Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: X-Wedge 3-Cam!  (Read 7018 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: X-Wedge 3-Cam!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »

To create better gasket seal, the X-Wedge has five cylinder studs. Cylinders are the same front and rear.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »

Howie,
While I am a motor illeterate, it sounds like they designing something that has solved ( in theory) many complaints about current v-twins, allowed them to comply with current epa restrictions and still produce high output motors ( also may push MOCO into development of new frame unless the Revolution engine is their savior of the future!). I guess once in production reliability and longevity with tell the tale. (kind of reminds of car industry where in 70 and 80's had these epa choked engine that through redesign now have met epa restrictions but get good gas mileage and have performane enhanced numbers.)  Good article, john
Didn't mean to jump the thread before you were done, but it looks pretty cool. Did they ever say what cost will be?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:02:29 PM by otophile »
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 12:52:08 PM »

This close up shows you how efficient the combustion chamber is—there is a straight line from intake to exhaust allowing the wedge chamber to maximize performance.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 12:52:45 PM »

This cylinder shot shows you just how much material is in the cylinder liner, plus it this shows the incredible grip created between the liner and the cylinder material.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 12:53:18 PM »

The heart of the X-Wedge—three cams, driven off a dry belt. Visible in this cutaway is the geroter oil pump.

The geroter oil pump picks up at the base of the case… increased efficiency and better flow. Additionally, a case- mounted reed valve eliminates and type of rotary breather valve.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 12:53:51 PM »

X-Wedge lifters are held in place with locater pins. The lifter covers are interchangeable front to rear. With a large and small hole in the case, there is plenty of space for oil to pass back to the oil pump and air to move.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »

A comparison between an S&S T-Series lifter and the shorter X-Wedge lifter.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »

Removing the belt starts with loosening the pressure on the spring-loaded tensioner. Next, any of the top idler pulleys is removed and the tensioner is kept in a relaxed position. Now the belt can be slipped off.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »

The belt is advanced technology from Gates just for this engine. Note: the engine is a free spinning design, so if the belt should ever break, the valves will not hit the pistons or each other.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 12:56:41 PM »

Once all the bolts are out—by the way, all of the bolts used in the rocker covers, cam cover and cam plate are the same size and length to simplify assembly—the cam plate and cams lift off easily.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »

The X-Wedge uses side-by-side rods and plain bearings.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 12:57:44 PM »

The cams have flats that accommodate an open- end wrench for easy swaps in the future.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »

The Crank Position Sensor (CPS) reads off the side of the flywheel. Removing the case gives you a good look at the massive crank assembly…

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 12:59:11 PM »

To set the belt timing, pins are placed in each pulley… The belt is positioned, the idler installed and then the pins can be removed. Simple.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 01:00:27 PM »

Last one. Cool new motor! Maybe Air-Cooled V-Twins ain't dead yet! Hoist! 8)

This shot of the cylinder head and rockers makes it easy to emphasize the simplicity of the rocker cover. There is just one gasket surface to maintain and you can see it is generously wide for a solid gasket sealing area.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.