how long it takes just as long as it is done right. They ARE giving me a bagger (at their cost) for this weekend so I really have no reason to complain at this point. One thing I will say on behalf of the dealer. They have been nothing but honest and receptive to my concerns about this. They could have easily lied to me when I called on Wednesday and told me that my bike was still being worked on and would not be done until Monday or Tuesday. However, they were honest and told me that the bike had not been touched yet. The service manager is a stand up guy who has excellent customer service skills and has returned every phone call I have placed.

On a side note, if this was NOT covered under warranty and the motor had to be repaired at my cost (non warranty) it was estimated at approx $4,000 - $5,000 dollars. WOW, I wonder what a new motor would cost ?? :nixweiss:

You know how politicians get in more trouble trying to cover stuff up then they ever would be in if they were just upfront when they get caught getting their hands dirty...  :oops:

well, it seems like this is a another case of a simple upfront phone call on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning from the Service Manager explaining the schedule change - rather then waiting for the customer to call on Wednesday to be surprised with the bad news of "we haven't even started yet"... :nixweiss: 

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 10:22:13 PM »

You know how politicians get in more trouble trying to cover stuff up then they ever would be in if they were just upfront when they get caught getting their hands dirty...  :oops:

well, it seems like this is a another case of a simple upfront phone call on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning from the Service Manager explaining the schedule change - rather then waiting for the customer to call on Wednesday to be surprised with the bad news of "we haven't even started yet"... :nixweiss: 

Scott

Well I am just hoping that when I call Randy (service manager) tomorrow at 1:00 he will have good news for me about my bike. Otherwise I will be heading up there to pick up my service loaner for the weekend. I really don't care how much longer it takes for them to finish the bike just as long as it is done right and I have something to ride. I don't want to be standing at the dealer late on a Friday waiting for them to finish putting my exhaust on or something else. That is just an accident waiting to happen and things are always forgotten about or overlooked.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2007, 08:11:30 AM »

Well I am just hoping that when I call Randy (service manager) tomorrow at 1:00 he will have good news for me about my bike. Otherwise I will be heading up there to pick up my service loaner for the weekend. I really don't care how much longer it takes for them to finish the bike just as long as it is done right and I have something to ride. I don't want to be standing at the dealer late on a Friday waiting for them to finish putting my exhaust on or something else. That is just an accident waiting to happen and things are always forgotten about or overlooked.

I am from N. Illinois also....who has your bike? which dealer?

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2007, 11:14:37 AM »

Asked the dealer aabout checking runout, 4 hours labor plus parts :nixweiss:

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »

I am from N. Illinois also....who has your bike? which dealer?

Scott

Scott,

It is currently at Uke's in Kenosha, WI. I have never used them before for service but have always heard great things about them. I normally have my bike serviced at McHenry H.D in McHenry, IL but they could not get my bike in until the end of May and that is why I took it to Uke's. I will most likely never do that again  :lolk:

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2007, 12:40:37 PM »

Asked the dealer aabout checking runout, 4 hours labor plus parts :nixweiss:

What a bunch of crap !!

That's like one of my local dealers quoting me 5 more hours to pull the rockers covers to check for proper clearance when installing my cam.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2007, 01:43:32 PM »

Scott,

It is currently at Uke's in Kenosha, WI. I have never used them before for service but have always heard great things about them. I normally have my bike serviced at McHenry H.D in McHenry, IL but they could not get my bike in until the end of May and that is why I took it to Uke's. I will most likely never do that again  :lolk:

I live in Roscoe, Il, but I worked in Kenosha for a couple of years a few - a couple of years ago, so I am familiar with Uke's.  They have a decent reputation in their service department, and the owner is pretty hands on.  When the dust settles, I would probably have a conversation with him about how they handled the communication side of your business with them.  I suspect you will be pleased with the work they perform when they get done - to bad the scheduling got complicated and the communication was lacking....

I generally buy my bikes at Kutter's in Janesville - they are a MSRP dealer and constantly have sales on parts and accessories - and they have been great to deal with on any warranty issues over the years - never any drama.  I do my own maintenance and mechanical work, so I can't personally speak to their service department.  When I want some dyno time, I go to Hal's in New Berlin, Wi. (south of Milwaukee).  Hal's has an outstanding dyno technician.

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2007, 12:22:52 AM »

I live in Roscoe, Il, but I worked in Kenosha for a couple of years a few - a couple of years ago, so I am familiar with Uke's.  They have a decent reputation in their service department, and the owner is pretty hands on.  When the dust settles, I would probably have a conversation with him about how they handled the communication side of your business with them.  I suspect you will be pleased with the work they perform when they get done - to bad the scheduling got complicated and the communication was lacking....

I generally buy my bikes at Kutter's in Janesville - they are a MSRP dealer and constantly have sales on parts and accessories - and they have been great to deal with on any warranty issues over the years - never any drama.  I do my own maintenance and mechanical work, so I can't personally speak to their service department.  When I want some dyno time, I go to Hal's in New Berlin, Wi. (south of Milwaukee).  Hal's has an outstanding dyno technician.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the information about Hal's. I want to get my bike power dynoed after I break this new motor and cams in. I am curious about how much HP and torque it is really putting out and it sounds like Hal's would be the right place to get it done.

I picked up my bike tonight and so far it is running like a champ. As usual, it was not as clean as I would have liked but that is a trivial issue that really doesn't bother me. I am going to reload the Zippers map that they provided for my setup and re-initalize the IAC with new fuel points. I am hoping to put around 300 miles on tomorrow so I can break the motor in right. I cannot wait to jump on it !! I really want to see how much better it runs with these cams.

I will say this. Riding this bike after having a stock FLHX last week is like a dream. I will never take it for granted again !!!

As for the new motor, the "110" plate is changed. It is now black with the writing in silver as opposed to the brushed aluminum look with black writing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:34:25 AM by copout221 »

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2007, 04:39:47 AM »

Sorry to hear about your plight, a few years ago I had the same problem with my dealership, nice guys but techically crap, I upgraded to the old stage 3 with high compression pistons etc consequently lots of problems with my bike because they never advised me to upgrade the starter motor or add decompressors....not strictly true, they didn't know they were required, consequently my bike was off the road often and for quite some time.

I live 60miles from this dealership which was in the middle of nowhere, they wouldn't provide a loaner but took me to the railway station and dropped me off.  It took 4hours to get home....I was furious. 

I'm now with a dealer I am comfortable with, still not technically sound but they certainly look after their customers.  I have been waiting since September for SERK delivery and am told it arrives at the end of this month.  He caught me looking around the dealership with a long face and tossed a set of keys at me and said cheer yourself up..........I did with a smile as big as the English channel I gave him his keys back.  He added if I wanted more to pick up a bike after Saturday closing and to have it back first thing Monday.
Any of you guys over in the Canterbury area of England look them (and me) up, they'll make you feel most welcome.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »

Once again, sorry to hear of your troubles, Brother.

SOKOOL

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2007, 01:32:20 PM »

Scott,

Thanks for the information about Hal's. I want to get my bike power dynoed after I break this new motor and cams in. I am curious about how much HP and torque it is really putting out and it sounds like Hal's would be the right place to get it done.

I picked up my bike tonight and so far it is running like a champ. As usual, it was not as clean as I would have liked but that is a trivial issue that really doesn't bother me. I am going to reload the Zippers map that they provided for my setup and re-initalize the IAC with new fuel points. I am hoping to put around 300 miles on tomorrow so I can break the motor in right. I cannot wait to jump on it !! I really want to see how much better it runs with these cams.

I will say this. Riding this bike after having a stock FLHX last week is like a dream. I will never take it for granted again !!!

As for the new motor, the "110" plate is changed. It is now black with the writing in silver as opposed to the brushed aluminum look with black writing.
CO,
Glad to hear you got your bike back and have stated the breakin period again.  Good luck with this new engine...I actually think kudos go to the dealership for telling you that you needed a new engine.  It may not have been as fast as you wanted (it never is), but in my book, they did right by you. ;)

I ordered the "110" plates from Chicago Harley, and they told me that the old part number (minus the "A" at the end), is a discontinued part number.  So apparently, the black and silver plates have totally replaced the silver and black ones.  Can't wait to get the new plates in as they look much more "normal" on the black and silver engine.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Rhino

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »

CO,

Ditto on RD's comments.  BTW,  I got my new black tags last week, I like.   Now that we know so much, or, not so much about these motors, it must feel special to have a brand new one under your butt that you can play with all over again.  Be true to the break in, and have a lot of fun. I lived in Gbay for a few years. Loved that 2 month riding season...harrharr.

Rhino(niceandtoastyinflorida)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 21 queries.