Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Who has a 110in. motor that they are happy with?  (Read 12339 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Who has a 110in. motor that they are happy with?
« on: July 29, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »

Instead of the problems, let's hear from those who are actually happy with their 110s.  If so, is your bike stock, or what has been modified to make you happy with it?  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Re: Who has a 110in. motor that they are happy with?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:14:37 PM »

I am happy with the '07 SERK 110...it is #2 in her!   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
All stock..for now.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 02:33:35 PM »

What is #2?  The second motor?  -Steve

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:11:46 PM »

What is #2?  The second motor?  -Steve
Yes, they replaced it after going through all the problems. Runs sweet now.

Deacon

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »

I have a '07 Dyna Superglide that had the 110 kit installed 2230 miles aqo. It is stock with sert, V&H straight shots. I love it. It is light, fast and totaly reliable. It starts every time, idles great, has gobs of torque. It runs cool. Because it's lite and has 110 cubes I have never been able to lug it down. Crack the throttle and it pulls like a frieght train from 1800 to 6200rpms. Each time you shift into the next gear it pulls harder than the last one. No dead spots when crusing and it never pings. No leaks, no noises.
My First Harley and I am suprised at the quality and reliability. I bet I am not the only person who has a good healthy 110. Forums by their nature bring to light issues that occcur, but the folks that are out riding their bikes aren't on the forum all day. I bought a new 2003 German performance car that was racked with problems, I was on the forum bitching all day long. The dealer ended up taking care of everything (took 3 months). I haven't had a problem with the car since. I thought at the time that all the owners of this model were having the same issues because of all the noise on the forum. I found out later that there was a small number built (serial number range) that had these problems.
I hope some other riders that are happy with their 110's will respond to this thread. Then again they are probably out riding.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 06:40:34 PM »

I have a '07 Dyna Superglide that had the 110 kit installed 2230 miles aqo. It is stock with sert, V&H straight shots. I love it. It is light, fast and totaly reliable. It starts every time, idles great, has gobs of torque. It runs cool. Because it's lite and has 110 cubes I have never been able to lug it down. Crack the throttle and it pulls like a frieght train from 1800 to 6200rpms. Each time you shift into the next gear it pulls harder than the last one. No dead spots when crusing and it never pings. No leaks, no noises.
My First Harley and I am suprised at the quality and reliability. I bet I am not the only person who has a good healthy 110. Forums by their nature bring to light issues that occcur, but the folks that are out riding their bikes aren't on the forum all day. I bought a new 2003 German performance car that was racked with problems, I was on the forum bitching all day long. The dealer ended up taking care of everything (took 3 months). I haven't had a problem with the car since. I thought at the time that all the owners of this model were having the same issues because of all the noise on the forum. I found out later that there was a small number built (serial number range) that had these problems.
I hope some other riders that are happy with their 110's will respond to this thread. Then again they are probably out riding.

Two happy owners, one on their replacement engine and the other a hand built upgrade.  I wouldn't say that's any kind of a mandate would you?
We're out riding pleanty, that's why we keep wearing out these 5000 mile head gaskets.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Deacon

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »

Looks like there are about 4000 CVOharley members. Out of that how many you figure own 2007 110
's? I bet not more than 300 or 400 at most. They built 2500 SE Dynas and 2500 SESpringers, I am not sure how many other SE models, but I bet they have shipped at least 20,000 110 engines from MoCo.
I would like to know how many folks on this board are having 100 engine problems. It would be nice to find out the ratio of owners to problems. Maybe I am riding on top of a time bomb. :nixweiss:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »

Deacon your derailing the post and hijacking it.    :oops:

This might be better suited as a separate topic :)

I have a 110
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:15:17 PM »

Instead of the problems, let's hear from those who are actually happy with their 110s.  If so, is your bike stock, or what has been modified to make you happy with it?  -Steve

I am so far...only 3k mile however...sert, rinehart 2-1, se a/c, progressive 440 rear shocks.  From day 1 it was SE slip on's , ac and the dreaded "flash".  I did the other mods at around 800 miles.

I have beat the chite outta it, stuck it traffic till I felt I was sittin on a pizza oven, burn outs, high rpm slip shifted and today a $8k S&S had a time to keep up. 

It  runs great on the open road 80-90 with lots of roll on power left.  Metal temp measured at the rear head via a hand held as showed a high temp of 380....I don't know what that means as I don't monitor oil temp.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »

After, the cylinders were replaced, my 110" motor has performed nicely for 5300 miles
Manufactured 07/06; Received 08/02/06
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:08:16 AM by FLHRSE »

Rhino

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 09:26:48 PM »

Hello Lovers of 110's!

I have a 110, FLHTCUSE2 B/O,  love it, and also added the TMAX w Autotune a while back, and the Zippers 575 Redshift Cam, Rineharts and Zippers A/C. And I am very happy, and she runs great, runs cooler, and idles sweet at 800-850 like a Harley is supposed to. Minor issues include correcting dealer work, and now I have a small head gasket leak, no big deal.  But she runs sweet, and is estimated now at 118/105. Just ask Harry, as I slowly passed him by.......not bad for bolt ons and ins. Ya gotta like it!    OK, a littel exag'ed, but he did not pass me, no way.

Now when Zippers is finished with mapping/injection/checking flow on the 110 nitrous, away I go. As a side note, if you know people with a 96, they just gotta do what Zippers did to their bike. Took a 96, added a 575 cam and their own proprietary nitrous with ThuinderMax integrated for fuel etc, and WHooHoo  144 lbs of torque.  Perfect AFRs across the board, it is a sleeper, and certainly a winner if they tell anyone about it.
(thisisnotanintentionalthreadhijack)

So, do I like the 110?. Yes I do. Perhaps other motors may have been better, but the action and mods on 110's is clearly happening much slower than on previous models. So when the 110's are a couple years older and more is available, heads are understood and played with, they will be up there on their own pedestal as a good performer.  I do know that Zippers did nail it with their best bang for the buck on their cam. Cheapest mods vs HP out there. JMHO.

Rhino

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 09:43:45 PM »

Almost choked on what I was drinking.

OK, a littel exag'ed, but he did not pass me, no way.
   :nixweiss:

Head leak, rockerboxes needing clearancing, hydrolic lines not tightened, pushrod issues werent the fault of the moco so we will leave that one out.   The rest are the fault of the moco.

Better richen it up while I am gone this week in San Jose, otherwise it will be the same result again and this time you can't say its a high end win hehe.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 12:09:20 AM »

110 here "Jester" around 2k runs strong and good......only complaint is heat..........added K&N and sert.no dyno yet

Rhino

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 03:06:37 AM »

Just give up will ya? It aint gonna happen if I open up the throttle a little more anyway
Rhino

Almost choked on what I was drinking.
   :nixweiss:

Head leak, rockerboxes needing clearancing, hydrolic lines not tightened, pushrod issues werent the fault of the moco so we will leave that one out.   The rest are the fault of the moco.

Better richen it up while I am gone this week in San Jose, otherwise it will be the same result again and this time you can't say its a high end win hehe.

Screamin Dyna

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 09:46:49 AM »

Knock on wood I am still very happy with my 110 granted I only have 1500 on it but I have been pretty lucky.
I Love this Bike!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »

The 110 is an excellent motor that needs an awful lot of work on your own to help it along. It seems to have tremendous performance potential. And after all, a CVO is supposed to be a performance motorcycle. As such, it needs to be made more bulletproof to be reliable. I'm hoping that all the work I did to it will allow me the reliability I seek from it. Because I now have the peformance and bulletproof component aspects of it covered. My many mods are documented elsewhere, and are too numerous to list here. But if you take the time and $$$ to fix it up right, you'll be one smiling CVO owner with this engine!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »

Howie,

Without being a kill joy, you could end up after some mileage on the bike, no better off than others are now with the leak.   You are the guinea pig for replacing the juggs, and a different head gasket.   If it works than your validating a possible good fix as a one off.

For the reasons your familiar with my bike and it's continued leaking I surely hope it works out too.

-harry

Rhino

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »

Harry, I have some  confidence on the new jugg installation. I think that is the fix. I would be surprised to see them leak at this point, I think the jug replacements are not the original version somehow. But as you say time will tell.

Rhno

Howie,

Without being a kill joy, you could end up after some mileage on the bike, no better off than others are now with the leak.   You are the guinea pig for replacing the juggs, and a different head gasket.   If it works than your validating a possible good fix as a one off.

For the reasons your familiar with my bike and it's continued leaking I surely hope it works out too.

-harry

RetiredOF

• Senior CVO Member
  • Coming soon to a location near you!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:37 AM »

Well, I don't have any more problems with my 110!  Just traded it in this last Thursday.  Hopefully, this will end my lack of faith in my bike.
Member 3063

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:44 AM »

Ronnie,

Having seen what I have gone through so far with the dealers / MoCo over this issue the past 7 months you understand why I am so cautious with low expectations.   Sure I hope this is the golden fix, but based on the track record I have so far with head leaks / jugg leaks at 17k miles on the bike, I don't wish to be overly optomistic, cause I know when I do I will get bit again.   It's tough being the poster child for Murphy's Law.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 10:30:16 AM »

Time will tell, I agree. But right now I'm so happy with the way the bike runs, I'm not thinking about that right now! Nor do I want to, or hope I ever have to! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 10:41:19 AM »

Talked to a freind over the weekend, he bought a new ultra had the 110 kit put in with rineharts. Very happy pulling a tent trailer no problems. Maybe something better in the kits versus the seuc that came with 110 already. Anyway mine is still in the shop after Nelson. Waiting and hopefull. Happy for the ones with no problems.

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 10:47:53 AM »

I'm really hoping that the '08s are better. Starting to get buyer's remorse.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 11:16:42 AM »

So far, and I have about 3.5K on my SEUC2 and, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with the 110.  No leaks, so far, no unusual clatter coming from the rocker boxes.  I had the V&H True Duals, slip on ovals, SEAC, and SERT done right out of the box.  Had it dyno'd at 1K service.  It's not the fastest SEUC out there, but I'm not into having the fastest touring rig.  I'm into touring.  Has plenty of torque (107 at the rear wheel) from 2200 rpms up, just where I need and like it.  Puts out roughly 90hp with no internal mods done.  I don't notice an extreme heat issue, because the stock cross-over is not there and I've put the HD mid-frame heat shields on. (Worth their weight in gold, IMO).  Am I one of the fortunate ones?  Maybe, I don't know.  I don't ride the pi$$ (no burnouts, taking it all the way up to 6200, etc) out of it, but I don't treat it gently either.  It's been a great ride.  My only complaint with it has been that constant whining the tranny makes in 5th gear.  Going to shift over to another tranny fluid (red line shock proof maybe) to see if I can quiet it down a little.    Hope this helps.  Unfortunately, you don't see how many people haven't had any issues with their rides, because they don't have any need to post.  There were roughly 12,000 CVO's made last year. That's 12000 110's put on the street.  I don't know how many have had issues with theirs, but I'd venture to guess it's less than 10%.  Is that bad?  I don't know, I guess it is, if you're one of the ones that falls in that group. 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »

So far, and I have about 3.5K on my SEUC2 and, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with the 110.  No leaks, so far, no unusual clatter coming from the rocker boxes.  I had the V&H True Duals, slip on ovals, SEAC, and SERT done right out of the box.  Had it dyno'd at 1K service.  It's not the fastest SEUC out there, but I'm not into having the fastest touring rig.  I'm into touring.  Has plenty of torque (107 at the rear wheel) from 2200 rpms up, just where I need and like it.  Puts out roughly 90hp with no internal mods done.  I don't notice an extreme heat issue, because the stock cross-over is not there and I've put the HD mid-frame heat shields on. (Worth their weight in gold, IMO).  Am I one of the fortunate ones?  Maybe, I don't know.  I don't ride the pi$$ (no burnouts, taking it all the way up to 6200, etc) out of it, but I don't treat it gently either.  It's been a great ride.  My only complaint with it has been that constant whining the tranny makes in 5th gear.  Going to shift over to another tranny fluid (red line shock proof maybe) to see if I can quiet it down a little.    Hope this helps.  Unfortunately, you don't see how many people haven't had any issues with their rides, because they don't have any need to post.   There were roughly 12,000 CVO's made last year. That's 12000 110's put on the street.  I don't know how many have had issues with theirs, but I'd venture to guess it's less than 10%.  Is that bad?  I don't know, I guess it is, if you're one of the ones that falls in that group. 

I joined this site when I was a Wannabe. All I knew at the time was that I wanted a Touring bike and I had rented an '06 and thought it was grossly under powered. So I came here looking for information. Since buying my '07 I have found out that others have had problems. If it was not for this site and Chief (I think) posting a picture of what a leaking head gasket was I would have never know I had a problem. I ride my bike. I've got over 10k miles on it already. I think that most people who have joined this site do so to become more educated about their motorcycle and not necessarily just to bit**. I love my bike and want to keep it for a long time.

crunch29

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 seultra, red and black, D&D fat cat,SE Ventilator air cleaner, se pro tuner,Pro 110 performance upgrade
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »

I have an 07 SEUC purchased it in late June. Have 1200 miles on it. Have installed slip on Rineharts,AC, and SERT.  So far it runs very good.  I had it dynoed at my 1000 mile service. One thing I'm nervious about is after this service I noticed when I drove it home a small oil leak. It was dripping off the oil cooler bracket. I check the filter and it's not leaking. I think the dealer must have spille doil when changing the filter? I wiped it up and have ran it about 50 miles since and haven't noticed any further dripping?

I am a bit nervous as I'm leaving in 2 weeks for a trip of about 4000 miles.

I assume mine is a later production unit? Does anyone know if they made some changes to improve the issues?

Crunch.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 12:23:54 PM »

Crunch,

What is the date of mfg. on your bike?
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »

I think that most people who have joined this site do so to become more educated about their motorcycle and not necessarily just to bit**. I love my bike and want to keep it for a long time.
Good point!  -I hope the majority DON'T have problems!  On the other hand, I don't recall seeing too many problems on the CVOs through '06.  Everyone was just trying to get their bikes to sound and run better.  -Retail& Steve

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 04:41:23 PM »

I love my bike, and I am not having any engine related issues.  But I did have a lot of engine work done early on, which may have prevented me from experiencing any of the "leak" issues.

Later,
Ghost

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »

I have an 07 SEUC purchased it in late June. ...

Crunch.

Crunch, besides the mfg. date what color are your jug tags? Either silver or black that say "screamin eagle 110".
Also please leave some info in the '07 registry.

07_Flhrse3

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 06:47:28 PM »

2007 BI SERK - no problems to date.  RH true duals and SERT with download.  No custom map/dyno to date.  Notice it runs hot in traffic, but OK out on the road.  Plenty of power and torque for me.  Glad I bought 07 vice 08 as I like the looks better.   Otter

crunch29

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 seultra, red and black, D&D fat cat,SE Ventilator air cleaner, se pro tuner,Pro 110 performance upgrade
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 08:06:42 PM »

My bike was manufactured in 03/07 and I have black tags on the cylinders.

Crunch

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »

I have an 07 SEUC purchased it in late June. Have 1200 miles on it. Have installed slip on Rineharts,AC, and SERT.  So far it runs very good.  I had it dynoed at my 1000 mile service. One thing I'm nervious about is after this service I noticed when I drove it home a small oil leak. It was dripping off the oil cooler bracket. I check the filter and it's not leaking. I think the dealer must have spille doil when changing the filter? I wiped it up and have ran it about 50 miles since and haven't noticed any further dripping?

I am a bit nervous as I'm leaving in 2 weeks for a trip of about 4000 miles.

I assume mine is a later production unit? Does anyone know if they made some changes to improve the issues?

Crunch.

Crunch,
I've had the same problem with the oil "leak" right after an oil change.  It's also happened on my '02.  Talked to the dealer and oil, when they take the filter off can spill, if their not careful into the chrome cover around the oil cooler.  When you stop the bike the oil trapped in there will drip out giving the impression that you may have a leak.  Both times on my bikes, that was the issue.  I'm pretty sure that's what happened to you too.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 09:58:45 PM »

Crunch,
I've had the same problem with the oil "leak" right after an oil change.  It's also happened on my '02.  Talked to the dealer and oil, when they take the filter off can spill, if their not careful into the chrome cover around the oil cooler.  When you stop the bike the oil trapped in there will drip out giving the impression that you may have a leak.  Both times on my bikes, that was the issue.  I'm pretty sure that's what happened to you too.
For this reason I always come back home after service and Gunk the oil cooler and under the motor to get rid of the residue. I don't even bother with having dealership wash my bike after because I'm coming home to detail it anyway.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rogerkmac

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 10:29:30 PM »

3,200 Miles and so far no drips, no runs, no errors.  Knock on wood, I picked up the bike on April 13th, which by the way was a Friday.  After spending $8,000 plus on my '06 Road King, getting it just the way I wanted and then taking a bath when I traded it in on the new wheels, I have left this one stock.  To date I'm happy with the bike and this one may be a keeper.  If that's the case then I guess I have to start making a list....

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »

My bike was manufactured in 03/07 and I have black tags on the cylinders.

Crunch

Based on the information provided, you should have the new gaskets already installed.

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2007, 12:15:17 AM »

'07 SEUC picked up last October - No Problems except dealer screw ups!  Went with stage 1 a/c, RT, New pipes, dynoed, etc.  Runs great and like I said no problems with 5,000+ miles!!

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 07:14:33 AM »

One thing I'm nervious about is after this service I noticed when I drove it home a small oil leak. It was dripping off the oil cooler bracket. I check the filter and it's not leaking. I think the dealer must have spille doil when changing the filter? I wiped it up and have ran it about 50 miles since and haven't noticed any further dripping?

Crunch;
Like some other members have mentioned, this oil is from spillage occuring during the oil change. I discovered this when I removed my oil cooler trim cover --and hence the oil cooler as well (I did not undo the lines)-- AFTER having my 1,000 mile service done. There's only two small nylock nuts holding both onto the mount. Couldn't believe the amount of oil and accumulated crud hidden in there. Small bits of road debris, etc. I for one, will undo the nuts and clean the area periodically and after each oil change.

leoniru

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • Pain is Mandatory. Misery is Optional.
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 02:15:51 PM »

Manufacture Date 08/2006 black 110" tags.

500 mile break in before changing anything.
S&S cams, Big Sucker, D&D Fat Cat 2 - 1,
SERT. Redline Motorcycle Oil, MTL & Heavy
Shockproof. Had a smoking rear cylinder that
was found to have a blocked oil galley at the
deck. Cleared the obstruction, new rings F&R,
new gaskets F&R, new plugs, re-dyno and all
R&R under warranty $0.00

Fun Factor, Rideability & Reliability = PRICELESS
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:38:13 AM by hdfatboy »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 02:27:06 PM »

Based on the information provided, you should have the new gaskets already installed.

New gaskets are failing also on mine and many others.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 02:30:12 PM »

Manufacture Date 08/2007 black 110" tags.

500 mile break in before changing anything.
S&S cams, Big Sucker, D&D Fat Cat 2 - 1,
SERT. Redline Motorcycle Oil, MTL & Heavy
Shockproof. Had a smoking rear cylinder that
was found to have a blocked oil galley at the
deck. Cleared the obstruction, new rings F&R,
new gaskets F&R, new plugs, re-dyno and all
R&R under warranty $0.00

Fun Factor, Rideability & Reliability = PRICELESS

Excellent hdfb!!! The man gets it! Set it up right and enjoy it! :2vrolijk_21: Good luck with it! Did you use the 585's? Has it been final tuned yet, or are you waiting for more mileage? Did they check your runout when you did the cams? I hope so, just so you know what you have. Sounds like a gem of a dealer you have! Enjoy the bike! ;) Hoist! 8)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »

WELL I'VE HAD MY 110 A YEAR .JUST TURNED 17,000 MILES RODE 4000 MILES STOCK AND IT WAS VERY HOT.I HAD IT TUNED BEFORE THE CANDYLAND RIDE AND TEN TIMES BETTER. A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE CANDYLAND RIDE FOUND A LEAKY HEADGASKET RODE ALMOST 4000 MILES BEFORE DEALER HAD ANY PARTS TO FIX.USED A 1/2 QUART OF OIL IN THAT TIME FRAME.I'VE HAD 3 NEW BIKES IN 4 YRS AND RODE ALMOST 60,000 MILES AND REGUARDLESS OF THE FEW PROBLEMS.THIS BABY IS A KEEPER ,I LOVE TO RIDE THIS BABY.IF YOU GUYS ENJOY YOURS 1/2 AS MUCH AS ME ,YOU WILL BE ONE HAPPY CAMPER.RIDE SAFE AND RIDE ALOT. JDO

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »

Excellent hdfb!!! The man gets it! Set it up right and enjoy it! :2vrolijk_21: Good luck with it! Did you use the 585's? Has it been final tuned yet, or are you waiting for more mileage? Did they check your runout when you did the cams? I hope so, just so you know what you have. Sounds like a gem of a dealer you have! Enjoy the bike! ;) Hoist! 8)

Howie,
S&S 625G's but I really need to get the heads done now. Flow charachteristics aren't the greatest and the valve geometery doesn't impress me either. I just haven't decided to whom to send them  :nixweiss: So . . . really not final tuned yet.Saw a nicely done set of re-worked OE heads from an 03 RG from Michigan that chit the bed while touring south western PA and ended up in my shop but never could find out where he got them done. Runout was perfect! Less than 3thou. Man I love that Fat Cat w/those cams it idles like an old muscle car! Mine pulls from about 2200 and never quits. I can only imagine how it will run with the heads re-worked and larger throttle body. Strongly considering Baisley and going forged pistons, shaved and reworked chambers and decking the cylinders to match  :nixweiss: Waiting until after Thanksgiving to go back into her. The dealer IS great & has always treated me fairly, but the gentleman who I work with & wrenches on her is in large part why I go there. He's got a wealth of knowledge, really knows his way around the SERT and is very meticulous.

How's your girl treating you? Been following your "abuse" thread - sounds impressive brother :2vrolijk_21:!
Later,
Mike
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:30:47 AM by hdfatboy »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 09:35:30 AM »

Howie,
S&S 625G's but I really need to get the heads done now. Flow charachteristics aren't the greatest and the valve geometery doesn't impress me either. I just haven't decided to whom to send them  :nixweiss: So . . . really not final tuned yet.Saw a nicely done set of re-worked OE heads from an 03 RG from Michigan that chit the bed while touring south western PA and ended up in my shop but never could find out where he got them done. Runout was perfect! Less than 3thou. Man I love that Fat Cat w/those cams it idles like an old muscle car! Mine pulls from about 2200 and never quits. I can only imagine how it will run with the heads re-worked and larger throttle body. Strongly considering Baisley and going forged pistons, shaved and reworked chambers and decking the cylinders to match  :nixweiss: Waiting until after Thanksgiving to go back into her. The dealer IS great & has always treated me fairly, but the gentleman who I work with & wrenches on her is in large part why I go there. He's got a wealth of knowledge, really knows his way around the SERT and is very meticulous.

How's your girl treating you? Been following your "abuse" thread - sounds impressive brother :2vrolijk_21:!
Later,
Mike

Sounds like a good package Mike. Your motor will be much happier w/the larger TB. If your planning headwork, I wouldn't go smaller than 54 mm. The headwork/head gasklet can accomplish your compression and keep you under 10:1 w/flat top pistons. Axtel makes 4" Forged Flat Top Pistons for stock compression. I'd think about reworking your heads instead of using a different design. These heads are very good, but need some tweaking. Glad you have a good tuner. That's the key to everything after the work's done! I pick mine up this weekend (hopefull) and it should be in it's final configuration (for now! ::) ). I'll let you know how it does.

Hoist! 8)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 09:00:26 AM »

HD Fatboy;

Manufacture Date 08/2007

You must have meant 08/06 as your post dated 07/31/07 -- if correct-- would mean you possess a bike that hasn't been built yet!
A definite Rod Serling episode.

leoniru

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 12:47:48 PM »

Crunch,
I had the same thing happen to me, wiped it off a couple of times and it didn't come back. Next oil change I was more carefull and no drip.

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »

Mine has been okay, I guess.  Hard to start when hot, other than the noisy heads its been okay, no leaks - breakdowns, etc... My SERK was born 4/07 and has about 500 miles.
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

SDSERK

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE "Black Ice"
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 02:05:32 PM »

Manufactured 06/07...almost 700 miles, just installed V & H Dresser Duals/Ovals and a Fuelpak...no problems so far...Knock on wood ::)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »

Hard10,

What information are you talking about?  Sorry, I may have missed something, but are you saying the change in gaskets was made concurrent with the change in cylinder tags?

John
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »

HD Fatboy;

You must have meant 08/06 as your post dated 07/31/07 -- if correct-- would mean you possess a bike that hasn't been built yet!

leoniru

nah . . . 08/06 - guess you could say i was outta my zone . . .  :confused5:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:44:33 AM by hdfatboy »

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »

Hard10,

What information are you talking about?  Sorry, I may have missed something, but are you saying the change in gaskets was made concurrent with the change in cylinder tags?

John

It seems motors with black badges and silver script (the reverse of the earlier motors) began appearing around the same time the new part number for the revised head gaskets appeared. Coincidence ?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:41:38 AM by hdfatboy »

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2007, 12:24:16 PM »

Just turned 5K on my 07 SEUC; picked it up in May, put on AC, tuner, supertrapps, runs great, no problems. I'm very happy with it....
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2007, 01:34:35 AM »

Hard10,

John

It seems motors with black badges and silver script (the reverse of the earlier motors) began appearing around the same time the new part number for the revised head gaskets appeared. Coincidence ?

Yup! That's what I was trying to say.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2007, 08:38:03 AM »

HD Fatboy;

leoniru
Mine was built in August 2006, but as Howie says, it's still not done!

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »

Mine was built in August 2006, but as Howie says, it's still not done!

AMEN!!!  ;)
Every time my girlfriend walks into the garage and finds mine on the lift she just grins, shakes her head and says:
"I thought that the CVO's didn't NEED anything" . . . :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:48:15 AM by hdfatboy »

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2007, 08:27:41 PM »

Well - let me put it this way - read the post re. lifter noise above and throw a slice of "I've already had the head gaskets done" Pie on it-----You'll pretty much have my answer
that said - I have a 1997 FLSTS with 40,000 miles that is slower than George Bush but runs like a champ - AND - you can lug it down to about 1500 RPM in any gear and just chug right along for ever without a care - oh and it doen't overheat !
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2007, 10:24:30 PM »

:)I have a 2007 SE Ultra.  I installed the TMAT -AT after many issues with heat and pinging in the 100 degree heat of Texas.  The bike ran terrible in Colorado in 100 degree heat and 10,000 feet.  As I love everything about the bike except the heat and the pinging, I installed the TAMT-AT with a K&N air filter (left the mufflers stock).  I have now ridden over 1000 miles on the new setup with no pinging and greatly reduced heat.  The bike pulls much better and I am getting 42 mpg (I ride fairly hard).  I have over 4500 total miles and with the changes, I love the bike.  It will pull right through 100 miles per hour and then I stop.  Too old to get killed at this speed.

One more good point is the bike sounds better and is much smoother with the throttle.  One thing to remember, the larger engine has to generate more BTU's but the issues was the temperature was to high.

Zippers was great to deal with.  Spending $35000 on the bike and then spending almost another $1000 to make the engine perform does not say much for HD but the bike is great.

HD needs to either switch to water cooled or figure out a way to fix the EPA problem.  My bike would now be illegal in some states.

I have to SE buddies whom have added the TMAT-At and we are all now happy.  One had an SERK that was for sale.  After TMAT and a trip to Sturgis he is keeping the bike.

HD would not help with the problem.  WOW how do you sell a bike in Texas with these issues.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2007, 12:13:09 PM »

D&D Fat Cats, K$N filter, SERT, dyno tune. Very happy with mine at 4,000 miles. Starts easy, runs strong. Two 1,000 mile runs without problems. Burnt 1 qt Redline 20W-50.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2007, 01:33:03 PM »

I think I do now! Cycle-rama modified heads and custom 595 cams, 62 mm HPI TB, D&D Fatcats w/Quiet Performance Muffler, PC III, and an ass-kicking tune by Joe's Cycle Repair! 126TQ/120HP. Starts real easy, runs real cool, and goes like hell! Let's see how it holds up now! ;)

Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »

I think I do now! Cycle-rama modified heads and custom 595 cams, 62 mm HPI TB, D&D Fatcats w/Quiet Performance Muffler, PC III, and an ass-kicking tune by Joe's Cycle Repair! 126TQ/120HP. Starts real easy, runs real cool, and goes like hell! Let's see how it holds up now! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"For now"  I like yer mettle mister!  Didja do the Timkin upgrade too?

Miker

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »

I went topless today Howie!!!  The bugs are tasty this time of year!

Miker

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2007, 10:33:27 PM »

I went topless today Howie!!!  The bugs are tasty this time of year!

Miker

That looks awesome that way miker! :2vrolijk_21: Looks great stipped down with the hard bags! Great job man. :2vrolijk_21: Mine will be here soon! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2007, 10:35:20 PM »

"For now"  I like yer mettle mister!  Didja do the Timkin upgrade too?

Miker

No Timkin now. Never pulled the engine or split the cases. Just did the top end over. With the bulletproof top end, let's see how the bottom holds up! ;) Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »

Thanks Howie...I don't know if anybody will be able to see the TQ only as a blurr...Best of Luck & Ride in good health my man..Todays rain washed the bugs outta my beard..

Miker

BartManSr

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 11:25:31 PM »

Overall I love the 110, but hate the heat issue that HD won't talk about.

I have a  SERK3 with a D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 standard exhaust system with the Auto Tuner.
The Auto Tuner was recheck at Sturgis from Zippers (there service was super). I've added
nothing else to the bike and it has 4,000 miles on it. No problem driving "to and from"
Sturgis this year.

HOWEVER; I couldn't make it through Sturgis street traffic without my "check engine"
light coming on.  Does any buddy know what I can do to cool the engine down.
I live in Tulsa Oklahoma, and it's always hot here in the summer.

Any suggestions other than moving or staying out of traffic?

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2007, 11:17:33 AM »

I'm very happy with my 07 Ultra CVO Just did 3500km(I'm from Canada eh) down to the Dragon + 7 other states.
No problems whatsoever, It ran flawless. Now it's time for some jump. I have Thunder-Max/ D&D FATCATS with
SE Breather. Its in the shop for new cams/pistons/headwork. I had an 04 bagger pushing 115hp so this one
is more sluggish. I'll post the results.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2007, 11:32:09 AM »

I have a  SERK3 with a D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 standard exhaust system with the Auto Tuner.
The Auto Tuner was recheck at Sturgis from Zippers (there service was super). I've added
nothing else to the bike and it has 4,000 miles on it. No problem driving "to and from"
Sturgis this year.

HOWEVER; I couldn't make it through Sturgis street traffic without my "check engine"

Changing the exhaust and adding the turner should have helped.  Did you change the air cleaner as well (K&N or Arlen Ness).  I would suggest having someone check into that engine light issue.  I rode all over Sturgis, in all kinds of traffic, 2 up, and the engine got hot and it pinged some, but I never got a check engine light.

I am sure some of the guys here can give you some good suggestions on what might be the source of the problem, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2007, 12:11:26 PM »

Sturgis this year.

I'm not sure where I read this on this forum, but I think the new firmware for the Tmax has a higher temp on the front cylinder before the light will come on.  Perhaps one of the more knowledgable Tmax people here will confirm that.  You would think Zippers would have loaded your system with the latest version of the firmware, but one never knows for sure.

What brand of oil are you running?  If it's Syn3, you might want to change over to Mobil 1 Vtwin or Amsoil which will help in cooling the oil temps 10 or more degrees.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2007, 12:32:41 PM »

Flow is very restricted in these 110's. And lean. Both create heat. If you are serious about fixing the problem you must fix the flow issues. You should change the Throttle Body to at least 50mm ( even Harley did this on the 08" ), change that EPA air restricting cam, ( anything would be better ) good lift but no duration. Sounds like you have the pipes already D&D Fatcats good choice and a good EFI Tuning system of your choice. Add the K&N Filter and a good person to tune it and your set. No more heat issues. And oh yea, change the brand of oil. :bananarock: RIDE COOL
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:34:54 PM by KingDog »

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »

I'm very happy with my 07 Ultra CVO Just did 3500km(I'm from Canada eh) down to the Dragon + 7 other states.
No problems whatsoever, It ran flawless. Now it's time for some jump. I have Thunder-Max/ D&D FATCATS with
SE Breather. Its in the shop for new cams/pistons/headwork. I had an 04 bagger pushing 115hp so this one
is more sluggish. I'll post the results.
Hey Muffman, interested in knowing what your mods are, pistons, cams how much headwork ect. And the results. Keep us posted.

BartManSr

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »

I think it was HWY 34 that ran into Sturgis with all the vender's on it. Traffic would craw for 4-5 blocks (moving ten feet at a time).
That's where my trouble was!

I'm using Syn oil, and the stock air cleaner now. I thought we already had an
upgraded air filter; I guess not. What brand name Cam would you suggest?
I also thought Syn Oil was the best I could do. Does the 5,000 mile maintenance also includes a tune and should I have HD or one
of the customs shops do it?  Thanks for the tips.

Thanks a million (non cash-able)

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »

Hey Muffman, interested in knowing what your mods are, pistons, cams how much headwork ect. And the results. Keep us posted.

I'll do that. I'm on Holidays until August 30 & will be picking up the bike Sept 1.

BartManSr

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2007, 01:51:57 PM »

Would changing the fuel mix (making it more richer and less leaner) help cool the engine down?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2007, 02:00:29 PM »

Richer will help to a point.   By making it richer though you may change the way the bike runs especially down low where it might be a bit sluggish if you add to much fuel.  If it is lean there now it may end up making it better though.

Going to have to play with it and see how you come out.   Check the plugs often if you go this route.

White is to lean, tan is good, black is bad.

In most cases those that won't pay for a dyno at the local harley they will add 5 units of fuel in basic mode from 750 rpm to 3000 rpm and will 8 units of fuel from 3500 - 7000 in the race tuner to be sure the guy doesnt blow the bike up running it home with air cleaner and pipes.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2007, 02:08:58 PM »

I think it was HWY 34 that ran into Sturgis with all the vender's on it. Traffic would craw for 4-5 blocks (moving ten feet at a time).
That's where my trouble was!

I'm using Syn oil, and the stock air cleaner now. I thought we already had an
upgraded air filter; I guess not. What brand name Cam would you suggest?
I also thought Syn Oil was the best I could do. Does the 5,000 mile maintenance also includes a tune and should I have HD or one
of the customs shops do it?  Thanks for the tips.

Thanks a million (non cash-able)

Bart...Syn3 comes stock in all three holes, but it is an inferior product compared to either Mobil 1 Vtwin (20w50) OR Amsoil 20w50.  Either of those products are excellent and can be run in all holes (tranny, primary, and crankcase).  Many dealers refuse to use the oil you provide, but that varies from dealer to dealer. If they will not use your product, you can have an Indy shop do the service or do it yourself.  You do have the high flow backplate and PAPER HD filter.  The filter is a POS and will eventually fall apart on you, so go ahead and change it out to a K&N 0800 or something like the Arlen Ness big sucker.  At least do the K&N...it's washable and will last you a very, very long time.

NO, they do NOT tune your engine at the 5K service, or any other service for that matter.  And, the only way you can get a good tune is to go somewhere with a Tmax tuner, or load one of Zippers maps for the autotune and let it tune itself, if one if available for your setup.  HD will NOT tune the Tmax, or at least I have not heard of a dealer who would.

Cams are a whole different ball game...if you are happy with the bike performs, I would get a good tune on it and see if that cures your problems.

If you are not happy with the performance, then there are a multitude of options to make the top end of the bike "better", but at this point, it is my opinion that it would just confuse things for you.  How your dealer feels about warranty work with the Tmax, whether they would insist on doing the work, blah, blah, blah.  If you don't care about he warranty, then that is also a new ballgame...and, how much money do you want to spend, what kind of riding style do you have, do you ride two up mostly...what are you looking for out of the bike.

Adding more fuel will help cool the engine, but it needs proper tuning, not just adding fuel blindly.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2007, 04:41:53 PM »

Got my 07 SE Ultra back in Sept. Had new pistons and jugs put on at 10k miles for oil leaks. Have just over 30k miles on it now and it's leaking again. Will be taking it to another shop in a week or so for new jugs again. I've already had a long sit down with the regional factory cust service rep. If this doesn't fix it, I'll likely look into legal action.

I really think you all that haven't had troubles yet are mostly due to low miles. I wish you the best but keep an eye on your bikes, especially around the top and bottom of the cylinders. >:(

Rhino

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2007, 07:25:44 PM »

Hello Sr.

One of the first things I changed was my idle speed.  By slowly lowering the RPM idle on the TMAX about 50 rpm at a time when connected 'live'*, I was able to get it to idle around 800RPM.  For the summer heat, and those darned traffic tyeups, I found that this saved me about 15-20 degrees on the oil temp. Likewise it reduces cylinder temps, whcih is what the alarm is keyed on. Slower RPM=Less heat generated.   A new feature in the software revisions is going to be the high temp alarms.  It is set for 325, but can be raised if you like. I chose not to, I fixed the problem, rather than mask it and run hot.

* 1. Idle reduced incrementally when linked and bike running so TMAX learning did not chase the new settings. Throttle blips to insure bike stays running smoothly is all that is neccessary, before reducing idle rpm again.  2. Check Idle temp vs engine speed screen, looking to make sure idle will not increase when running hot temps. Normally it will slow down even further, if not, make 800, or slow RPM of choice the lowest all the way to end of screen on right. 3. When idling low, make sure oil pressure is still good, and check the charge rate to make sure you are not discharging.  In cooler weather, when using heated seat/handgrips, the low idle may not be enough for a charge when in stopped traffic for long periods. Hope this helps.

Rhino

Sturgis this year.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »

the factory cam profile is to blame also. install real cams ad cure the heat.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »

2007 Dyna Screaming Eagle 110ci factory w/ only sert, mobil 1 fluids, K&N air filter & Vance & Hines Big Shot staggered-

I have 3,900 miles with no real engine issues. She pulls fast and hard, I am always loosing hair ties & stick on wheel weights (each time the crack from the sound barrier occurs). I have had assembly issues, loose front tree pre-load, gas tank not torqued and started knocking over bumps, ect. Overall I am extremely happy with the bike, and very glad I got the '07, echoing the earlier sentiments about the '07 looking better than '08...
I do have to tell y'all, a friend of mine built a 103ci out of an 88ci...his numbers are amazing-113 hp and 119 ft pds (it was 102 degrees outside when he did the dyno runs here in virginia). I hope I can match if not beat those numbers in time, when I begin engine mods (when the wife gets over the whole "you spend way too much money thing).
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Torque

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2007, 07:18:36 PM »

I have 2...one the SE Ultra Classic, the other the SE Road King. Both have Rinehart headers with SE Race Tuners. I have been somewhat dissapointed in the horsepower compared to the 103's, although torque is better. The engine cooled down with a cooler burning set of plugs and mileage. I have had NO problems mechanically (knock on wood).

Torque

BartManSr

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2007, 09:17:48 PM »

Rhino, Ghost Rider, TCnBham, & KingDog thanks for the info.

Torque,

What did you mean by "The engine cooled down with a cooler burning set of plugs and mileage"?
What kind of plugs are you using?

Thanks

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2007, 09:49:42 PM »

Rhino, Ghost Rider, TCnBham, & KingDog thanks for the info.

Torque,

What did you mean by "The engine cooled down with a cooler burning set of plugs and mileage"?
What kind of plugs are you using?

Thanks
  I understand it is not recommended by HD to change the plugs to hotter OR colder, but that may be out the window with mods.  :nixweiss: I didn't see it necessary to change mine. :confused5:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »

Hey Rhino, at what RPM do you maybe get concerned about it becoming 'hard' on the lower end?  Or, is that not a issue when lowering the idle on these motors?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Rhino

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2007, 06:26:16 PM »

Hey Rhino, at what RPM do you maybe get concerned about it becoming 'hard' on the lower end?  Or, is that not a issue when lowering the idle on these motors?  :nixweiss: spyder

I take it you are referring to my previous post on this thread?
Not sure what you mean by hard exactly, but if you are referring to extra wear and tear, you don't want your motor jumping around all over the place with a lower idle.  Lowest idle and remaining smooth is ok for stock on these new versions. A little old fashioned thump is great with an aftermarket cam profile, reminds me of old school just a little..

You know, the thump, and exhaust note.....  the way HD is supposed to be.  Today its kinda lost in translation a little.

Rhino

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2007, 08:43:25 PM »

07 FXDSE and have been extremely happy with it.  It ran a little hot before the pipes and SERT but now is acceptable.  Motor runs quiet and the transmission is smooth and quiet.

Very happy so far with 1800 miles on it, bought it 07/07.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2007, 05:43:50 PM »

Happy with 110 kit in 07 Street Glide. Had over 5000 miles on her with no problems. SERT / RH true duals. She was a great bike.

Bumped into a 08 SERK at a dealership and that was that.  ;D
1000 miles on 08 but that's not enough to know anything.

I'll keep you posted.

JW

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2007, 06:51:32 PM »

Maybe the kit 110 was installed correctly

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2007, 06:53:44 PM »

Right now I'm happy, but I'll reserve judgement until I put it thru a full Hoist Road Trip Test. Ask me in 2 weeks! ;)

Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »

Right now I'm happy, but I'll reserve judgement until I put it thru a full Hoist Road Trip Test. Ask me in 2 weeks! ;)

Hoist! 8)

BONZ mutha effin AI!

Miker

Cerdo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »

Totally happy with the bike (FLHTCUSE-2 B/O Jester). Just got back from the MoCo sponsored Adirandack ride to upatate NY and Lake Placid; and the bike was awesome. The old lady and I had to pack all the gear and really loaded down the bike. It performed well and the power band from 60 to 80 MPH is awesome. I never had to downshift and cruised through all of the hills and montains with ease. 6 days, 1,749 miles and no problems.  All Stock.
Andy

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2007, 09:42:04 PM »

Totally happy with the bike (FLHTCUSE-2 B/O Jester). Just got back from the MoCo sponsored Adirandack ride to upatate NY and Lake Placid; and the bike was awesome. The old lady and I had to pack all the gear and really loaded down the bike. It performed well and the power band from 60 to 80 MPH is awesome. I never had to downshift and cruised through all of the hills and montains with ease. 6 days, 1,749 miles and no problems.  All Stock.
That sounds great, Cerdo.  Good to hear that a bike is performing as expected right out of the box.   :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 21 queries.