Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WIRING OLD PHONE JACKS?  (Read 5450 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WIRING OLD PHONE JACKS?
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »

My house had this old phone jack on the baseboard in our playroom.  My brother disconnected it to pull up the baseboard.  He reconnected it just like it was when he took it loose.  Neither one of us thought much about it.  Four or five hours later, he picked up the phone to use it and the display said "phone in use."  We checked every phone and there was not a phone off the hook.  I came upstairs to use the internet and no DSL.  I figured out it must be that phone jack.  He took it apart and changed the wiring and now the internet works but still no dial tone.  I googled "1542A wiring diagram" and found the following article.  http://www.funhouse.com/jfw/rfitel_att.txt

Read the whole dadgum thing and tried wiring it like the schematic and get nothing!  I always wondered why every phone jack in the house had been replaced but that one.  It's cursed!  Also did not find it amusing that the article is a Bell Lab guide to reducing radio interference when I've called BellSouth at least a dozen times because I can hear the nearby radio station better on my phone than I can the radio!!!!!

HELP!!!!

~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

SPIDERMAN

Re: ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WIRING OLD PHONE JACKS?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:51:50 PM »

Not what you want to hear I know, but my advice is to disconnect the jack, yank out the wire to where it disappears into the wall and forget about it. I've tried what your trying more times than I can count and always ended doing what I'm saying above in frustration and anger and had to fix some paint and / or woodwork after. Plan to do it and you won't at least find yourself in that position.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:52:06 PM »

V, what colors are the wires? Is it 2 or 4? Is it a pin connection or RJ-45 (plug in) type?

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:54:22 PM »

Can you post a picture?

Tros

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »

You need a DSL filter on that jack too for the DSL to work properly.  Did you try disconnecting the phone from it?  Cordless phone base units tend to screw up DSL too.  

cigarmike

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »

It depends on which hick phone guy installed the thing, generally only 2 wires are needed, the green and red, but that doesnt mean they didnt use the yellow and black instead. try any combination of only 2 untill you get a dial tone.  But , without being there, I cant be 100% sure wth is the solution. Changing your header on this thread to read "RACY PICS INSIDE" MUST SEE" will result in  many more readers seeing this thread first, and therefore, a faster solution?, Actually posting racy pics will result in you getting voted 'Most Popular CVO member"

Red/Green,
red/black
red/yellow
Green/yellow
green/black
Yellow/Black

If that doesnt do it, then I cant help you. You will need Spiderman......GL
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:20:43 PM by Mike L »

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »

depends on which hick phone guy installed the thing, generally only 2 wires are needed, the green and red, but that doesnt mean they didnt use the yellow and black instead. try any combination of only 2 untill you get a dial tone.

Red/Green,
red/black
red/yellow
Green/yellow
green/black
Yellow/Black

If that doesnt do it, then I cant help you. You will need Spiderman......GL

Hey! Are we getting a little personal here?  ;D

cigarmike

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:21:21 PM »

Hey! Are we getting a little personal here?  ;D

My apoligies, I meant to say 'Hillbilly"

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 11:23:46 PM »

Can you post a picture?

Dang, this is getting weirder by the minute.  I just went downstairs to take a photo and my brother is about to pull his hair out.  the phone still doesn't work but as long as the yellow and black wires are touching anything the internet works.  If you disconnect them, nothing works.

Anyway, I'll post a pic as soon as I receive it from my phone message I just sent myself.  There are four wires - yellow and black naked wires and red and green with pin connectors or something on the end.  The yellow was originally connected to the G and the black connected to the R.  The phone cord with 4 wires had the red and green connected to the R and the black and grey connected to the G.  The jack did work in the past because there was a phone connected to it at one time.

My DSL has always worked.  My phone worked but with radio interference.  We only disconnected the jack because it was screwed into the base board which we are replacing.  My brother is normally really good at this type of stuff and reconnected it exactly like he found it.  He's so pissed about it that he just went to bed without eating because he's so frustrated.

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 11:25:40 PM »

Sorry the picture is so blurry.  Best I can do with a camera phone.  By the way, the Bell/AT&T document that is a troubleshooting guide for radio interference is from 1974 so that means that the jack is at least that old!  It's a 1542A I think.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:49 PM »

Ok, here's your racy pics!  Will that help?  These are the Rome Hooters Girl on Career Day or Halloween.  Not sure which, I'll have to ask Frenchy to clarify, but they obviously don't mind showing their butt so I took the liberty to share it here.

Anything to help solve the problem.  I feel terrible.  I've stressed out my brother and my father in the past several days.  I've stressed DCFiremann out for at least the last month!  I've called and woke him up a half-dozen times trying to figure this out.  I'm glad he's in Maryland and I'm in Georgia at the moment!  He might strangle me otherwise!  So I'm trying not to drive anyone else to drinking....LOL!

Hillbilly, hick, redneck, idiot!  At this point, you can call them what you want!  I'll call you a genius if you can tell me how to fix it.  To try the different combination of pairs, is it ok if I strip the ends off?

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 11:36:36 PM »

Ok V, looking at the picture you can see there are jumpers on the two posts. This is obviously an older jack. The solder may have broken over the years or there is a break in the wire. It is probably solid copper. Try cutting the yellow and black wires 1/4" back and stripping. Then reattach them to the two posts (screws) closest to the jack. The red & green are not used. Looking at the yellow it appears to have a 'kink' in it. Try cutting that piece out and reattach. We'll wait.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »

Try this

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 11:55:21 PM »

No go!  But the internet still works!  OK, I am giving up.  I have not sit down since breakfast and still haven't had dinner.  Maybe it will all make sense in the morning.  If not, I'll pay BellSouth $85 an hour to fix it!  Or better yet, just go ahead and disconnect the house phone and internet and let the new owners deal with it!!!   :'(

Thanks hard10 and Mike L for the help.  I am sure that in the morning, I'll walk down there and it will work on the first try just because it's Murphy's law and we've spent several hours on it tonight and it hasn't worked!

Thanks,
V

P.S.  I was worried about those long-term effects on my brother too.  He might have came unglued! 

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 12:04:05 AM »

What you didn't tell us was what the other wires are for? What do they connect to? And if you're selling the house, don't worry about it!

AJ

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 09:06:55 AM »

If there are similar phone jacks in the house, pull off one of those and see what configuration of wires was used, should be the same for the other one.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 09:35:25 AM »

ive gone through this myself, in an older house. one day phones stoped working. had 2 lines in the house if you picked up one the other would go dead. if your selling the house let the new owners deal with it. we ended up pulling most of the wires and doing home runs back to a new distobution block. the hose had to many junction boxes with wires coming and going to places we couldnt identify.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

The easiest thing to do is go to Radio Shack/Home Depot and buy a phone line tester for five bucks, plug it in and touch the wires to the  terminals in various combinations until the indicator turns green.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »

ive gone through this myself, in an older house. one day phones stoped working. had 2 lines in the house if you picked up one the other would go dead. if your selling the house let the new owners deal with it. we ended up pulling most of the wires and doing home runs back to a new distobution block. the hose had to many junction boxes with wires coming and going to places we couldnt identify.
[/color]

Ahhhhhhhh  Obi One as always the voice of reason.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 09:34:47 PM »

Ok, here's your racy pics!  Will that help?  These are the Rome Hooters Girl on Career Day or Halloween.  Not sure which, I'll have to ask Frenchy to clarify, but they obviously don't mind showing their butt so I took the liberty to share it here.

Anything to help solve the problem.  I feel terrible.  I've stressed out my brother and my father in the past several days.  I've stressed DCFiremann out for at least the last month!  I've called and woke him up a half-dozen times trying to figure this out.  I'm glad he's in Maryland and I'm in Georgia at the moment!  He might strangle me otherwise!  So I'm trying not to drive anyone else to drinking....LOL!

Hillbilly, hick, redneck, idiot!  At this point, you can call them what you want!  I'll call you a genius if you can tell me how to fix it.  To try the different combination of pairs, is it ok if I strip the ends off?

YES YES YES YES.  :huepfenlol2:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

BigR55

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »

Hey Gettinold! You may need your new big old fat buddy from Indiana after all!
Since you posted the hot pics, I'll help you with your situation. Everyone has given good advice but here is some with a step by step solution.

1. Have your brother in law calm down, this is not the end of the world!

2. Oustside you house is a telephone company interface box. One side opens for customer access. In older homes, the installers ran one four conductor wire from the outside and just looped through every location where inside jacks were needed. Take a regular wired phone with you outside, open the customer access side. Inside you will see the house wires under red and green screws. a short flat wire with a RJ-45 plug connects the customer wires to the phone company side.
Unplug the short modular plug and plug your regular phone in and see if you get a dial tone. You mentioned that you are using DSL so you should have the newer box as I am describing. You should have a DSL filter on each inside line that is only used for phone.

3. To answer your other questons, old phones used two wires the same as the newer ones, usually red and green for the phone. The yellow and black was commonly used to connect to a low voltage transformer block to power the lighted phone dials. If not used for this, they could be used as an alternate pair for phone signal or for a second phone line. Since the red and green seem to be terminated, the yellow and black are your signal wires. The pic you posted looks like it has six screw terminals which will Carry up to three phone lines but you most likely use only one of these pairs. The reason I describe the other combinations is that just wiring the jack wrong and not having a phone plugged in should not disrupt service to the other jacks in the house. The exception to this is if you would have one of the old transformers feeding 6 volts AC to your wires.

So, first verify that the line is good at the outside box, then identify which pair is feeding to the inside. Then try each pair of screws (using the black and yellow) on the jack in question until it works. There is a correct polarity but the phone should work either way on newer phones. You can get a handy Radio Shack tester for under five bucks that shows if the line is working and in proper polarity and check all of your lines. I would suggest putting on a new jack but it looks like the old one is recessed in the base board.
BirR55 (Hick Phone Hooker Upper!) :bananarock:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 06:20:47 PM »

V,
     The one on the far right has a killer a$$. Got any more pics. I don't know jack chit about electrical stuff, but if you get me a date with her I'll enroll in Tech School, ride to Georgia and fix your phone jack

B B

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 03:29:02 AM »

V,
     The one on the far right has a killer a$$. Got any more pics. I don't know jack chit about electrical stuff, but if you get me a date with her I'll enroll in Tech School, ride to Georgia and fix your phone jack
B B

BB, BE SURE TO RIDE OVER TO "HOOTERS" AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF.  :huepfenlol2: AFTER YOU FIX V'S JACK.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »

The Red and green pair are normally Tip and Ring ,Line 1. Yellow and black are tip and Ring , Line 2. Normal single line telephone utilizes Red  & Green (line 1). The DSL will normally share Red & Green also, unless you have a homegrown system or an alarm .

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 07:22:56 AM »

V,
     The one on the far right has a killer a$$. Got any more pics. I don't know jack chit about electrical stuff, but if you get me a date with her I'll enroll in Tech School, ride to Georgia and fix your phone jack B B

Man I just read this thread and it is some funny S^%T!!!!!  Thanks for the help guys. Bell south came out and they can't fix it either. She has a phone now but with a lot of buzzing in the line. It really doesn't matter as she is now in Maryland. BUT SHE STILL NEEDS TO SELL THE HOUSE!!!!

Hey B/B since you are going to come to Georgia and enroll in tech school, you will need a place to stay! HINT HINT! ;D

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »

DAWG
DO YOU HAVE A HOOTERS UP THERE. :nixweiss:  HAVE V POST SOME MORE PICS IF SO.  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.