Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 103 motor info. & build help  (Read 11850 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 103 motor info. & build help
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »

I've been there a couple of times and I don't have any confidence in there service dept. I even talked to them about doing a build and they had me all confused. I don't think that they are what they use to be.
I am going to go to Woodstock HD in woodstock,il or go north to Kutters HD in janesville,wi. The guy on here sirmichael113 has spoke highly of woodstock HD and had his motor stuff done there and seemed to be happy with the work they did for him, so I will probably go there to see what they have to say about doing this for me.

I have never had any work done at Woodstock HD, but a few of my friends have.  They've got a good reputation for motor and dyno work....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »

Bubba_T's motor is done. The dyno sheet is 116 Ftlbs of Torque and 110 HP. The TQ comes on at about 2500 RPM's and peaks at about 3750 continuing on a mostly flat line to 5,200 where as with all motors it drops off. the HP peaks at just about redline or 6,200. This motor has CVO 103 heads ported and polished by Dave Mackie. 103 cylinders with Mackie's custom machined semi-domed pistons running about 10.5 / 1 compression. Mackie DM598G cams. Fueling oil pump, lifters, cylinder studs. SE Adjustable pushrods. S&S gear drive kit and all eutectic gaskets. A stock throttle body was bored out to 49mm by BC Gerolami and it is running a Gerolamy air cleaner on a Screamin Eagle breather. Bassani True-dual headpipes and mufflers. All wrapped up with a Power Commander.I was extremely skeptical of the dyno numbers after riding it This bike is VERY IMPRESSIVE to ride. It is smooth from idle to WFO and at 3200 it takes off like it's hooked up with nitros. While it wouldn't beat my 05 SEVROD, it is fast - - - damn fast. The dyno run on the sheet is listed as #6  of some 20 runs made. Bubba wanted the bike back and who knows what the dyno shop gave him for paperwork. C'est la vie, as I've said before dyno sheets are for sitting in bars and running your mouth beyond what the tell the tuner. This bike runs STRONG, very strong. My 103 is 108TQ an 103-104HP and there's no way I'm gonna be within a 100 yds of Bubba stop light to stop light. Cost to take Bubba_T's stock 03 SERK and turn into what he has now was not cheap. $6k total. Is it worth it ? Absolutely. I spent very close to this on my 103 build trying to use all H-D parts to keep my warranty intact. (so I was told at the time) My warranty as noted on another thread is now void and I don't have anywhere near what Bubba's got for a motor, so yeah, if I had it to do over , for sure I'd go this route. Twolane has a very similar Dave Mackie set-up with a bit more displacement, bigger heads, a two into one system and a bigger throttle body. He's in the upper 120's somewhere on both numbers.

Now before 100 people post how so and so and such and such parts produce way more this and that, let me say this. Dave Mackie and I have worked together on several Hi-Po motors I've had in bikes. One, built in 1995 is still out on the street with only a fresh valve job after about 20,000 hard miles. Another is in a chopper somewhere running strong after who knows how many miles. And that's the bottom line with Dave Mackie Engineering. Good solid perforamance for the street and rock solid reliability. Can't beat that

B  B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »

Bubba_T's motor is done. The dyno sheet is 116 Ftlbs of Torque and 110 HP. The TQ comes on at about 2500 RPM's and peaks at about 3750 continuing on a mostly flat line to 5,200 where as with all motors it drops off. the HP peaks at just about redline or 6,200. This motor has CVO 103 heads ported and polished by Dave Mackie. 103 cylinders with Mackie's custom machined semi-domed pistons running about 10.5 / 1 compression. Mackie DM598G cams. Fueling oil pump, lifters, cylinder studs. SE Adjustable pushrods. S&S gear drive kit and all eutectic gaskets. A stock throttle body was bored out to 49mm by BC Gerolami and it is running a Gerolamy air cleaner on a Screamin Eagle breather. Bassani True-dual headpipes and mufflers. All wrapped up with a Power Commander.I was extremely skeptical of the dyno numbers after riding it This bike is VERY IMPRESSIVE to ride. It is smooth from idle to WFO and at 3200 it takes off like it's hooked up with nitros. While it wouldn't beat my 05 SEVROD, it is fast - - - damn fast. The dyno run on the sheet is listed as #6  of some 20 runs made. Bubba wanted the bike back and who knows what the dyno shop gave him for paperwork. C'est la vie, as I've said before dyno sheets are for sitting in bars and running your mouth beyond what the tell the tuner. This bike runs STRONG, very strong. My 103 is 108TQ an 103-104HP and there's no way I'm gonna be within a 100 yds of Bubba stop light to stop light. Cost to take Bubba_T's stock 03 SERK and turn into what he has now was not cheap. $6k total. Is it worth it ? Absolutely. I spent very close to this on my 103 build trying to use all H-D parts to keep my warranty intact. (so I was told at the time) My warranty as noted on another thread is now void and I don't have anywhere near what Bubba's got for a motor, so yeah, if I had it to do over , for sure I'd go this route. Twolane has a very similar Dave Mackie set-up with a bit more displacement, bigger heads, a two into one system and a bigger throttle body. He's in the upper 120's somewhere on both numbers.

Now before 100 people post how so and so and such and such parts produce way more this and that, let me say this. Dave Mackie and I have worked together on several Hi-Po motors I've had in bikes. One, built in 1995 is still out on the street with only a fresh valve job after about 20,000 hard miles. Another is in a chopper somewhere running strong after who knows how many miles. And that's the bottom line with Dave Mackie Engineering. Good solid perforamance for the street and rock solid reliability. Can't beat that

B  B

That's a great result for Bubba...  Sounds like all that is left to do is to ride the hell out of it....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »

That's great news Brian.  Just great to read of it turning out as well as you guys hoped.  Hope he is very very pleased.  That's got to be a blast to ride. 

Of course it is part of the much larger package.  But assuming you're surrounding it with the parts to take proper advantage of it I am fast becoming a very big fan of that Mackie 598 cam.  Early in and strong.  Tell Ken I said congrats on getting her done and getting it dialed in.  Great to see this one come to such a great end :2vrolijk_21: .

2Wheel120

• No Work, No House, No Ride!!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »

I agree, the numbers are not the most important thing for me, plus all dynos are not the same, it was just something to base it off of. I know it may not be the best running 103 motor, but i do not want to spend a fortune either, so it will be good enough. I have thought about the 2-1 exhaust, but I just don't know if I would like that or not.

thanks for the information on dave mackie, I talked to him a couple of times, he was nice enough to talk with me and spent alittle time going over exactly what I need, that was cool. He didn't try to talk me into going crazy on the build.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »

PS
   Of note is that the Bassani system does not pop on decel. Nope, nyet, nada, uh uh. Not a bit. That's cool

B B
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.