Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Oil Temperature Dipstick  (Read 12844 times)

Hotmetal2

• Junior CVO Member
  • Ride, Ride and Ride
Oil Temperature Dipstick
« on: May 06, 2005, 06:16:24 PM »

Is there someone who knows what is the HD part no. for the Oil Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout for the SEEG05 103?

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
Re: Oil Temperature Dipstick
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »

The dipstick is junk! [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] I've had 3 now and they either fall apart or the batteries die. Plus they are a pain in the butt to remove at times. Not to mention you can't get close to them when hot to check the temperature or oil level anyway........... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Just putting in my .02 cents............... [smiley=furious.gif]

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 01:51:33 PM »

Hate to disagree but I do.  Had one on my 99 Superglide for 14,000 trouble free miles and never changed a battery.  Put one on my FLHRSEI2 last year and it’s still good to go.  A possible up side might be the positive ball locking mechanism.  I have read posts about dip sticks blowing out.  This one must be turned counterclockwise to unlock the balls from the groove in the filler neck which might prevent blow out of the dipstick.
dkm

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 03:38:07 PM »

This one must be turned counterclockwise to unlock the balls from the groove in the filler neck

Odd how these things work sometimes.  Upon reading the above my legs crossed entirely involuntarily.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 03:48:12 PM »

I am using one for about 8 months with no problems [smiley=beerchug.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 08:30:45 PM »

Funny how these things get their share of bad press, but I've had the same one on two different bikes for the past two years now and no problems whatsoever.  If it was gonna blow out, it would have doing ~120 on two or three different occasions a couple weeks ago. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Ridge_Runner

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:55:26 PM »

Had to replace the first one. Parts guy told me they came up with a new and improved version. The MO CO warrentied it out ... no problems with the replacement. In my most humble opinion  I would go for it

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »

I have had one on my SERK for 37,000 miles now with only one problem. I forgot to remove the dipstick before removing the drain plug when changing the oil. I pulled the chrome cover off getting it out of there. I fixed it easy with some high temp gasket sealer.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 09:42:10 AM »

mine leaks a little from the o-ring. drips down the oil filler cover.
it sucks. maybe i can find a new o ring for it.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 11:54:23 AM »

I have had one on my SERK for 37,000 miles now with only one problem. I forgot to remove the dipstick before removing the drain plug when changing the oil. I pulled the chrome cover off getting it out of there. I fixed it easy with some high temp gasket sealer.

That's interesting.  I guess you're saying that was on account of pressure in the crankcase?  I always start the oil draining first and then remove the dipstick.  Leaving the dipstick in prevents the oil from gushing out all at once when the plug comes out.  Mabe the difference is, I remove the dipstick as the oil is draining?

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 01:13:06 PM »

on May 13th, 2005, 6:10pm, mackcr wrote:I have had one on my SERK for 37,000 miles now with only one problem. I forgot to remove the dipstick before removing the drain plug when changing the oil. I pulled the chrome cover off getting it out of there. I fixed it easy with some high temp gasket sealer.  

That's interesting.  I guess you're saying that was on account of pressure in the crankcase?  I always start the oil draining first and then remove the dipstick.  Leaving the dipstick in prevents the oil from gushing out all at once when the plug comes out.  Mabe the difference is, I remove the dipstick as the oil is draining?  

I'm thinkin' maybe it formed a vacuum as the oil drained?  (But it seems like it should have released the vacuum once the oil was gone and no longer pulling at the drian plug.. ) I dunno!

What I would like is an analog temp gauge for the dip stick so I can actually read it while I'm riding...  The digital doesn't do a thing for me after I stop, hit the button, squint for a minute, hunt oaround for a while for my specs, get on the reading glasses, hit the button again...   Anybody seen one of those analog gauges that'll fit the dresser?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 01:13:50 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 06:42:07 AM »

Sounds like a cool item. But I will spend my money on something else! [smiley=laugh.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 10:34:18 PM »

I have had mine like 4 years and only had to replace the battery. Works great.

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 03:41:16 AM »

I just bought one recently and love it. My bike seems to run around 220* most of the time. The only problem I worry about is wearing out the battery from pressing it so many times. [smiley=laugh.gif]

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 12:29:49 PM »

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 12:30:16 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 12:36:11 PM »

Does this dip stick fit the cover that comes stock on the '05 SEEG?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Yep; I've got one one mine, no problems since October of 04'

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 01:03:43 PM »

I've had mine now for a couple of months and it seems to work fine.  That is, once I actually read the label and turned it counter clockwise to release the balls.  

I'm not sure that it is all that accurate as a buddy has one and his is consistently 5-7 degrees lower than mine when the bikes are dead cold in the morning.  

As far as the usefullness....well, I keep an eye on the temperature but ride it anyway.  So I'm not sure what it does for me (other than to give me something to worry about).

TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 04:55:43 PM »

I have one installed on my bike and temperature runs around 220 - 228 on really hot days. I still have my lowers on, with a Stage One done on my bike (Rhinehart Duals, SE Breather, and SE Race Tuner) I would be interested in what temperatures (if known) of bikes that have had more hi-performance work done are running? I'm thinking about doing some motor work this winter (HTCC Pistons, HTCC Heads, and SE 264 Cams or equivalent of), but am concerned about kicking compression ratio up to 10:5/1 and worrying about pre-detonation due to heat (if I leave lowers on, which I prefer). If anybody could elaborate on the following it would be appreciated...

[list bull-blackball]
  • Still have lowers attached.

[list bull-blackball]
  • Live in a climate close to what I am (Central Virginia) High heat (90+), and high humidity.

[list bull-blackball]
  • Average temperature you are running in July/August.

[list bull-blackball]
  • And have similar motor work done that I have mentioned above.

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 09:19:27 PM »

220 is the normal operating temp

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 11:17:50 AM »

In the cold north, I regularly run around 200 degrees.  Several weeks ago, on my trip the the Blue Ridge, I recorded a high of 239 while stopped in traffic in southern Ohio with the outside temps running near 100 degrees.
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 01:14:34 AM »

mine leaks a little from the o-ring. drips down the oil filler cover.
it sucks. maybe i can find a new o ring for it.

H-D makes a service kit i beleive.  Did you check the instruction sheet?
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

CO-Scream

• Shouldn't I be riding?
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2005, 02:12:31 PM »

Personally, I was never too impressed with the digital dipstick.  (For the record I have a 2000 SERG) I purchased the Digital Dipstick in 2002, the battery failed in 2003. I purchased a new battery.  I had always had a problem getting it to release with the counter-clockwise turn to check my oil level.  Friday, my oil light started to flicker on the way to work, I still had about 30lbs of pressure on the gauge but felt a quick check of my oil level would make me fell better.  Pulled over to the side of the road, turn the top counter-clockwise and proceeded to pull the entire top assemble off.  I am not THAT strong.  A few curse words followed.  Long story short; had a short in my wiring (light flicker) and am going back to the old dipstick.

Take care,

Myk

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 04:54:35 PM »

Anyone here of an update on the spun face oil temp guage from HD?  I was certainly hoping for one soon.  JP
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2005, 05:10:48 PM »

Personally, I was never too impressed with the digital dipstick.  (For the record I have a 2000 SERG) I purchased the Digital Dipstick in 2002, the battery failed in 2003. I purchased a new battery.  I had always had a problem getting it to release with the counter-clockwise turn to check my oil level.  Friday, my oil light started to flicker on the way to work, I still had about 30lbs of pressure on the gauge but felt a quick check of my oil level would make me fell better.  Pulled over to the side of the road, turn the top counter-clockwise and proceeded to pull the entire top assemble off.  I am not THAT strong.  A few curse words followed.  Long story short; had a short in my wiring (light flicker) and am going back to the old dipstick.

Take care,

Myk

Good move to send it to the trash can.  HD doesn't like it either as they discontinued it for this year due to an inordinate amount of returns.  Biggest problem...you guessed it...the whole top comes off in your hand.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 10:11:29 PM »

Good move to send it to the trash can.  HD doesn't like it either as they discontinued it for this year due to an inordinate amount of returns.  Biggest problem...you guessed it...the whole top comes off in your hand.

Nice guys.  The least they could've done is give us a spun aluminum oil tem gauge for the dash in return. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2005, 09:07:42 AM »

Good move to send it to the trash can.  [bgcolor=Yellow]HD doesn't like it either as they discontinued it for this year due to an inordinate amount of returns.[/bgcolor]  Biggest problem...you guessed it...the whole top comes off in your hand.

I was just looking at P/A Book for 2006, and on page 443 they still have the "Oil Temperature Dipstick w/Lighted LCD Readout"  P/N 62937-00D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
[smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Geezer 1941

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 12:02:15 PM »

I had one, and found that I could not read it with Polaroid sunglasses on in the bright sunlight, and it also kept getting moisture in it.  I went back to the old ANALOG type temp gauge and you can just glance down at it while waiting for a light.  Sometimes too much technology is a bad thing.

Geezer 1941

Re: Oil Temperature Deposits
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 12:14:25 PM »

other than to give me something to worry about).

That's so true, my first bike was a used 1958 HD RoadKing Panhead, with side shift.  I bought it in 1960, and put 80,000 miles on it before selling it to a buddy for $400.  I never worried about oil temp.  I might have even used automobile oil in the damn thing if it was 20-50. God only knows what I used in the gearbox and chaincase.  It made really scary lifter sounds, and vibrated enough to make your teeth chatter, and it leaked like a sieve, and I never worried about it getting overheated I just ran it day and night.  BUT it never failed me.   Now we worry about oil temperature, the oil blends we used in the 3 holes, the electronics, the belts, and we even carry a tire repair kit with us, if the bike makes a noise that is imperceptible to someone else, our nerves are shot, if there is one dull spot on the paint that you missed when you waxed it, your day is ruined, if the whitewall has a mark on it, we stop whatever we are doing and wash the bike, even if it means that we have to give up riding for the day.

Most guys will never ride enough to wear out a bike, but we sure love to baby them to death.

No wonder we end up getting high blood pressure, heart problems, and shingles.

The bottom line is, if we were in a major accident, and were just barely conscious, the first thing we would think about was how bad the BIKE was hurt.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:16:09 PM by Geezerf »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2005, 12:28:46 PM »

other than to give me something to worry about).

That's so true, my first bike was a used 1958 HD RoadKing Panhead, with side shift.  I bought it in 1960, and put 80,000 miles on it before selling it to a buddy for $400.  I never worried about oil temp.  I might have even used automobile oil in the damn thing if it was 20-50. God only knows what I used in the gearbox and chaincase.  It made really scary lifter sounds, and vibrated enough to make your teeth chatter, and it leaked like a sieve, and I never worried about it getting overheated I just ran it day and night.  BUT it never failed me.   Now we worry about oil temperature, the oil blends we used in the 3 holes, the electronics, the belts, and we even carry a tire repair kit with us, if the bike makes a noise that is imperceptible to someone else, our nerves are shot, if there is one dull spot on the paint that you missed when you waxed it, your day is ruined, if the whitewall has a mark on it, we stop whatever we are doing and wash the bike, even if it means that we have to give up riding for the day.

Most guys will never ride enough to wear out a bike, but we sure love to baby them to death.

No wonder we end up getting high blood pressure, heart problems, and shingles.

The bottom line is, if we were in a major accident, and were just barely conscious, the first thing we would think about was how bad the BIKE was hurt.

That was funny geezer.  And too true.  I know I'm not as anal as a lot of guys are with their bikes.  No six hour details here and I can ride it if it's dirty.  But, relative to about any other machine I own, the bike does still get a pretty unique level of care and feeding.  That last line you wrote, however, is priceless.

A little over a year ago I had my second accident on a bike.  First was much longer ago and most of the details I never remembered.  So couldn't tell if I looked at the bike before I looked at me or not (that bike, probably not).

But this last one I slid and rolled along for about 80 feet in the middle of six lanes of traffic and a crossing intersection while the bike traveled about 125 feet in the same mix.  Neither of us got squished.  Fortunately I wasn't even really hurt.  Busted nose and a shoulder that had popped out and back in as I rolled and a bit of rash here and there.  Nothing really damaged though.  But I vividly remember standing up, realizing I could stand up, and then before doing any other inventory looking at the bike to see how it had held up.  It struck me funny later.  Really funny.  But at that moment wondering how the bike had faired in its solo travel was the only thing going through my warped little brain.  We're all, every one of us, mentally ill  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:29:39 PM by twolanerider »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2005, 01:19:41 PM »

Totally profound statement.  I still remember as a 16 year old with my first bike, 90 degree corner, forced wide by an oncoming car over the center line.  I hit the sand on the edge of the street and the bike went out from under me.  Rather than let my new bike get torn up, I held that baby up with my knee as we slid through the sand and bounced off the curb.  The bike didn't get a scratch; I wore all the skin off my knee and couldn't walk for 2 weeks.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.