Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Touring Frame High Speed Wobble, '08s????  (Read 20415 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Touring Frame High Speed Wobble, '08s????
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »

I still see lots of interest in stabilizers, Tru-Trac, T.W.R. etc.

Since MOCO moved the front stabilizer link from down to up, has this helped in the infamous rearend wobble?

I guess I ride so conservatively that I may never feel the wobble...  Usually I'm riding with the wife on the rear and we're really more site seeing cruiser style riders.

Can anyone with any touring '08 that's familiar with the problem, speak for any change in the wobble since this factory stabilizer change on the '08s?

I'm interested if I need to invest in one or not.  I saw a picture of a bike for sale that had the one that has the rubber "Y" mounting fork that hangs down below the oil pan.  I really didn't like the looks of it hanging down like that.  On the T.W.R. unit it replaces the right rear passenger footpeg and swingarm mount.  This unit is very stealthy looking, but with an '08 SERK Annie the bracket would have to be painted to match the rootbeer frame color.  So there's another expense to add to the parts list. 

Also I haven't heard through any of the threads that any painter has yet painted anything with the '08 Anniversary paint colors.  Anyone know if someone, maybe Gene, has done this yet?

Hope to hear positive reports about the '08 changes.

Thanks to all in advance.

;D ;D ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
Re: Touring Frame High Speed Wobble, '08s????
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »

I only have 480 miles on my Duracell because I picked it up this winter, but no real wobble noted so far.  I tend to drive conservatively at times, but like to push it a bit sometimes on the highway or on the back road twisties.  I've scraped the footboards on numerous occasions, and have even slid the rear wheel on a corner on rare occasion (not on purpose) with my old Road Glide,  but I haven't managed to do any of that yet with my new Duracell.

I do note pronounced buffeting from trucks if I pass at over 70mph, but that might just be a matter of getting used to the Ultra with the handlebar mounted fairing as opposed to my prior Road Glide with the frame mounted fairing.  I never even thought about cross wind, truck buffeting, etc. with my Road Glide and once drove it from Maine to Massachusetts during gale force winds.  I felt the wind on my helmet, and occasionally it tried to blow me off the seat, but the bike was not affected by the wind in the slightest.  That is not the case with my new Ultra, but I expect I will get used to the handling after a while (or learn drive slower).
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »

I only have 480 miles on my Duracell because I picked it up this winter, but no real wobble noted so far.  I tend to drive conservatively at times, but like to push it a bit sometimes on the highway or on the back road twisties.  I've scraped the footboards on numerous occasions, and have even slid the rear wheel on a corner on rare occasion (not on purpose) with my old Road Glide,  but I haven't managed to do any of that yet with my new Duracell.

I do note pronounced buffeting from trucks if I pass at over 70mph, but that might just be a matter of getting used to the Ultra with the handlebar mounted fairing as opposed to my prior Road Glide with the frame mounted fairing.  I never even thought about cross wind, truck buffeting, etc. with my Road Glide and once drove it from Maine to Massachusetts during gale force winds.  I felt the wind on my helmet, and occasionally it tried to blow me off the seat, but the bike was not affected by the wind in the slightest.  That is not the case with my new Ultra, but I expect I will get used to the handling after a while (or learn drive slower).

mega
       One of the reasons I'm a huge Road Glide fan is what you're describing above. The batwing fairing puts you in God's hands in any type of wind situation. Some people learn to deal with it. I s'pose I had before I bought my 01 SERG. Once I experienced the drift effect of the RG as opposed to the hand of God feeling, I was sold on the RG. I've gotten so used to the drift that I have solid wheels on my current RG and even in high winds it doesn't bother me. My advice in riding in situations like you're describing is to give yourself plenty of room and ride loose. If the wind is blowing left to right for instance, ride single file close to the left side of the lane. If the wind blows don't fight it; let the bike drift to the right. Fighting the wind is useless and makes you so tense you fatigued quickly which leads to more issues. Ride alert but loose and go with what mother nature gives you and you'll find yourself enjoying riding a lot more and also not having a panic attack when one of those "Strong Winds Next 12 Miles "  signs appears on the side of the highway.

B B

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

Spiderman has a good point.

I own an 06 and noticed a bad wobble when I first got the bike. I ride a couple of Electra Glides as work and had never experienced the wobble with them... but I don't ride them at highway speeds very often.

The batwing sure has a lot to do with it, but now that I've ridden the Ultra for most of the season, I know when to expect it so it's not so scary!

vagabond6542

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »

mega
       One of the reasons I'm a huge Road Glide fan is what you're describing above. The batwing fairing puts you in God's hands in any type of wind situation. Some people learn to deal with it. I s'pose I had before I bought my 01 SERG. Once I experienced the drift effect of the RG as opposed to the hand of God feeling, I was sold on the RG. I've gotten so used to the drift that I have solid wheels on my current RG and even in high winds it doesn't bother me. My advice in riding in situations like you're describing is to give yourself plenty of room and ride loose. If the wind is blowing left to right for instance, ride single file close to the left side of the lane. If the wind blows don't fight it; let the bike drift to the right. Fighting the wind is useless and makes you so tense you fatigued quickly which leads to more issues. Ride alert but loose and go with what mother nature gives you and you'll find yourself enjoying riding a lot more and also not having a panic attack when one of those "Strong Winds Next 12 Miles "  signs appears on the side of the highway.
B B

So true....oh so true.
I do a lot of highway speeds (65>?) Crosswinds are something you learn to deal on a moments notice. The SEUC2 handles well with the winds.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »

I love riding the wind, and drifting where the wind takes ya. Keep loose and go with it. Leave yourself room to drift and let it fly! I love tractor trailers pulling me in their draft too! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »

I love riding the wind, and drifting where the wind takes ya. Keep loose and go with it. Leave yourself room to drift and let it fly! I love tractor trailers pulling me in their draft too! ;)
Hoist! 8)

Howie,
         Somebody who rides all tensed up probably has never experienced this. If you ride loose like I said, it's almost like a carnival ride when you get inside the draft, feel the bike take off and notice your revs drop a couple hundred RPM's

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »

Howie,
         Somebody who rides all tensed up probably has never experienced this. If you ride loose like I said, it's almost like a carnival ride when you get inside the draft, feel the bike take off and notice your revs drop a couple hundred RPM's

B B

Hehe! Yep, that's the only time I get decent gas mileage too! ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »

Hehe! Yep, that's the only time I get decent gas mileage too! ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

Howie,
         That's gotta be one fast trucker for you to be drafting him  ;)

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »

Howie,
         That's gotta be one fast trucker for you to be drafting him  ;)

B B

On the open road, you can get behind one and have him pull you at 80+. Good when you're winding down, low on gas, or taking it easy. But if you're in the wanna make time mode, it don't work so well. ;)

Hoist! 8)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

On the open road, you can get behind one and have him pull you at 80+. Good when you're winding down, low on gas, or taking it easy. But if you're in the wanna make time mode, it don't work so well. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I think we drafted some semis coming back from Hot Springs, but only because they were in the slow lane and blocking us. :-\ :drink:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 06:28:20 PM »

Howie,

B B

Sorry B, but I'm gonna call BS on this one. No way a manual gearbox can drop revs due to a draft. Nope, not gonna happen. Maybe an auto tranny without lock-up converter, but not a manual tranny. Revs down means go slower. But then again, you already knew this and just mistyped yourself. ;D

Gotcha :huepfenlol2:

:indian_chief:

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »

I still see lots of interest in stabilizers, Tru-Trac, T.W.R. etc.

Since MOCO moved the front stabilizer link from down to up, has this helped in the infamous rearend wobble?

I guess I ride so conservatively that I may never feel the wobble...  Usually I'm riding with the wife on the rear and we're really more site seeing cruiser style riders.

Can anyone with any touring '08 that's familiar with the problem, speak for any change in the wobble since this factory stabilizer change on the '08s?

Here are my 5 cents: Living in Germany, we can legally ride faster because there is no speed limit on parts of the motorway. I had terrible wobble on my 2005 SEEG at speeds of 160km/h (100 mph) when it was windy, which was only partly resolved by adding a tru-trac and using heavy fork oil. I have now changed that bike for a 2008 SEUC and was very disappointed to have to notice the wobble at speeds starting from 140 km/h (88 mph), again when it was windy. I have added a tru-trac to this bike now as well, and the front fork baffle. The baffle worked wonders for my 2007 SERK which allows for steady speed at 180km/h (112 mph) without any issue. Obviously the SERK has no front fairing, which is part of the problem. Since the modification I could not ride the SEUC, because of bad weather with rain and snow. I hope the tru-trac will help better on this bike. I am a long distance rider and not so much the scenic tour person, and I like to use the bike how it was meant to be, riding it hard and fast. The wobble is my personal enemy. I shall be adding some comments, once I get to ride the SEUC, but it does not look good for the coming week altogether.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

Here are my 5 cents: Living in Germany, we can legally ride faster because there is no speed limit on parts of the motorway. I had terrible wobble on my 2005 SEEG at speeds of 160km/h (100 mph) when it was windy, which was only partly resolved by adding a tru-trac and using heavy fork oil. I have now changed that bike for a 2008 SEUC and was very disappointed to have to notice the wobble at speeds starting from 140 km/h (88 mph), again when it was windy. I have added a tru-trac to this bike now as well, and the front fork baffle. The baffle worked wonders for my 2007 SERK which allows for steady speed at 180km/h (112 mph) without any issue. Obviously the SERK has no front fairing, which is part of the problem. Since the modification I could not ride the SEUC, because of bad weather with rain and snow. I hope the tru-trac will help better on this bike. I am a long distance rider and not so much the scenic tour person, and I like to use the bike how it was meant to be, riding it hard and fast. The wobble is my personal enemy. I shall be adding some comments, once I get to ride the SEUC, but it does not look good for the coming week altogether.

Ride safely,
Louis

Louis

Let us know how it works. You sound like our kind of rider.

I am a long distance rider and not so much the scenic tour person, and I like to use the bike how it was meant to be, riding it hard and fast.

Good luck!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 10:05:30 PM »

Sorry B, but I'm gonna call BS on this one. No way a manual gearbox can drop revs due to a draft. Nope, not gonna happen. Maybe an auto tranny without lock-up converter, but not a manual tranny. Revs down means go slower. But then again, you already knew this and just mistyped yourself. ;D

Gotcha :huepfenlol2:

:indian_chief:

Mine drops lotsa revs when I'm drafting them. I get on the bumper, pull my clutch in, and let them tow me. When I start breaking the draft, I let the clutch out, catch the draft again, and pull the clutch in again. Better be paying real good attention when doing this. TT air brakes stop real well! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.