Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Another 110 bites the dust  (Read 5857 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Another 110 bites the dust
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »

They replaced the crank in my bike last fall. They did check the runout on the new crank too and it was a little under .001". It was nice to know that this crank was fairly good -at least to start with. With a new motor it's hard to tell what the initial runout might be. I asked about welding and Timken, but they said those would void the w.....ty. Guess sooner or later I'm going to have to follow the trail that Hoist has blazed!  8)

I can see them not wanting to pay for the welding and Timkens bearing upgrade under warranty - but it is hard to understand how this could void your warranty...   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPW

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »

Cantacted Harley today they said it is at there discresion weather they  send a new motor or parts.  They r sending crankshaft fly wheel kit,oil pump and new head gasket .So looks like i don't have a choice.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 11:01:40 PM »

Cantacted Harley today they said it is at there discresion weather they  send a new motor or parts.  They r sending crankshaft fly wheel kit,oil pump and new head gasket .So looks like i don't have a choice.

Have them look close at your camplate....  If your crank had bad runout, and your oil pump was damaged, you need to make sure your camplate was not damaged...  I assume the inspected your cylinders for liner movement?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPW

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 12:17:42 AM »

Yep forgot they r sending a cam plate .They checked the cylinders and heads said they were fine .What they did tell me at Harley was that it depended on the expertize of the mechanic at the dealer ,weather they send a new motor or get the mechanic to rebuild the motor
Steve

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »

Yep forgot they r sending a cam plate .They checked the cylinders and heads said they were fine .What they did tell me at Harley was that it depended on the expertize of the mechanic at the dealer ,weather they send a new motor or get the mechanic to rebuild the motor
Steve
A decision made over the phone by the same people who are still producing an engine that needs to be regularly replaced like the oil.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 09:02:06 AM »

I seriously doubt that H-D makes a decision to repair or replace based upon the expertise of the dealership technician.  Number one, they have no clue who will be actually doing the repair.  It's a monetary consideration, and the manufacturer holds the right to make the repair versus replace decision. 

The initial failures were handled as a full engine exchange mainly because they wanted the engines back for complete teardown analysis, to determine the root cause of the failure.  This is common in the automotive world as well as with motorcycles, whenever new models or major changes to existing models are introduced.  The sad part with the 110's is that even after replacing a pile of engines, they haven't used that information to fix the problems or identify production dates of suspect engines so they could notify affected owners.  They persist in taking the low road, just letting customers deal with failures as opposed to a notification/inspection/repair program to prevent failures. 

If the dealership tech is conscientious and not just knocking it out as quickly as possible to make more $$$, you will probably end up with a better engine than what H-D would have sent anyway.  Make sure the dealer fully documents everything, and that you get detailed copies.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »

I seriously doubt that H-D makes a decision to repair or replace based upon the expertise of the dealership technician.  Number one, they have no clue who will be actually doing the repair.  It's a monetary consideration, and the manufacturer holds the right to make the repair versus replace decision. 

The initial failures were handled as a full engine exchange mainly because they wanted the engines back for complete teardown analysis, to determine the root cause of the failure.  This is common in the automotive world as well as with motorcycles, whenever new models or major changes to existing models are introduced.  The sad part with the 110's is that even after replacing a pile of engines, they haven't used that information to fix the problems or identify production dates of suspect engines so they could notify affected owners.  They persist in taking the low road, just letting customers deal with failures as opposed to a notification/inspection/repair program to prevent failures. 

If the dealership tech is conscientious and not just knocking it out as quickly as possible to make more $$$, you will probably end up with a better engine than what H-D would have sent anyway.  Make sure the dealer fully documents everything, and that you get detailed copies.
Jerry
Wonder how to accomplish this.  If I'm paying the bill every little thing is itemized and priced.  But when I've gotten the no charge invoice for repair of head gasket leaks, cylinder replacement and even the engine replacement it does not seem to have been complete.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »

My paperwork from leaks, motor, tranny, etc are almost useless.  in June 07 I went in for the tranny leak.  The repair order stayed open until October so the mileage is the same for everything.  I had to beg to get this at all.  It's like they try to hide it. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SPW

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »

Went to the dealers all my parts r in should have it back tomorrow evening
Steve

SPW

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »

Just got my bike back from Sweetwater Harley seems to b running great .They overnighted the parts then 2 days to Resemble the engine The dealership gave great service  Steve

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »

Just got my bike back from Sweetwater Harley seems to b running great .They overnighted the parts then 2 days to Resemble the engine The dealership gave great service  Steve

Sounds great SPW!!  Glad to see you got fast responsive service from your dealership.  :)  Keep us informed as to how the fix holds up.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mspeedbishop

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »

hello folks

looks like i join the ranks of this problem as well - have an 07 110 street glide,  15k miles -problem began about 1 or 2 k ago this spring,  - basically stock HD but with zippers thundermax ECU - drops oil pressure after ~40 miles and gains heat FAST - and runs like dirt after that until I have to stop.... - I want to force the dealer into a crank runout measurement but don't know what is a good or bad number - what IS the healthy range?   and can I substantiate that and how (e.g. this Harley-blessed manual sez this is the spec) ?

zippers sez its the crank - i know my tunes are good - nothing leaner than 13.310 AFR
dealer sez - "really? - never heard of THAT"
feelin very screwed at this point in time - they may come thru yet I guess - working it - let me know on the spec please - and THANK YOU

MSB

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »

hello folks

looks like i join the ranks of this problem as well - have an 07 110 street glide,  15k miles -problem began about 1 or 2 k ago this spring,  - basically stock HD but with zippers thundermax ECU - drops oil pressure after ~40 miles and gains heat FAST - and runs like dirt after that until I have to stop.... - I want to force the dealer into a crank runout measurement but don't know what is a good or bad number - what IS the healthy range?   and can I substantiate that and how (e.g. this Harley-blessed manual sez this is the spec) ?

zippers sez its the crank - i know my tunes are good - nothing leaner than 13.310 AFR
feelin very screwed at this point in time - they may come thru yet I guess - working it - let me know on the spec please - and THANK YOU

MSB
MSB,
Sorry to hear you are having problems w/your bike. Can't answer your run out spec question (somebody will soon), but I wanted to welcome you to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: When you get a chance you should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »

Does anyone have a count of 110's that have crapped out or had to have a major service among site members ?  Also, as a percentage of site members who own 110's, what is that number.

B B

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »

hello folks

MSB

BE a really good idea to pull the TMAX off, before you go in..If they are looking for a reason to deny the claim....They could have just found it>> CYA on this i..Good Luck....Greg.
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.