Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Need something to do....  (Read 5279 times)

Tros

Re: Need something to do....
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 12:09:29 AM »

That's not building a bike ordering parts from a catalog. That is assembling a bike.

This is building a bike! :2vrolijk_21:

IYO. 

Main Entry: cus·tom–built 
Pronunciation: \ˈkəs-təm-ˈbilt\
Function: adjective
Date: 1925
: built to individual specifications 

So, if our friend Smiler constructs, by himself or with assistance of others, a machine of his specifications, regardless of parts sourcing, it is by definition, custom-built.

If he doesn't have the skill or resources then he must contract out the things he needs to. Not everyone has a frame table and a machine shop in their garage.   

If our friend Smiler chooses to assemble a "bike in a box" that would meet your definition more closely if it's assembled exactly as delivered, however, if he alters it to suit his own specifications then the finished bike would be considered, by definition, custom-built.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »

Define it any way you like. A box of parts in my opinion is not a custom. It is a kt bike. There isn't anything wrong with that as I think it is a great introduction to bike building. Just because one changes this or that does not make it a custom. This is a CVO site, if you would like to get into the custom debate stop by chopperweb.net. There are multiple threads on this very topic.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Tros

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 01:38:37 PM »

Define it any way you like. A box of parts in my opinion is not a custom. It is a kt bike. There isn't anything wrong with that as I think it is a great introduction to bike building. Just because one changes this or that does not make it a custom. This is a CVO site, if you would like to get into the custom debate stop by chopperweb.net. There are multiple threads on this very topic.

In case you hadn't noticed this in the OFF TOPIC area. 

I use the standard definitions http://www.M-W.com/dictionary/custom-built and here's another http://www.thefreedictionary.com/custom-built

Lets review:  I offer our friend Smiler an alternative solution; you start a debate with me so I join the debate then you tell me to leave.  :nixweiss: 

Reread my post, BTW IYO means "In your opinion" which referred to your previous post.

IYO. 

Main Entry: cus·tom–built 
Pronunciation: \ˈkəs-təm-ˈbilt\
Function: adjective
Date: 1925
: built to individual specifications 

So, if our friend Smiler constructs, by himself or with assistance of others, a machine of his specifications, regardless of parts sourcing, it is by definition, custom-built.

If he doesn't have the skill or resources then he must contract out the things he needs to. Not everyone has a frame table and a machine shop in their garage.   

If our friend Smiler chooses to assemble a "bike in a box" that would meet your definition more closely if it's assembled exactly as delivered, however, if he alters it to suit his own specifications then the finished bike would be considered, by definition, custom-built.

My statements are based on the standard English language definition of "custom-built".  The last sentence addresses the kit bikes and is accurate by definition.

The directions are on the outside of the box.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 03:28:24 PM »

Lets review:  I offer our friend Smiler an alternative solution; you start a debate with me so I join the debate then you tell me to leave.   
Wrong. I'm not telling you to leave. I'm inviting to a forum where a majority of the bikes are built not bought. This discussion is better suited for a forum like that. Chopperweb.net is not someplace I'm sending you to get rid of you, it is a place where I have well over 10,000 posts and spend the majority of my free time discussing such topics.

Again in my opinion a box of parts is not a custom. I can buy the same box of parts as you. Yah that's custom. :confused5:
2023 CVO Road Glide

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »

What the hell about my damn seat Chief? You asked for something to do and I gave it to you.  ;D ;) :huepfenlol2: Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »

What the hell about my damn seat Chief? You asked for something to do and I gave it to you.  ;D ;) :huepfenlol2: Later,Q

Are you after the grey insert similar to what I believe the SEDWG??? came with?

What about here?
http://www.ccseats.com/roadking.htm
2023 CVO Road Glide

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »

Sorry bro. I got sidetracked. I spoke to Danny Gray (888 443 2669). He said give him a call and he'll get you hooked up.

You'll love it.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 03:44:38 PM »

I figured you would have sent me to Alligator Bob.He has very competitive pricing.  :bananarock:
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 06:06:11 PM »

I figured you would have sent me to Alligator Bob.He has very competitive pricing.  :bananarock:

As compared to who ?  Tiffany's ?

B B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 06:10:45 PM »

Wrong. I'm not telling you to leave. I'm inviting to a forum where a majority of the bikes are built not bought. This discussion is better suited for a forum like that. Chopperweb.net is not someplace I'm sending you to get rid of you, it is a place where I have well over 10,000 posts and spend the majority of my free time discussing such topics.

Again in my opinion a box of parts is not a custom. I can buy the same box of parts as you. Yah that's custom. :confused5:

So if I buy a frame, and then weld some tabs on it for mounting a gas tank, oil tank and other sheet metal. Then I buy a fender and cut, grind and weld it to fit the frame. Buy a gas tank and fit that to the frame etc etc until I've got a motorcycle; if I buy all the parts and modify them, by definition, it's not a custom ?  Not arguing, just curious.

B B

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 06:36:43 PM »

Hey Chief - If you get time after looking for my friends seat, how about sourcing faring to change my RK into a Glide.
Cheers pal. :angel:
Have a couple on me.....

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »

Hey Chief - If you get time after looking for my friends seat, how about sourcing faring to change my RK into a Glide.
Have a couple on me.....

That's easy. Either Dragonfly or Hoppe Industries. The Hoppe attaches with chrome plated steel brkts very similar to those on a RK windshield and comes with a CD player and 4 speakers. The Dragonfly is very similar to a factory Electra-Glide fairing and is all fiberglass. It attches to the front end in a very similar fashion as the factory fairing. You have to install your own electronics and it is set up to hold two speakers. In short, a very close copy of the factory EG fairing.

B B

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 07:19:13 PM »

So if I buy a frame, and then weld some tabs on it for mounting a gas tank, oil tank and other sheet metal. Then I buy a fender and cut, grind and weld it to fit the frame. Buy a gas tank and fit that to the frame etc etc until I've got a motorcycle; if I buy all the parts and modify them, by definition, it's not a custom ?  Not arguing, just curious.

B B
I'd be more inclined to call that a custom as opposed to bolting a bunch of parts together from a box

Here is a post from CW. Jamie comes pretty close to breaking it down. All of this really doesn't matter as long as your riding but it sure gives us something to talk about. :orange:

Custom, chopper, customized, and modified. I think thats the 4 catagories I think of.

Modified- stock bike that has been changed up with bolt on parts.
Modified bikes can become custimized bikes.

Customized- A stock bike that the owner/builder has put a lot of thought into and made/ordered low run parts (not quite production) and the chances of seeing another one like it are almost ZERO. Still stock framed.

Chopper- You took that stock bike and did what most people (read not most guys on CW) would consider major surgery, like extending backbone.downtube, ass end (or any combintaion thereof) and maybe even raking it. Cutting/replaceing the fends, tank...

Custom- There isnt another out there like it. You built/had the frame built. Not nice but I think the frame is a big basis for a bike being called a custom. If it is built by someone to your specs, there wont be another out there exactly like it, even if they try to make another. Many of the parts are one off, or at least the first of em like that. Also, you most of the time know that it took way to effin long to build...
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 07:21:25 PM »

Have a couple on me.....
Do you want the radio capabilities? I ask as there was a guy on hdforums.com selling fairings without the radio pocket. Reasonably priced.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »

Thanks for the info fellas.  Anyone have the web address for Dragonfly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.