Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Stepped" Header vs Single Size Header  (Read 3439 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
"Stepped" Header vs Single Size Header
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:32:06 AM »

I am pulling my RH's off my '06 Haze this weekend, just too loud for me at cruise. Yea I know...If it's too loud you are to F*#**g old but I really enjoy my hearing anyway I purchased Basanni Power Curve TD''s for two reasons. 1. "Equal Length" Header Tubes, figuring they will make power where I really use it 2. They will let me run my choice of Slip On's which in my case will be Supertrapp super megs. The RH's are a 'Multi Step header vs ' Bassnni single  size tube. My thinking is that I will get more "useable" torque in the RPM range I spend 99% of my time riding in(2000-3500). I'd like to get some feedback from the the Exhaust Guru's here on my choice. My other choice could be the Samson "'Caliber" which is a True Dual 'Stepped " header but not equal length tube. What am I giving up???        What am I getting? Tuning with SERT & DTT.. AS always THANKS !! Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: "Stepped" Header vs Single Size Header
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:47:56 PM »

This can get complicated. Manufaturers use stepped headers to decrease reversion (exhaust gases sneaking back into your combustion chambers) which robs your engine of power. There is no single answer, my opinion is to use a matched system (headers and slipons from same manufacturer) and then get the bike tuned corectly after all your mods that affect your air fuel ratio are completed. Read up on reversion, scavenging, valve overlap, back pressure (tq vs hp) if you want to dive in further. All the stuff you read about 2 into 1 crossover headers vs TD's, stepped vs non-stepped etc etc is oversimplification. The best answer is your setup is always different from bike to bike. The air intake, ecu maps, exhaust system, Cam profile and compression all work together in your harley v twin to give you lowend tq and high end hp.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:22 PM »

Texas,

I'm interested to know about rear cylinder heat. Some folks go with True Duals to get rid of the heat on the right leg. But with the Bassani, you have that large fat Tear Drop to balance the length. I'm wondering if that extra length piping throws off as much heat as the stock cross over.

Get it tuned and keep us posted.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:40:34 AM »

I had them on another bike, and yes they do get hot. That's why I took them off. I also burned my right leg one time.  Same thing/problem with the Fatcat.  The V&H duals have been just fine for me. Very little heat, and they don't protrude out to try to burn anything. My riding buddy has the Fatcat, but he's taller than me and doesn't bother him that much, but he has burned his leg a few times wearing shorts. Of course, I tell him he's a dumbarse for wearing shorts anyway.   :nixweiss:

To me, the stepped header thing might be of importance on high performance builds where you're looking for every ounce of power available, but for everyday touring bikes, it's not a big deal.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:13:28 AM »

You might want to look at Latus motors dyno sheets on exhaust, it'll give you an idea of how the different exhaust perform.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/mbbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=108&posts=344&start=1

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »

Thanks to all that have posted so far. I installed the Basanni/Supertrapp combo last night ..So far great, has just he sound I'm looking for.. Thanks You Robert for the recomendation on the Supertrapps, Sounds like my old Big Block Shelby.. That nice muscle car sound but not obnixous. As far as the rest go , I'll start tuning this week with the T.Scan and see where we are. We'll also see about teh heat on the rear pipe, if nothing else I may pull it off and get it ceramic coated if ir becomes an issue..Greg

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »

Greg, how many discs are you using?  Closed end caps?

Robert

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »

Greg, how many discs are you using?  Closed end caps?

Robert

Closed End Cap,.. and I'll count 'em tonight right after I apologize to my neighbor for waking him up last night>>>

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »

Greg, I think you said you bought those pipes on E-Bay, and if so, you may or may not have installed the discs yourself or have any of the instructions, but be careful that screws that hold the discs in aren't too tight. If so, there won't be enough space between for gasses to escape. Also, be sure to use anti seeze are they will be a bugger to get out.

Later, Robert

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »

Greg, I think you said you bought those pipes on E-Bay, and if so, you may or may not have installed the discs yourself or have any of the instructions, but be careful that screws that hold the discs in aren't too tight. If so, there won't be enough space between for gasses to escape. Also, be sure to use anti seeze are they will be a bugger to get out.

Later, Robert

THANKS ROBERT!!>>>> May give you  a shout about that>>>Greg

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.