Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: 103" COMPRESSION INCREASE  (Read 26488 times)

opee1

• You can never have too many!!
103" COMPRESSION INCREASE
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:36:42 PM »

Has anyone changed the pistons on their 103" to increase the compression. One of my local HD stealers tells me that HD makes pistons to match the low compression stock heads on my SEEG and the other dealer says that HD says the stock heads won't work with more compression. I'm trying to get the potential out of this motor and can't get the same recommendation from any two people. Any suggestions are welcome.

Opee
05' FLHTCSE2
03' FLSTS
02' FLHRSEI
01' FLSTF
00' FLHTCUI
95' FXDWG

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
Re: 103" COMPRESSION INCREASE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:32:36 PM »

Has anyone changed the pistons on their 103" to increase the compression. One of my local HD stealers tells me that HD makes pistons to match the low compression stock heads on my SEEG and the other dealer says that HD says the stock heads won't work with more compression. I'm trying to get the potential out of this motor and can't get the same recommendation from any two people. Any suggestions are welcome.

Opee

i had my heads street ported. minimal work, just cleaned up a bit.
i had heavier valve springs put in and changed over to the 251 cam.
also had the clearance between the pistons and the valves set.                                      
i think they shaved around 30,000 of an inch off.
it's like riding a different bike.
my dealer also told me not to do a piston change without either changing out the heads,or doing some major work on the heads i have.
i like the se-103 script on the heads and did not want to change them out.
i  am happy with the motor now. runs real strong.
if i wanted to get crazy, i would go with the jims120.
just my 2 cents.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Spook_103

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 12:46:24 PM »

I changed the heads to HTCC CNC heads with mathching 10.5 to one pistons and the SE258 cam.  I had the compression releases also installed.  All told, it cost somewhere north of $3500 with the Race Tuner.  The bike now runs like it should have in the first place.  Much smoother, gobs more power and that is with just the Vance and Hines slip ons.  Like Hubbard says, speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?  Spook.

opee1

• You can never have too many!!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:54:15 PM »

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to take it all the way, if I'm going to do it at all. Here's what my local HD "gear head" recommends...SE HTCC heads, HTCC 10.5:1 pistons, compression releases, race tuner, S & S gear drive with either 570G,585G, or 625G cams, SE breather kit, Fueling super oil pump, high flow lifter kit, quick install adjustable push rods, and a thunder header or propipe. All together the grand total(with my 20% discount on the parts) is $4248. Still not sure if I want to put this much money into this bike, but why swallow the elephant and choke on the tail lol. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Opee
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 12:56:06 PM by opee1 »
05' FLHTCSE2
03' FLSTS
02' FLHRSEI
01' FLSTF
00' FLHTCUI
95' FXDWG

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 12:59:53 PM »

Quote from: opee1)  but why swallow the elephant and choke on the tail lol.

Now that's funny

[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to take it all the way, if I'm going to do it at all. Here's what my local HD "gear head" recommends...SE HTCC heads, HTCC 10.5:1 pistons, compression releases, race tuner, S & S gear drive with either 570G,585G, or 625G cams, SE breather kit, Fueling super oil pump, high flow lifter kit, quick install adjustable push rods, and a thunder header or propipe. All together the grand total(with my 20% discount on the parts) is $4248. Still not sure if I want to put this much money into this bike, but why swallow the elephant and choke on the tail lol. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Opee

if you are changing out the heads, you don't need adjustable pushrods. use the perfect fit ones.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 06:09:47 PM »

OPEE: Use the S&S 585 gear drive cams and breather also you can send your heads out and have them reworked not cheap but worth it, you can do without the compression releases . If you are looking for a go fast shop that can do it e mail me and I'll give you thier number. H/D also makes a non HTCC piston for the 103 that are 10.5 to1. I would run the crane time savers and a set of crane or S&S lifters with roller rockers. You don't need the oil pump the one you have will do just fine. You will need to do something with you throttle body. Either get yours modified or call Zippers they make a 50 mm unit for your bike. I also would not use the race tuner a power commander or Zippers ECM. Also the Thunder header for sure. It sounds great and works well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:10:31 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 05:55:13 PM »

if you are changing out the heads, you don't need adjustable pushrods. use the perfect fit ones.

Yeah, 'er 'uh, kng103,
 I know things are a lot different North of the Mason/Dixon Line [smiley=oops.gif], however, I believe the gearhead's advice to opee1 holds true in all Real Estate. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Perfect-fit push-rods are for completely STOCK Engines.  There endeth the lesson. Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Skippy620

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 10:23:12 PM »

Opee1 -
Are you woking with a dealer Columbus ?
Just curious ... I'm also in the central Ohio area and interested in some mods to my 103.
Thanks

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 08:07:39 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, kng103,

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 08:14:29 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, kng103,

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 12:24:14 PM »

I'm with Hubbard, perfect fit for stock motors adjustable for any modified motors (i don't think harley makes perfect fit for anybodies cams but their own), and the gearheads in jersey recommend aluminum over chrome moly because the aluminum is more forgiving if sumthin breaks!!! oh yeah if you don't like the cam you choose with the adjustable pushrods you won't need to remove the rocker boxes to install a different one. [smiley=oops.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 02:36:28 PM »

I'm with Hubbard, perfect fit for stock motors adjustable for any modified motors (i don't think harley makes perfect fit for anybodies cams but their own), and the gearheads in jersey recommend aluminum over chrome moly because the aluminum is more forgiving if sumthin breaks!!! oh yeah if you don't like the cam you choose with the adjustable pushrods you won't need to remove the rocker boxes to install a different one. [smiley=oops.gif]

the pushrods are all the same length. it doesn't matter what or whos cam you choose.
using the adjustable pushrods only makes sense if you are not removing the heads.
this is not somthing i am making up!
ask any engine builder.
and if you are not 100% sure on the specs of your heads, they should be removed and clearances and tolerances checked.
you guy's do what you want.
i am just trying to help.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 04:11:06 PM »

the pushrods are all the same length. it doesn't matter what or whos cam you choose.
using the adjustable pushrods only makes sense if you are not removing the heads.
this is not somthing i am making up!
ask any engine builder.
and if you are not 100% sure on the specs of your heads, they should be removed and clearances and tolerances checked.
you guy's do what you want.
i am just trying to help.

Yeah, 'er 'uh, kng103,
 I usually will do what I want, and I appreciate your input in trying to help.  My replies to topics on this site are reflections of my opinion, and my opinion only, of the subject being discussed.  My Engine Builder recommended the adjustable push rods to me for the same reason O'Fender mentioned.  You are right in that the push rods for 88", 95", and 103" Engines are the same length.  Not the case with my Motor.  At any rate, chill out, kng!  Did you not take your medication, today?  No one's accusing you of making up things!  I think you're stressed out!  Maybe you need some of that stuff in the Mason Jar ol' hd2003 was talkin' about.  I bet there ain't been any of that chit north of the Mason/Dixon Line since Capone checked out!  Later--HUBBARD        
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 05:11:11 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, kng103,

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.