Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Air Cleaner Cover  (Read 6241 times)

REGGAB

Air Cleaner Cover
« on: July 29, 2007, 12:10:50 AM »

Has anyone noticed an audible vibration coming from the air cleaner cover and the air cleaner cover center trim piece?  I have.  The screws are tight.  At first I thought it was top end noise.........like the pinging had returned, but thanks to Shawn (Scooterhair), he found that the noise is coming from the air cleaner cover.  The first challenge is the cover doesn't fit very well over the K&N HD-0800 air filter, and the foam rubber gasket stuck on the filter is basically useless, since the vibration will eat through the gasket.  That isn't where the noise is coming from through.  It is coming from the center trim piece against the cover.  I could fix this quick, fast and in a hurry by buying and installing a different air cleaner cover, but I really like the looks of the one I have.  Has anyone experienced this challenge?  If so, did it bother you enough.........like it is bothering me..........that you found a fix?  If anyone has a fix, please share it.  Thanks.

Henry

REGGAB

Re: Air Cleaner Cover
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:01:44 AM »

Pulled my air cleaner cover off this morning to look into this challenge a little further.  Found a crack in the metal part of the air filter right behind the air cleaner cover mounting point.  In the picture below, I've circled the crack in red..........yeah, too much coffee this morning.   :)  Apparently this is the only solid contact point for the air cleaner cover, and the vibration caused the crack.  So.......I need a new HD-0800, which I'll order this morning, and it looks like I'm gonna hafta find a different air cleaner cover, one that mounts against the entire face of the air filter and not just the mounting point.  Maybe the Air Wing cover with the 103 insert.  Had that one on my softail.   It makes good contact with the entire face of the air filter. 

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 10:07:34 AM »

Henry
There were many of these falling off anad spinning up in Nelson I think in each case they were running the k n filter.  Seems to be a trend

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »

Henry
There were many of these falling off anad spinning up in Nelson I think in each case they were running the k n filter.  Seems to be a trend

Which is exactly what I was looking for.  I knew I couldn't be the only one experiencing this challenge.  Hate it that I gotta give up the stock air cleaner cover tho..........but that fitment is just broke.  I'm certain I'll find something to do with the stock air cleaner cover.  Thanks for the info.

Henry

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »

For specifics check with hogasm canuck or arcticdude

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »

For specifics check with hogasm canuck or arcticdude

Roger THAT.  Thanks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »

Doesn't HD have a part number for a gasket that goes around the OD of the air filter to make contact there.  Keeps the housing from rocking back and forth on the center.

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »

Doesn't HD have a part number for a gasket that goes around the OD of the air filter to make contact there.  Keeps the housing from rocking back and forth on the center.

Hmmmm.  Don't know if HD does, Don, but you can see the foam rubber thing that came with the K&N.  It doesn't work with the stock SEUC A/C cover too well.  Rocks back and forth.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »

Hmmmm.  Don't know if HD does, Don, but you can see the foam rubber thing that came with the K&N.  It doesn't work with the stock SEUC A/C cover too well.  Rocks back and forth.

Could be completely mistaken Henry but thought I remembered a hard rubber "gasket" on some applications.  Made for  complete mate of the filter to the cover and took the flex out.

A different application but on mine I had to do a bit when I started using the SERK style air cleaner cover.  It comes out of the box with a thick (.375" or so if I remember right) spot welded on the inside of the housing.  The cover was that far out from the filter.  So only contact was at the center and it would have rocked back and forth.

Simply took the Dremel to the spot welds and lost the spacer. Then contact at the center and the outside diameter.  No more wiggle nor rock and roll.

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »

Could be completely mistaken Henry but thought I remembered a hard rubber "gasket" on some applications.  Made for  complete mate of the filter to the cover and took the flex out.

A different application but on mine I had to do a bit when I started using the SERK style air cleaner cover.  It comes out of the box with a thick (.375" or so if I remember right) spot welded on the inside of the housing.  The cover was that far out from the filter.  So only contact was at the center and it would have rocked back and forth.

Simply took the Dremel to the spot welds and lost the spacer. Then contact at the center and the outside diameter.  No more wiggle nor rock and roll.

I don't think the hard rubber would work either.  The stock SEUC A/C cover is a stamped piece, one end is wider than the other, and the center (bolt) contact point points inward.....also stamped.  So it makes good contact where the center bolt is, and then there are contact points at the top and bottom of the A/C cover and air filter of about a half inch.  Doesn't contact anywhere else, so it just rocks.....which is a fantastic recipe for the crack in the air filter I now have.  Time to shop for a new A/C cover........like the Air Wing.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 11:15:58 AM »

I have the rubber gasket that Don is speaking of on my filter/cover assembly.  It is not a HARD rubber, but is much denser material than simple foam rubber.  I use a bit of contact spray glue to place the gasket on the filter cover in more of a football shape than round like the filter top cover.  I'm using the Doherty PP system though, which is a slightly different cover on the filter.  It also comes with a thick washer that is used between the inside of the cover cover and the filter top cover.  A little blue loctite on the center bolt, and everything makes good contact, with NO rotation by the cover.  I am careful not to overtighten the center bolt though.  So far, no problems...the Doherty is thicker though, so the whole thing sticks out 1/2 to 3/4 inch further.  Once you index your braking foot to the pedel, you get used to the thing sticking out further.  I've also got the Kury floorboard extender spacers on though...

If you can find grc's original post on the "roll your own" A/C, that rubber gasket is listed as an "if needed" part.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 11:30:30 AM »

I don't think the hard rubber would work either.  The stock SEUC A/C cover is a stamped piece, one end is wider than the other, and the center (bolt) contact point points inward.....also stamped.  So it makes good contact where the center bolt is, and then there are contact points at the top and bottom of the A/C cover and air filter of about a half inch.  Doesn't contact anywhere else, so it just rocks.....which is a fantastic recipe for the crack in the air filter I now have.  Time to shop for a new A/C cover........like the Air Wing.

Henry, yours cracked? Mine cracked, all the way around the center nut so the cover would spin on the filter. I rode without the cover in DC and then the nut of the filter fell to the inside of the filter leaving a hole the size of a quarter.

I fixed the new filter by cutting up the gasket that came with it and put one piece top and bottom and two or three pieces on the front and rear to support the cover there. So far, no problems at all and the cover is real firm now.

:indian_chief:

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:37:50 PM »

New K&N HD-0800, Air Wing A/C cover and TC103 Medallion are on order......along with a matching horn cover and a few other odds & ends.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »

New K&N HD-0800, Air Wing A/C cover and TC103 Medallion are on order......along with a matching horn cover and a few other odds & ends.
Henry,
Great choice :2vrolijk_21: ...

You know there is a horn cover to match, and a 103 medalion will fit on it too. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »

Hey Gary, that photo is copyrighted... ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »

Henry,
Great choice :2vrolijk_21: ...

You know there is a horn cover to match, and a 103 medalion will fit on it too. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I think so, Gary.  I always liked that cover.  Had one on my softail along with the matching horn cover.  I ordered the matching horn cover this time as well as indicated in my earlier post.  Is the 103 medallion a sticker that fits into a blank, which fits into the screw recess on the A/C cover.....just like the TC88 medallion?  If so, I'll just order another 103 medallion to get the sticker for the horn cover.  Pretty cheap at $25.44 for the 103 medallion.  Paid $149.68 for the Air Wing A/C Cover and $36.76 for the Air Wing Horn Cover.  Also ordered the Saddlebag Lid Organizers for $65.36 and the Fairing Lower Glove Box Liners for $23.96.

Henry

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 12:02:47 AM »

I think so, Gary.  I always liked that cover.  Had one on my softail along with the matching horn cover.  I ordered the matching horn cover this time as well as indicated in my earlier post.  Is the 103 medallion a sticker that fits into a blank, which fits into the screw recess on the A/C cover.....just like the TC88 medallion?  If so, I'll just order another 103 medallion to get the sticker for the horn cover.  Pretty cheap at $25.44 for the 103 medallion.  Paid $149.68 for the Air Wing A/C Cover and $36.76 for the Air Wing Horn Cover.  Also ordered the Saddlebag Lid Organizers for $65.36 and the Fairing Lower Glove Box Liners for $23.96.

Henry
It's a heavy metal medallion that has the insert that you can stick it into to fit in the A/C cover, or just use the metal sticker to put into the horn cover. If that makes sense. You'll see when you get it how it works.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 05:54:12 AM »

Roger.  Got it.  Your words tell me all I need to know.  Thx.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »

Twolane,
I was going to remove that welded in spacer, but it looked to me that it was an after thought because the cover would hit the two mounting posts of the backing plate.  Does your SE cover hit the backing plate at the breather bolts now that the spacer and gasket are removed?

Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 03:52:07 PM »

Don,
This was from Jerry's (GRC) "roll your own" thread by FR8TRN:
Try ordering up 29591-99 and adding it to the top of the filter......this'll move the cover away a bit more and allow you to "tighten" up the bolt instead of bottom it out......the cover will start moving after a while....mine did......but only with the K&N Filter, never moved with the SE Air Filter with the original kit.......that gasket you put on the filter isn't thick enough for our chrome cover.....this is just a thicker gasket that HD sells.
 I think this is the one you are referring to. john

Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 03:57:04 PM »

Twolane,
I was going to remove that welded in spacer, but it looked to me that it was an after thought because the cover would hit the two mounting posts of the backing plate.  Does your SE cover hit the backing plate at the breather bolts now that the spacer and gasket are removed?

Thanks

Mine doesn't.  But it's not the right comparison.  Different backing plate here without the mount horns.

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 11:28:16 PM »

New K&N HD-0800 air filter arrived.  Still waiting on the new air cleaner cover and other stuff.  Really would like to ride, but having found that crack, just don't feel comfortable riding with something that might break.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.