Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: what do you put in you're rubber?  (Read 8184 times)

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
Re: what do you put in you're rubber?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:55 AM »

Since nitrogen already makes up 78% of our regular atmosphere, completely purging all air from the tire and then filling with pure nitrogen will yield only a relatively small difference.  In street applications this small difference will only be noticeable if you measure pressure loss (at a constant temperature) over a period of months, with the pure nitrogen tire losing slightly less pressure from migration through the pores of the rubber.  Since you should be checking/adjusting tire pressure at least monthly anyway, I fail to see any advantage.  As for any handling difference on the street, that is a ludicrous claim at best.

If someone wants to give it to you free of charge, fine.  If you actually pay good money for it, then I suggest you have too much money burning a hole in your pocket and should send your excess funds to GRC care of this web site. ::)

Jerry

The US Air Force uses nitrogen in all their aircraft systems  ( Acft tires and in the accumulators for the hydraulic systems and so on) for 2 reason's. 1st pure nitrogen does not burn. 2nd Nitrogen pressure will not change as much as Air with changes in the tempertures. I have used both when i was in the service, Its like night and day. Here is a pic of the aircraft that i worked on.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:31:29 AM by cowboy7123 »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »

I'm with Jerry (GRC) on this one.  The tire doesn't know what kind of gas it's filled with.  There is nothing inert about Nitrogen.  It's less reactive than Oxygen but certainly not inert.  I believe the molecular weight is 14.  Oxygen is 16.  Both occur in our atmosphere as dimers.  Since O2 is slightly larger than N2 it's theoretical that O2 is less likely to fit through microscopic pores in the tires.  As for gas expansion and heat dissipation all gases react the same way (universal gas law PV=nRT).  it has more to do with the tire you use than the gas it's filled with.  Especially since ambient air is mostly nitrogen to begin with.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »

I'm with Jerry (GRC) on this one.  The tire doesn't know what kind of gas it's filled with.  There is nothing inert about Nitrogen.  It's less reactive than Oxygen but certainly not inert.  I believe the molecular weight is 14.  Oxygen is 16.  Both occur in our atmosphere as dimers.  Since O2 is slightly larger than N2 it's theoretical that O2 is less likely to fit through microscopic pores in the tires.  As for gas expansion and heat dissipation all gases react the same way (universal gas law PV=nRT).  it has more to do with the tire you use than the gas it's filled with.  Especially since ambient air is mostly nitrogen to begin with.

Stop it, you are making me a little randy!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »

I'm always wondering if it's myth or not to add nitrogen to tires.  One reason is I am asked by my customers to only use it when adjusting pressures in some cars and it is becoming more prevalent in the tire industry and we sell a fair number of tires.

Here's a good site to see the claimed benefits and the ins and outs of the nitrogen argument:  http://www.getnitrogen.org/

They Note:
"Nitrogen in tires is becoming a popular replacement for standard air. Nitrogen is all around us... the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses. When it comes to tire inflation, nitrogen has many advantages over oxygen. With nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures. Here at the Get Nitrogen Institute our goal is to provide consumers, over-the-road truckers, fleet managers and others information about the benefits of using nitrogen in tires."

Bottom line for me is, it can't hurt anything and may in fact help significantly.  It is certainly more important to a 4 wheeled vehicle or large trucks with lots of tires than a motorcycle.  It is also more important to folks that don't check tire pressures often.

Most riders check the bikes tire pressures regularly and with proper inflation regardless of air or nitrogen the tire wear issue is voided.

One interesting point I found running around the internet however that not many have spoken to is the moisture in air vs nitrogen and the degenerative effects of moisture on rims.  I would think with the SEEG issues on wheels that the use on nitrogen to "possibly" help keep corrosion to a minimum could be worthwhile.

Other benefits:

"Improved TPMS Performance – If you have a new car, you likely are plagued by a flashing light telling you your tire pressure is low. For example, one woman's light was going off every four to five weeks. After inflating with nitrogen, her light didn't reappear for 53 weeks!

More Predictable Pressure Fluctuation – NASCAR teams use nitrogen so they can more accurately predict tire pressure fluctuation. Regular compressed air can fluctuate considerably when water vapor is present.

Longer Rim Life – Rim rust caused by condensation from water vapor and other gases can get caught in valves and create slow leaks in tires. Nitrogen is completely dry, so it eliminates the potential for condensation. "

At the end of the day we will most likely keep doing what we are doing, but those that switch to nitrogen may see some positive effects.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:07:26 AM by Rjob749 »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »

The o2 is the culprit.. It oxidizes duh?!  Moisture also...I used to use it my race cars...I am too lazy top go find it for the bikes...

tysndys

• Full CVO Member
    • UT

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 (sold)
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 10:14:27 PM »

They Note:
"Nitrogen in tires is becoming a popular replacement for standard air. Nitrogen is all around us... the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses.

Most likely by this definition our tires are already 78% nitrogen.  Silly me I thought it was just air.
Tires just don't last long enough

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »

The US Air Force uses nitrogen in all their aircraft systems  ( Acft tires and in the accumulators for the hydraulic systems and so on) for 2 reason's. 1st pure nitrogen does not burn. 2nd Nitrogen pressure will not change as much as Air with changes in the tempertures. I have used both when i was in the service, Its like night and day. Here is a pic of the aircraft that i worked on.

Actually, there's one more reason:  Using nitogen in aviation applications inhibits the formation of corrosion.  That is of particular concern on the mating surfaces of wheel halves as well as in the aforementioned areas, pneudraulic landing gear struts and pressurized fuel systems.

Still.......I'll use filtered and dried air in my scooter tires.  Can't afford one of those nitrogen generators, and it is too much of PITA to find the stuff.....let alone the added cost.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »

Actually, there's one more reason:  Using nitogen in aviation applications inhibits the formation of corrosion.  That is of particular concern on the mating surfaces of wheel halves as well as in the aforementioned areas, pneudraulic landing gear struts and pressurized fuel systems.

Still.......I'll use filtered and dried air in my scooter tires.  Can't afford one of those nitrogen generators, and it is too much of PITA to find the stuff.....let alone the added cost.

Yup...

In my salad days I was a C5 Galaxy crew chief...Lots n lots of n2 for those 28 tires...
Expansion on landing was the other reason besides no oxidation from 21% o2 and moisture retention.

If i could find it easy I would do it...A auto dealer down here will do it foe $20 a tire.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »

My knob - well youasked for it.... :'(

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »

Smart A$$

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »

I'm SO glad you didn't admit to it being someone else's   :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

You beat me to it by 4o minutes. :2vrolijk_21:

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »

My daughters boyfriends head.  boy was he pi$$ed!  So pi$$ed in fact that he didn't come back...  I guess it worked! 8)
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »

I just realized where you are from. Good one. I didn't realize you blokes had a sense of humour! :pepper: :pepper:

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »

I just realized where you are from. Good one. I didn't realize you blokes had a sense of humour! :pepper: :pepper:

WHATTTT!!! and that from a plastic Yank  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.