Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '00 TC88B oil leak  (Read 2187 times)

2k04chuck

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
'00 TC88B oil leak
« on: April 19, 2005, 06:19:34 PM »

In the past 10K miles or so I have had a rather small but irritating oil leak from the wiring coming out of the inner primary case cover leading to the voltage regulator.  It's a small two lead rubber fitting just below the crank position indicator sensor. Has anyone else had this?  How did you deal with it?

I have an FLSTS 2000 and my wife has an FLSTC 2000.  Hers has just started doing it also.  Both bikes are about 36K miles. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: '00 TC88B oil leak
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 09:56:54 AM »

I've personally never had this issue, but this is most likely primary oil.  The two large generator stator wires feed thru the inner primary at a rubber plug.  They then then go to the voltage regulator.  I would guess that you are getting a little seepage at this plug between the wires and the outside wire covering.  I doubt that you can fix it from the outside, so.........

My suggestion is to pull the primary cover, clutch/primary chain/compensator, and then pull the rotor.  You now should be able to see the plug that seals off the wires as they exit the inner primary.  Clean as much of the oil residue as possible from the joint of the plug to the primary and the plug to the wires using contact cleaner.  Verify that the plug is seated completely in the hole in the inner primary.  There is a bit of a ridge on the plug itself that seats on the inner surface of the primary.  If this looks good, I would then add a dab of silicone adhesive around the plug and around the wires to seal it off.  Make sure that the surfaces are perfectly oil free or the silicone will not stick.  Hope this helps.

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
Re: '00 TC88B oil leak
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 11:27:11 PM »

You can't just pull the rotor.  You need to take off the primary drive components and unless you have special tools, it's not going to happen.  If it's coming through the wires and leaking into the plug, it's common.  If it's leaking around the rubber, you can try getting silicone under the plug (after cleaning it) or take the whole primary apart to reseal it.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.