Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: I'm done with San Diego H-D  (Read 6987 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: I'm done with San Diego H-D
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »

the reason I ask is thAT i HAVE 2 WEEKS BEFORE i GET MY serk

Smiler, compiled from other posts, the standard 07 Touring Model Service Manual is 99483-07 Supplemental 07 SERK Service Manual 99600-07  Supplemental 07 SERK Parts Manual 99433-07. You need all three

B B
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:20:44 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 01:12:30 PM »

Smiler, compiled from other posts, the standard 07 Touring Model Service Manual is 99483-07 Supplemental 07 SERK Service Manual 99600-07  Supplemental 07 SERK Parts Manual 99433-07. You need all three

B B

Cheers Spidey - looking forward to doing this myself.  More money for the OCD

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 09:51:02 PM »

Replaced the front fender on LD. When I removed the front wheel to get at the fender bolt clips, I discovered that the axle nut caps had been put back on using clear silicone, the last time the dealer ( San Diego H-D) worked on it. I told em today, I'm done. They finally reached my breaking point. I've been their staunchest support, taken chit from Beags and my other bros over em, but I'm done. $80 an hour for a factory trained mechanic to put a factory designed part on a factory built motorcycle in this manner. I'm done with San Diego H-D working on my bikes. Next warranty service I need it goes somewhere, anywhere else.  :soapbox:

B B

I don’t wish to be a rabble-rouser, but when I look at the delicate little fasteners (#10?) used in the H-D axle caps for the front of a 2003 SERK, I would recommend a dab of RTV in that application.

This accessory is un-sprung and subject to more shock and vibration than most other accessories. The earlier axle caps had a ¼ x 20 set screw with an 1/8” allen socket head. These early fasteners would handle a lot of torque relative to the current fastener used. The fastener in your axle caps may be the ¼” fastener; the part number was superseded in ’04. It is my sense that the San Diego shop probably had a few Customers that lost an axle cap or two and the Technician or possibly the shop Forman has a policy to use the RTV as an edge against future loss of these caps.

I am aware of at least 1,001 inappropriate uses for RTV, but in my humble opinion this is not one of them. If this kid used the RTV on my axle caps, I would have given him a pat on the back; slipped him a $20 and recommended him to my friends as a Technician that pays attention to detail.

Maybe it’s just me, but as I get older I find that I have lost the enthusiasm for having various bits of chrome from my machine pass me up as I motor down the lane.

djkak

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 09:57:15 PM »

I don’t wish to be a rabble-rouser, but when I look at the delicate little fasteners (#10?) used in the H-D axle caps for the front of a 2003 SERK, I would recommend a dab of RTV in that application.

This accessory is un-sprung and subject to more shock and vibration than most other accessories. The earlier axle caps had a ¼ x 20 set screw with an 1/8” allen socket head. These early fasteners would handle a lot of torque relative to the current fastener used. The fastener in your axle caps may be the ¼” fastener; the part number was superseded in ’04. It is my sense that the San Diego shop probably had a few Customers that lost an axle cap or two and the Technician or possibly the shop Forman has a policy to use the RTV as an edge against future loss of these caps.

I am aware of at least 1,001 inappropriate uses for RTV, but in my humble opinion this is not one of them. If this kid used the RTV on my axle caps, I would have given him a pat on the back; slipped him a $20 and recommended him to my friends as a Technician that pays attention to detail.

Maybe it’s just me, but as I get older I find that I have lost the enthusiasm for having various bits of chrome from my machine pass me up as I motor down the lane.

djkak

OK,
      I had this same conversation with the store manager of San Diego H-D's downtown Little Italy location. Here's what I said to him

" Michael, you're talking about a part that was designed by Harley-Davidson to fit a Harley-Davidson motorcycle being installed by a factory trained mechanic. If it won't fit and stay on the vehicle as designed, you should not be selling it to the public. Furthermore you have an obligation to your supplier (Harley-Davidson Inc) to inform them of a defective product. I cannot buy into your argument that your mechanic did the right thing. And finally, you failed in your obligation to me as the customer to inform me of this product's defect. "

B B

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 01:10:45 AM »

OK,
      I had this same conversation with the store manager of San Diego H-D's downtown Little Italy location. Here's what I said to him

" Michael, you're talking about a part that was designed by Harley-Davidson to fit a Harley-Davidson motorcycle being installed by a factory trained mechanic. If it won't fit and stay on the vehicle as designed, you should not be selling it to the public. Furthermore you have an obligation to your supplier (Harley-Davidson Inc) to inform them of a defective product. I cannot buy into your argument that your mechanic did the right thing. And finally, you failed in your obligation to me as the customer to inform me of this product's defect. "

B B

Well said; you are absolutely right, the axle caps could be better designed and made; that said the components that make up these machines today are what they are.

I look at quality a little like horsepower; quality is the combined result of product and service; horsepower is the expression of torque and velocity. If you have a product that is a little light on quality, Customer Service (velocity) can sometimes make up the difference. I’m not going to mention any names here but R******t comes to mind; they deliver a great deal of necessary velocity, which they deserve credit for IMHO.

The Dealer should run interference for the Customer, doing what they can to ensure that expectations are met. A Dealer that would pitch a set of Detonator Wheels would have to deliver incredible velocity in order to balance that product.

I give the kid from San Diego credit for his workaround; he demonstrated a sense of velocity. At the end of the day our satisfaction is at least somewhat dependant on our ability to deal with an occasional workaround. I understand and respect that you and I don’t look at this the same way; you are a big guy and require a lot of torque to get the job done.

djkak

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 08:40:22 AM »

Axle caps on my bike fit fine without RTV.

Must be a QC issue.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 02:18:54 PM »

I give the kid from San Diego credit for his workaround; he demonstrated a sense of velocity. At the end of the day our satisfaction is at least somewhat dependant on our ability to deal with an occasional workaround. I understand and respect that you and I don’t look at this the same way; you are a big guy and require a lot of torque to get the job done.

djkak

You do huh. well let's look at this the way I did. I discovered this "workaround" while the bike was up on my Handy BOB1500 lift and it was still a chore and a sticky freakin mess to deal with. FYI the silicone sealant doesn't harden/dry very well in an anerobic environment. So imagine had I been sittin on the side of I-40 in Oklahoma with semi's wizzin by at 80mph wrestling with this mess in order to tighten a loose axle nut, or perhaps pull the front wheel to repair a flat. No I don't give the puke one iota of credit whatsoever.

B B

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 06:41:06 PM »

You do huh. well let's look at this the way I did. I discovered this "workaround" while the bike was up on my Handy BOB1500 lift and it was still a chore and a sticky freakin mess to deal with. FYI the silicone sealant doesn't harden/dry very well in an anerobic environment. So imagine had I been sittin on the side of I-40 in Oklahoma with semi's wizzin by at 80mph wrestling with this mess in order to tighten a loose axle nut, or perhaps pull the front wheel to repair a flat. No I don't give the puke one iota of credit whatsoever.

B B

You got me there Spiderman; I wouldn’t advocate for the use of more than a “dab” in that application, anaerobic or not. It’s a lot like supporting the use of alcohol; a glass of wine with dinner makes a lot of sense, whereas a bottle of Scotch for dessert is a bad idea.

It’s kind of strange that a Line Tech would abuse the RTV; that is usually the mark of a hobbyist with more enthusiasm than sense. A Line Tech, more than most knows what a pain in the ass the inappropriate use of RTV can be.

Good luck with your search for a replacement Tech/Shop.

djkak

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 06:52:26 PM »

anerobic(sic) should have been Anaerobic - - -thanks, I knew I effed up the spelling on that one
B B

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »

Hey Brian - We knew what you meant - no need to apologise.

Good luck on the search for a new dealer

I am so happy I am out of warranty and can use my local indie now

He did my 575 cams and oil pump and all is good but I am still finding things the dealer screwed up - like loose air filter fasteners that trashed my Zippers big filter and over tight exhaust mount clamps that broke the mount

Now all I need to decide is whether to swap out my belt at 17500 miles (slight split on the edge of the belt) or just run it 'til it breaks

I think I'll risk it until the 20,000 service - what do you think?

Cheers

Dave

PS rear wheel chrome is leaving big time (again)
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »

BB,
   I don't mean to pour salt in a wound,   but

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!LOL

When my rear plug (the wrong ones for the bike BTW)fell out in the middle of the desert that time (after a 5K service),  and they didn't clean the oil off the bottom of the bike (which is now on my garage floor),  and they never installed the spacer between the AC cover and the filter plate (that pulled the PEM nut out of the filter plate and I had to get a new one from Doherty)........ALL IN THE SAME SERVICE!!!
    And then when I went down to bitch about it, they looked at me like I was crazy. I too was done with San Diego Harley,  and I have been telling everyone I know since then to take their bike elsewhere because those clowns....well, for the lack of a better word than I can use here.... SUCK!

:soapbox:

_Beags

BTW:  Did I tell you I love you yet today!!!!!
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »

Hey Bro, here's some salt for your diet.

Do you honestly believe that changing from Hooker True Duals to Reinharts gained you 27HP; 30% over your original dyno map with the Freedom Cams  :o

Listen bro, I've got a buddy that's parceling up some land near the Everglades in south Florida. Hella of a deal on house lots. Just needs a little fill.  :P

S'okay bro, you ignore my foibles, I ignore yours.

B B

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 11:30:45 PM »

I know.....I know.
    Maybe Randy was just looking to extract some extra $$ from me.  Too late now...It's done (truth be told,  I don't believe it either,  and I do still like the Hookers better).  I knew I'd get some sh$t about this......CVO Joe fired the first shot...............I'm glad your gun is empty now....Anyone else????

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 11:09:57 AM »

I know.....I know.
    Maybe Randy was just looking to extract some extra $$ from me.  Too late now...It's done (truth be told,  I don't believe it either,  and I do still like the Hookers better).  I knew I'd get some sh$t about this......CVO Joe fired the first shot...............I'm glad your gun is empty now....Anyone else????

_Beags

Sorry Pal but there's no sympathy here either - if it was me I would have kept quiet.... :sleeping:

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 09:31:20 PM »

Smiler,
     When I want your opinion,   I'LL FREAKIN' ASK FOR IT!!!!  I'm a little freakin" cranky right now......and if you ever make it out to Dago,  I'd LOVE to MEET YOU!!!!!!

_Beags.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.