Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What cam to use?  (Read 2969 times)

Ridge_Runner

What cam to use?
« on: March 13, 2005, 09:02:22 AM »

My SERK is in the shop for warrenty work, cams lifters etc. I am going to go with a gear drive cam but am unsure of which cam. I want to stay close to stock with the cam. I am satisfied with my bikes performance and go not want to spend big bucks on head work   Just want to get rid of the dhain and tensioner and the problems associated with them.I would welcome any suggestions and advice. I guess the bottom line is I want the most bang for my buck when I replace the cam. What is the best choice for this without getting into any machine work???  Stage 1 kit installed and am running stock pipes with V&H ovals, S E Race tuner  

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
Re: What cam to use?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 09:19:04 AM »

Sorry to read about your problem. What kind of Dyno numbers did You get from that set up?I am thinking about going to the race tuner.
hdnut

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 09:21:01 AM »

My SERK is in the shop for warrenty work, cams lifters etc. I am going to go with a gear drive cam but am unsure of which cam. I want to stay close to stock with the cam. I am satisfied with my bikes performance and go not want to spend big bucks on head work

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Ridge_Runner

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 09:54:31 AM »

HP is 96 TQ is 98  Air temp 88 degrees when dinoed,  had 600 miles on bike. I have been told the numbers may improve as the motor loosens up.  Will post new results after bike is back together. I could have done better with a different combo of pipes and mufflers but like the looks and sound of the ovals.  

I am looking for low end/mid range TQ could care less about high HP at high RPM (Got that out of my system years ago)  

King 103 check out my reply in the SEEG section under 30000 mile cam tensioner  for what happened to my ride.  

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 11:04:44 AM »

HP is 96 TQ is 98

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 05:34:28 PM »

If your looking for low / mid range and you want to go to gear drive over tensioners I would suggest looking at the woods cam or the andrews cam.   If you stay with a 240 duration and 500 lift your going to see the lower end results.

The Woods tw6g cam is very similiar to the 211 cam from harley  coming on at approx 3500 rpm .

the tw6hg is most like the SE 251 if your looking for comparisions.  I know they are not exact, but to give you an idea of what they are like.  This one comes on early and runs till about 4600 than starts to break down

I had the 251 in ultra that i had brought up to a 103 with a stroker and with some head work it was at 109 / 117 at 10.3 to 1.

Andrews has very similiar gears as well
http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/twin_88_GEAR_DRIVE.htm

I would take a look at the 59g it will leave you at 10:1 and will run from 2400 rpm up.

Honestly if your going to change the Cam you might look at doing a small amount of porting on your heads and opening up the intake opening as well as putting in compression releases changing the springs etc it will allow you to take more advantage to the cams out there without spending a huge amount more.   You can get the heads done for around 600.00.   Woods even has compression releases that match pretty closely to our motor colors.  (just a thought)

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:21:01 PM »

Since you want a gear cam..good idea in my humble opinion..and dont want to pull the heads , you need to stay at or below .575 lift to use our stock springs. And you need a cam with numbers that will work with 9.0: compression.  the tw6hg at .590 lift wont work and it likes compression at around 10.0:1 to work it's best.  Two cams come to mind. The wood tw5g at .575 lift will make big torque numbers and will go right in. OR the 37g will work better at 9.0:1 than the tw6hg and is a bolt in also ....the torque peak will be higher than the tw5g.  OR  pull the heads just to slip in a .030 cometic gasket to bump the comp. approx .4 and go with the 37g. In any case for $12.50 have them put in the Baisley spring to bump the pressure.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.