Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: I'm done with San Diego H-D  (Read 6984 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Re: I'm done with San Diego H-D
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »

Howie,
          Does taking the wrench to a steakhouse for lunch count ? No, how about buying pizza and soda for all 44 employees of the dealership ?  Or maybe a bottle of Grey Goose for the manager ?  DUDE, do not get me going on this subject. As to your comment about letting dealers work on your bike, if you've figured out a way to get the MoCo to pay you to do your own warranty work and you're not sharing it with your site bros then you're a selfish bastard :o :oops:

B B

Say Hallelujah brother BB!!! I'd never take my bike to my local dealer for warranty work if I had a choice about it. The entire time the scoot is in the shop I worry about how fuc#ed up it's gonna be and what new scatches will be on it when I get it back. That's why I do everything I can myself. Howie.... fess up yer secrets!!  ::)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 10:28:19 PM by SEULTRA »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 09:17:39 AM »

Well I think anyone who's followed my posts knows I can do damn near anything when it comes to working on a bike. And what I can't do, Beagle can and does. So having said that, I have this dumbass habit of letting the dealer do stuff like changing out lower fork legs when the bike in question is three weeks old. I figure I don't need issues with them questioning my work until I've got some mileage and time on the bike. S'anyway, this is what I get in return. So I guess I go about the same distance north to BIGG's H-D as I've been going south to San Diego H-D for warranty work and do the rest myself.

B B

I've had some good luck using Southcoast A.K.A. Clearwater HD.  Don't know if that is any closer. 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 09:29:50 AM »

So sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the local HD service department. I think you said you have a service contract with them, which is why you use that shop, and the lack of a close to your home independent that you trust.  I hate to always bash the HD shops, but I have not had great experience working with several in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and when sitting here there are a lot of complaints. 
Course, there are lots of great comments about some of the HD shops, and a whole lot of compliments about independents.  I just wish each and every one of us, could go to any service shop we wanted to go to and allow them to be able to work on our bikes, and after filling out the right paper work, get warranty work reimbursed by the MoCo.  The HD service dept for the most part just don't have the best talent working for them, and if they do, they don't work there for long.  The pay and benefits must just SUCK!   I mean, if I had the talent, I'd love to be able to work on HD motorcycles all day long and get to test drive all the different types of bikes. 

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 10:21:44 AM »

if a certified hd wrench decided to open up an indy shop, would he be able to do warranty work?  just a thought.  TN

No, I wish.  I had a little mishap when my bike was brand new and the HD shop messed up a few things on my bike.  I did a lot of research and there is an idependant shop only 14 miles from my house.  The owner - John Meade of ProStreetCycles, Richmond, VA - had been one of the Instructors at the Arizona Harley Davidson schools.  When I had the problem, the owner of the store I had problems with asked me to never come back to the shop for service work.  So........ I called HD direct and explained that I was having a problem and that I'd like to change to using a Harley certified mechanic in an independent shop and they said absolutely not.  They said there would have to be 400 or 500 miles between HD shops before they would even consider such and option.  In my case there are many, many HD shops all within a couple hundred miles of each other. 

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »

Hard to believe the attitude of some of these dealers.  They seem to think they have an endless supply of customers.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 11:35:56 AM »

Apparently varies from dealer to dealer.

BB - you told SD about it, so they know why they lost your biz.  Too bad, from reading here it's obvious you know lots of folks well at that shop.  Better luck on your other dealer location. At some point, change is healthy.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 10:39:18 PM »

I already told my wife I was going to use my GI Bill to pay for wrenching school when I grow up. Hit 19 yrs on May 5th, will do 4 more. Can't think of anything better to spend it on. Besides, what can a premed degree get you when you no longer have a passion for medicine.  :nixweiss:

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 08:31:05 PM »

I already told my wife I was going to use my GI Bill to pay for wrenching school when I grow up. Hit 19 yrs on May 5th, will do 4 more. Can't think of anything better to spend it on. Besides, what can a premed degree get you when you no longer have a passion for medicine.  :nixweiss:

Just be ready to work for $8 per hour. New wrenches don't get paid squat. Think about it... ever read all the bitchin about the quality of work done by wrenches at the dealership??? Ya get what ya pay for.
Then again, if money isn't the point,.... enjoy wrench school!

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »

Sad story but I'm sure very typical of most dealers that pay there wrenches 8.00hr. I heard a while back that one of our local dealers hired a guy to wrench on our bikes with no experience what so ever ????? Talk about on the job training and they call there wrenches professionals.

Getting back to: I'm done with San Diego HD. (If you practice that you will eventually have no source to fall back on) Some wise arss once said in a different thread?

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »

SEULTRA,

Hell no, I only plan on doing it to work on my own scoot, after dealing with the military this long, I'll be damned to work for ANYBODY in this life time. Thank the lord for my luck with the stock market.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 07:01:28 AM »

Well I think anyone who's followed my posts knows I can do damn near anything when it comes to working on a bike. And what I can't do, Beagle can and does. So having said that, I have this dumbass habit of letting the dealer do stuff like changing out lower fork legs when the bike in question is three weeks old. I figure I don't need issues with them questioning my work until I've got some mileage and time on the bike. S'anyway, this is what I get in return. So I guess I go about the same distance north to BIGG's H-D as I've been going south to San Diego H-D for warranty work and do the rest myself.

B B

I admire you guys who work on your bikes, My technical knowledge would see me break the workings parts of a mop.  There is nowhere in my side of the country who teaches motorcycle maintenance, so it's the dealer or nothing....unfortunately

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2007, 11:59:10 AM »

I admire you guys who work on your bikes, My technical knowledge would see me break the workings parts of a mop.  There is nowhere in my side of the country who teaches motorcycle maintenance, so it's the dealer or nothing....unfortunately

Smiler,
         Buy a shop manual, a parts manual (both specific to your model) and read through it. Even if you don't ever pick up a wrench, it helps to understand what you're paying other people to do. You might however realize that you can do some things and as you do those things you gain the courage and confidence to do other things and one thing leads to the next. I learned like a lot of Americans. I bought my first motorcycle at 13 and by the time I was 16 I had completely disassembled it and put it back together a couple times. I lived in Maine and we didn't ride much for 4 months a year. So while I realize now that it was the the ignorance and arrogance of youth that enabled me to tear down an fairly expensive piece of machinery with no clue what I was doing, I also realize that the experience was invaluable. Nowadays, as I purchase a new motorcycle I gradually wean it from the clutches of the dealer. I don't know why I spend $2K(USD) to buy an ESP, but that's another story line.

Anyway, you've got the manuals, you've read them, you've talked with your mates at the pub, and you've watched the mechanics at your local shop do some work so now you're thinking of starting in. The first thing is quality tools. People preach quality tools. I do too, but I didn't start with a $5,000 tool box full of top shelf tools. I started with basic sets purchased at the local NAPA and places like that. Off brand stuff that works well if you're not a professional. Piece of advice. Instead of buying box wrenches, buy a set that one end is a box and the other is a ratchet. Those are the best damn tool out there.

So buy a set of those in sizes from 5/16" through 3/4" and then a couple of regular box wrenches the size of your axle nuts. ( I should know what they are off the top of my head, but I don't) Anyway, a 3/8" drive ratchet set in the same sizes as the wrenches. A 3" extension, a 6" extension and a 12" extension and a universal. A set of allen and torx bit sockets. The torx bits will be 1/4" drive, so you'll need a 1/4" ratchet. Two sets of screwdrivers, 1 standard blade and 1 Phillips. You'll want some pliers, bites, needle nose and lineman's as well as a small and large pair of Vise Grip locking pliers. And lastly, a lift. Don't know about GB, but around here you can pick up a respectable lift for $70(USD) from NAPA or one of the other Auto parts suppliers. There's a lot more things you'll aquire as you go along, but I think I've got you started

B B

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »

Hey BB

Do harley do manuals for the 110 or are they standard Touring manuals - the other thing I wanted to ask is would you recommend the Fixmyhog DVD's that are often advertised.
many thanks for the detailed response, it is something I'll certainly look into even if I only ever do basic maintenance.

One last question - Do you use Syn3 in your bike?

Thanks again
Smiiler

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »

Hey BB

Do harley do manuals for the 110 or are they standard Touring manuals - the other thing I wanted to ask is would you recommend the Fixmyhog DVD's that are often advertised.
many thanks for the detailed response, it is something I'll certainly look into even if I only ever do basic maintenance.

One last question - Do you use Syn3 in your bike?

Thanks again
Smiiler

Si y No  LOL   Actually yes, but you end up with three manuals for the CVO Bikes, The standard service manual for your model, a supplemental service manual and a supplemental parts manual. The P/N's for your bike are listed in your owner's manual.

B B

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 04:12:59 PM »

Si y No  LOL   Actually yes, but you end up with three manuals for the CVO Bikes, The standard service manual for your model, a supplemental service manual and a supplemental parts manual. The P/N's for your bike are listed in your owner's manual.

B B
the reason I ask is thAT i HAVE 2 WEEKS BEFORE i GET MY serk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.