Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First impressions with the new Zippers 4.5 Firmware  (Read 2058 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
First impressions with the new Zippers 4.5 Firmware
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:51:15 AM »

The firmware does make a difference. Popping was eliminated in the high and low rpm areas bounded by the Decel Fuel Cut settings.

My initial setting for the Decel Post Fuel Enrichement was 16.08, this was the setting that popped up after loading the upgrade. I was going to change it to 7.86 like someone on another forum suggested, but was unsure if a change that drastic was wise. Zippers always says to make "small" changes in all the settings. So I split the difference and set it to 10.0.

I took the bike for a ride and noticed the popping stopped. I also picked up a few "new" things. At one point, there was a single loud pop backfire during a shift from 1st to 2nd. I think this occured when I shifted right at the Decel Fuel Cut PRM High setting point. Additionally, the bike started lurching at the exact point the Decel Fuel Cut RPM Low setting is. It's like a blip of the throttle, or more exactly, the engine suddenly getting a dose of fuel during a decel.

So, when I got home I did two things. I changed the Decel Post Fuel Enrichment from 10.0 to 7.84. I tried to set it to 7.86, but it kept defaulting to 7.84. I also changed the Decel Fule Cut RPM Low setting to 1,500rpm, an area that I normally do not ride in. This way, any abrupt dose of fuel at that rpm will not affect my riding.

Suggestions, ideas, comments, feedback please.
How is everyone else coming with theirs?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
Re: First impressions with the new Zippers 4.5 Firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »

Thanks Ironhorse...

I am going to install and tweak the new firmware today.
Not sure how much riding mileage today as 'they' are forecasting the heat index to be 110+

Although that will be a good test of high temp engine operation.     :sweatdrop:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:36 PM »

Thanks Ironhorse...

I am going to install and tweak the new firmware today.
Not sure how much riding mileage today as 'they' are forecasting the heat index to be 110+

Although that will be a good test of high temp engine operation.     :sweatdrop:

I guess that's a good way to test for pinging going up a hill.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Rhino

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:18:43 PM »

Hello All,

It is nice that someone got a copy of the Zippers Firmware, but frankly, be careful. It is ONLY A BETA COPY AND IS FILLED WITH BUGS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN FIXED IN THIS VERSION.  THERE IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE, JUST A FIELD TESTING INSTRUMENT. WHY THIS IS EVEN BEING DISTRIBUTED IS ANNOYING. IT WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS.

The final release will be available on Zippers/Thundermax site, so be advised.

Rhino

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 10:25:31 PM »

Help me please?

Soft ware was released.  By who?

Software was released full of bugs. Why?

This doesn't make sense. Your selling a product and software full of bugs is released to support it?

WOW
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:41:59 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Help me Ronnie?

Software was released full of bugs. Why?

This doesn't make sense. Your selling a product and software full of bugs is released to support it?

WOW
Not to defend anyone/any company, but it's a common practice to release software in "beta" versions. Unlike the MoCo that will release products to the public before all the bugs are worked out, beta versions of software are released to "computer geeks" or others that are willing to test it to find bugs before final release. Microsoft does this frequently to those that are willing to test the software. If you're not computer literate then it's best to stay away from "beta" versions and let the bugs be worked out and get the final release version.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »

Thanks dOOd

Now that's an answer I understand!

S
  /
    B

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Rhino

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:17:40 PM »

Thats it, who released the FIRMWARE? Copies circulate to certain people who will wring it out.  It is not intended for release until it is official. Someone jumped the gun. Why? Who?  WHo knows.  Just wait for an official release, thats all. A lot of companies release beta versions, but it was not for generic public consumption in this case.  It's only a few more days now anyway.
Rhino

Help me please?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 01:04:05 AM »

Guys,

I talked to JDK yesterday and he is sending me a new ECM, (whole other Zippers issue, LOL!!!). Anyway, he said my new ECM will have the new firmware 4.5 in it, so that tells me that they are distributing it as of now. The copy I got off another site and brought over here was given by Danny Fitz. Fitz said the ONLY reason they are not putting it up for download yet is because they are finalizing a new set of Adobe Acrobat PDF instructions to go along with it. They just didn't want to make it available without the proper manual being available to go with it. The big hold up is that everyone above the rank of Ensign went to Sturgis to hawk the product. Now I should be getting the new manual on a disc along with the 4.5 in my new ECM.

Mark

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:17:25 AM »

Guys,

I talked to JDK yesterday and he is sending me a new ECM, (whole other Zippers issue, LOL!!!). Anyway, he said my new ECM will have the new firmware 4.5 in it, so that tells me that they are distributing it as of now. The copy I got off another site and brought over here was given by Danny Fitz. Fitz said the ONLY reason they are not putting it up for download yet is because they are finalizing a new set of Adobe Acrobat PDF instructions to go along with it. They just didn't want to make it available without the proper manual being available to go with it. The big hold up is that everyone above the rank of Ensign went to Sturgis to hawk the product. Now I should be getting the new manual on a disc along with the 4.5 in my new ECM.

Mark

Therein lies at least part of the "support" issue with Zipper's.  It seems the entire staff, with the possible exception of a janitor or two, is constantly on the road attending rallies.  Until they hire a dedicated, full time support staff that is fully conversant with the products, support takes a back seat to "hawking the product".  Now that Zipper's is delving into electronics, as opposed to just the old mechanical stuff they used to specialize in, perhaps they should look at how the other electronics folks handle support.  Let the sales folks sell, and the support folks support.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 09:33:58 AM »

Now that Zipper's is delving into electronics, as opposed to just the old mechanical stuff they used to specialize in, perhaps they should look at how the other electronics folks handle support.  Let the sales folks sell, and the support folks support

I agree. But then again, it gives the Zippers guys a chance to get "out of the office", and "press the flesh". I hope they come out to the Love Ride, or to Vegas. I'd like to have a face to face over some of the "issues" we all have been having. It's a heck of a lot better than e-mails and phone messages.

But you're right, they need to hire people to run the shop and deal with issues while they are out of town. Maybe until they find someone full time, they could get "Volunteers", people who know the product front to back, inside and out. I could name a couple of folks from this site that could do the job. One in sales, and one in tech support.

Mark

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.