Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Another 110 bites the dust  (Read 5861 times)

SPW

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
Another 110 bites the dust
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »

I have the same problems as every body else with MY 07 SERK ..at the 5,000 mile service they replaced the automatic compresion release.Last week i noticed a bad vibration and when i checked i found the rear cylinder was leaking oil .Took it back to the dealer and they ordered new head gaskets,I asked about the vibration and they told me it was the handlebar mounts, hard rubber in the foot boards and then maybe a loose exhaust .
   I told them about crank runout problem people are having and they said it is not likely.I asked the to check the runout and i would pay for the labour and as expected there was a problem ,the told me the runout was 32.5 which is way over .So the parts are ordered and will be in Thursday.The guys at my local dealership in National city are great guys and very helpfull
  I just hope Harley find a permant fix for the problem ,I have a 7 year warranty so i will just take it back every time i have a problem i still love my bike and am looking forward to some great rides

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
Re: Another 110 bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:53 PM »

I have the same problems as every body else with MY 07 SERK ..at the 5,000 mile service they replaced the automatic compresion release.Last week i noticed a bad vibration and when i checked i found the rear cylinder was leaking oil .Took it back to the dealer and they ordered new head gaskets,I asked about the vibration and they told me it was the handlebar mounts, hard rubber in the foot boards and then maybe a loose exhaust .
   I told them about crank runout problem people are having and they said it is not likely.I asked the to check the runout and i would pay for the labour and as expected there was a problem ,the told me the runout was 32.5 which is way over .So the parts are ordered and will be in Thursday.The guys at my local dealership in National city are great guys and very helpfull
  I just hope Harley find a permant fix for the problem ,I have a 7 year warranty so i will just take it back every time i have a problem i still love my bike and am looking forward to some great rides

Right on and I love your attitude-I'm with you!
Ride Safe :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »

SPW,
Welcome to the site.  You might want to go and introduce yourself to everyone in the New Members thread.  I'm a little miffed at what "parts" they ordered when they found your crank run-out was way out of specs.  The only "part" they should be ordering is a new engine.  If they are going to split the cases and put a new crank in, have them weld it and true it and go with the Timken bearing.  Might as well get it right if that's what they're going to do.  But I'd be surprised if they go that route.  Previous owners that have had crank run-out problems have had their engines replaced.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:59 PM »

Make sure the paperwork you get on warranty service spells out in detail what was done. Some of these dealers say as little as possible on the work order they give you when you pick up the bike so as to avoid lemon law claims

B B

SPW

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »

SPW,
Welcome to the site.  You might want to go and introduce yourself to everyone in the New Members thread.  I'm a little miffed at what "parts" they ordered when they found your crank run-out was way out of specs.  The only "part" they should be ordering is a new engine.  If they are going to split the cases and put a new crank in, have them weld it and true it and go with the Timken bearing.  Might as well get it right if that's what they're going to do.  But I'd be surprised if they go that route.  Previous owners that have had crank run-out problems have had their engines replaced.

:devil:
Thanks for the info will check on which parts tomorow how did the other owners get there engines replaced

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:07:49 AM »

MOCO will NOT authorize a repair on a motor with a runout issue. This is what I was told by my dealer when my engine had to be replaced. I had it in two days after it was hand built and stamped with my vin #. No problems since !!!! KNOCK ON WOOD

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »

This by far the largest number I have ever seen or heard of. I hope you get a new motor and  I am sure you will. You will be on the road a lot quicker that way.

Good luck on the repairs,

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:55:33 AM »

Someone did post .076" early on. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:20:47 AM »

I never saw that one. This is crazy. How can HD let things like this go out on the street?????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:48:29 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 08:36:03 AM »

I'm not certain that complete engine replacement is still the MoCo's only repair option.  In fact I'm quite certain that at least one person reported having just the crankshaft replaced by his dealer.

If you prefer a complete engine versus a dealer repair, I would suggest that you let your dealer know that you will be contacting the MoCo to request a full replacement, enlist his support, and then call the MoCo direct.  As for which method, replacement or repair, would be the best way to go, that is a crap shoot.  If your dealer has a really good engine tech who can be trusted to do things right, it might be better in the long run to let him rebuild the engine with a new crank that they send out to be trued and welded.  You would have to pay for that, since the MoCo won't, but it would be well worth the cost IMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPW

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »

Thanks will contact the Dealer and  Tech Support  ,The dealer told me tech support r sending a new crank and oil pump
    Steve

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:27:58 AM »

Thanks will contact the Dealer and  Tech Support  ,The dealer told me tech support r sending a new crank and oil pump
    Steve

WOW !!! I cannot believe they would even consider this an option. Keep us updated as to what they do. I am really curious.

sedyna

• Ride it like you stole it
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »

mines in the shop with the same problem as we speak... oil pump failed. they checked the crank runout and she was out.. took out the oil pump. the dealer didnt want to get a new engine, they said it could be built better than the factory did.... i have a new crank and oil pump. Im sending the new crank out thanks to advice from guys on the site... www.darkhorsecrankworks.com 

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »

They replaced the crank in my bike last fall. They did check the runout on the new crank too and it was a little under .001". It was nice to know that this crank was fairly good -at least to start with. With a new motor it's hard to tell what the initial runout might be. I asked about welding and Timken, but they said those would void the w.....ty. Guess sooner or later I'm going to have to follow the trail that Hoist has blazed!  8)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »

They replaced the crank in my bike last fall. They did check the runout on the new crank too and it was a little under .001". It was nice to know that this crank was fairly good -at least to start with. With a new motor it's hard to tell what the initial runout might be. I asked about welding and Timken, but they said those would void the w.....ty. Guess sooner or later I'm going to have to follow the trail that Hoist has blazed!  8)

After all, it ain't rocket science! ;)

Good luck with this motor bb! You might be fine! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.