Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil leak through chaincase drain plug - FLSTC 2002 model  (Read 1865 times)

Buffalo Phil

• Capital of Belgium Chapter
Oil leak through chaincase drain plug - FLSTC 2002 model
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:58:31 PM »

Maybe this is off topic because it does not concern a CVO model, but my second bike is a Softail Heritage Classic 2002.

The Drain Plug of the Chaincase has been tightened too much (fully tightened) and since then, there is an oil leak.

Dealer told me that I need to change the whole inner primary cover, which is a very expensive stuff.

Can anyone advise me about that? Should I really change the cover?

Thanks for the help.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Oil leak through chaincase drain plug - FLSTC 2002 model
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:05:41 PM »

Maybe this is off topic because it does not concern a CVO model, but my second bike is a Softail Heritage Classic 2002.

The Drain Plug of the Chaincase has been tightened too much (fully tightened) and since then, there is an oil leak.

Dealer told me that I need to change the whole inner primary cover, which is a very expensive stuff.

Can anyone advise me about that? Should I really change the cover?

Thanks for the help.

Phil,

As long as the threads aren't stripped out, I would suggest trying some Teflon tape on the plug.  I've done it myself in the past.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rhino

Re: Oil leak through chaincase drain plug - FLSTC 2002 model
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »

Yes, teflon high temp, minimum 10 wraps tight   

Rhino

Phil,

As long as the threads aren't stripped out, I would suggest trying some Teflon tape on the plug.  I've done it myself in the past.

Jerry

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.