Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Oil Temperature Dipstick  (Read 12889 times)

Hotmetal2

• Junior CVO Member
  • Ride, Ride and Ride
Oil Temperature Dipstick
« on: May 06, 2005, 06:16:24 PM »

Is there someone who knows what is the HD part no. for the Oil Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout for the SEEG05 103?

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
Re: Oil Temperature Dipstick
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »

The dipstick is junk! [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] I've had 3 now and they either fall apart or the batteries die. Plus they are a pain in the butt to remove at times. Not to mention you can't get close to them when hot to check the temperature or oil level anyway........... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Just putting in my .02 cents............... [smiley=furious.gif]

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 01:51:33 PM »

Hate to disagree but I do.  Had one on my 99 Superglide for 14,000 trouble free miles and never changed a battery.  Put one on my FLHRSEI2 last year and it’s still good to go.  A possible up side might be the positive ball locking mechanism.  I have read posts about dip sticks blowing out.  This one must be turned counterclockwise to unlock the balls from the groove in the filler neck which might prevent blow out of the dipstick.
dkm

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 03:38:07 PM »

This one must be turned counterclockwise to unlock the balls from the groove in the filler neck

Odd how these things work sometimes.  Upon reading the above my legs crossed entirely involuntarily.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 03:48:12 PM »

I am using one for about 8 months with no problems [smiley=beerchug.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 08:30:45 PM »

Funny how these things get their share of bad press, but I've had the same one on two different bikes for the past two years now and no problems whatsoever.  If it was gonna blow out, it would have doing ~120 on two or three different occasions a couple weeks ago. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Ridge_Runner

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:55:26 PM »

Had to replace the first one. Parts guy told me they came up with a new and improved version. The MO CO warrentied it out ... no problems with the replacement. In my most humble opinion  I would go for it

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »

I have had one on my SERK for 37,000 miles now with only one problem. I forgot to remove the dipstick before removing the drain plug when changing the oil. I pulled the chrome cover off getting it out of there. I fixed it easy with some high temp gasket sealer.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 09:42:10 AM »

mine leaks a little from the o-ring. drips down the oil filler cover.
it sucks. maybe i can find a new o ring for it.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 11:54:23 AM »

I have had one on my SERK for 37,000 miles now with only one problem. I forgot to remove the dipstick before removing the drain plug when changing the oil. I pulled the chrome cover off getting it out of there. I fixed it easy with some high temp gasket sealer.

That's interesting.  I guess you're saying that was on account of pressure in the crankcase?  I always start the oil draining first and then remove the dipstick.  Leaving the dipstick in prevents the oil from gushing out all at once when the plug comes out.  Mabe the difference is, I remove the dipstick as the oil is draining?

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 01:13:06 PM »

on May 13th, 2005, 6:10pm, mackcr wrote:I have had one on my SERK for 37,000 miles now with only one problem. I forgot to remove the dipstick before removing the drain plug when changing the oil. I pulled the chrome cover off getting it out of there. I fixed it easy with some high temp gasket sealer.  

That's interesting.  I guess you're saying that was on account of pressure in the crankcase?  I always start the oil draining first and then remove the dipstick.  Leaving the dipstick in prevents the oil from gushing out all at once when the plug comes out.  Mabe the difference is, I remove the dipstick as the oil is draining?  

I'm thinkin' maybe it formed a vacuum as the oil drained?  (But it seems like it should have released the vacuum once the oil was gone and no longer pulling at the drian plug.. ) I dunno!

What I would like is an analog temp gauge for the dip stick so I can actually read it while I'm riding...  The digital doesn't do a thing for me after I stop, hit the button, squint for a minute, hunt oaround for a while for my specs, get on the reading glasses, hit the button again...   Anybody seen one of those analog gauges that'll fit the dresser?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 01:13:50 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 06:42:07 AM »

Sounds like a cool item. But I will spend my money on something else! [smiley=laugh.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 10:34:18 PM »

I have had mine like 4 years and only had to replace the battery. Works great.

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 03:41:16 AM »

I just bought one recently and love it. My bike seems to run around 220* most of the time. The only problem I worry about is wearing out the battery from pressing it so many times. [smiley=laugh.gif]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.