Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!  (Read 18955 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!
« on: April 29, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »

Hey gang. My '07 SERK3 had E3 radial on the front. I like that tire and had no cupping issues, just wears fairly quickly. But HD/Dunlop discontinued the tire and uses the D407 now, the same tire that's stock on '08's. So I replaced my tire with a new D407 radial before the York trip. THAT TIRE SUCKS!!! I gave up some handling and ride after putting that tire on. WTF?? Why did they change it from the E3?

Now I'm looking into the option of ripping the Dunlops off my bike as a result of that inferior matched front tire. I like the rear, but will only run a set of tires from the same mfr, preferreby the same series tire.

What options do we have to continue to keep radials on these bikes. I'd like to stay with the stock sizes, and with radials, but get something a little stickier, better performing, and more comfortable. Any ideas? Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:50:47 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Tire Options for a SERK3/4?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »

Sounds like burnout time!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:41:31 PM »

Whatever you get Howie; definitely get the round ones :2vrolijk_21: !

(damn it feels good being helpful!)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »

Whatever you get Howie; definitely get the round ones :2vrolijk_21: !

Yeah, I prefer round ones, tires...It is strange that they can look round but feel square...I had 3 Continental's on my f259 that felt like they were square...

(damn it feels good being helpful!)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »

Hey gang. My '07 SERK3 had E3 radial on the front. I like that tire and had no cupping issues, just wears fairly quickly. But HD/Dunlop discontinued the tire and uses the D407 now, the same tire that's stock on '08's. So I replaced my tire with a new D407 radial before the York trip. THAT TIRE SUCKS!!! I gave up some handling and ride after putting that tire on. WTF?? Why did they change it from the E3?

Now I'm looking into the option of ripping the Dunlops off my bike as a result of that inferior matched front tire. I like the rear, but will only run a set of tires from the same mfr, preferreby the same series tire.

What options do we have to continue to keep radials on these bikes. I'd like to stay with the stock sizes, and with radials, but get something a little stickier, better performing, and more comfortable. Any ideas? Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Howie, I've seen you ride, you need to get those sticky soft race tires as used by AMA Superbike racers. Just get a sponsor and replace them after each ride. ;D You could send the used ones down to Henry, he could distribute them where they are needed as ballast for all the Alabama double wides. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:32:54 AM by MJZ »

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:19:27 AM »

Hoist! 8)
Howie,
I have been running Metzler rubber for over 20 years. Started with them back in 1987 with the ME88 series rear and the Laser front on my 920 Yamaha Virago, which was famous for wandering, especiaally in a breeze, they went a long way in stopping that, together with a fork brace. Then when I went to American V-twins back in 2002 with an Indian Chief Roadmaster I dumped the worthless Maxxus for the then new 880 series, I hvae over 30K on that series between the Chief and my 03 SERK with multiple sets in 21K for the SERK and sold the Dunlop 402 series from the Longhorn. I find that I get 20K on a back and a solid 10K on a front with the 880's. The only bike I didn't use them on was my Goldwing and I only had 3500 miles on that when I went to the Chief. Price is comparable and IMO the compound is soft enough for the frequent wet riding here in the North West. They make whitewalls now too. You might ask around about them.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »

Howie,
I have been running Metzler rubber for over 20 years. Started with them back in 1987 with the ME88 series rear and the Laser front on my 920 Yamaha Virago, which was famous for wandering, especiaally in a breeze, they went a long way in stopping that, together with a fork brace. Then when I went to American V-twins back in 2002 with an Indian Chief Roadmaster I dumped the worthless Maxxus for the then new 880 series, I hvae over 30K on that series between the Chief and my 03 SERK with multiple sets in 21K for the SERK and sold the Dunlop 402 series from the Longhorn. I find that I get 20K on a back and a solid 10K on a front with the 880's. The only bike I didn't use them on was my Goldwing and I only had 3500 miles on that when I went to the Chief. Price is comparable and IMO the compound is soft enough for the frequent wet riding here in the North West. They make whitewalls now too. You might ask around about them.

Thanks Capo. I run Metzler Lasers on my street bikes. Love em! The SERK3 is the first bike I've had with Radials. I was digging the handling and responsiveness in the rain with the E3 Radials. But that D407 front just doesn't cut it. Are the Metzlers also available in Radials in these sizes or am I going to have to give up the Radials to go Metzler. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:51 AM »

Thanks Capo. I run Metzler Lasers on my street bikes. Love em! The SERK3 is the first bike I've had with Radials. I was digging the handling and responsiveness in the rain with the E3 Radials. But that D407 front just doesn't cut it. Are the Metzlers also available in Radials in these sizes or am I going to have to give up the Radials to go Metzler. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)
Howie,
The Metzler steel radial line is limited to the Sport bike class as I underctand it. It seems to be a weight thing-the big touring bike tyres are designed for a wider range of handling. Check this out

http://www.metzelermoto.com/en_IT/browser/attachments/pdf/03%20ME%20Flyer%20Street-E%202007-2.pdf

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »

Howie,
The Metzler steel radial line is limited to the Sport bike class as I underctand it. It seems to be a weight thing-the big touring bike tyres are designed for a wider range of handling. Check this out

http://www.metzelermoto.com/en_IT/browser/attachments/pdf/03%20ME%20Flyer%20Street-E%202007-2.pdf

Thanks Capo, I'll go thru their catalog. I might try giving up the radials to get away from that D407. New front & rear on right now. So I'll deal with the next 8-10K miles with these tires on. ;)

I'm surprised that there's no clear alternative for the SERK3/4 tire application, without having to change tire types. HD's gone and done it again witheir one-off BS! FTW & FTF! :o

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »

Again no clear alternative with any Metzler at all. This is as close as I could find:

Front: ME 880 Marathon V-Rated 130/60 VR 18 M/C (60V) TL Front
and
Rear: ME 880 Marathon V-Rated 170/60 R 17 M/C 70V TL

The stock SERK3 front tire size is 130/70 R 18. Will the 60 series tire fit OK?
The stock SERK3 rear tire size is 170/60 R 17. The 17" Metzler above has no designation of front or rear. No load ratings at all for any of their tires in that catalog either.

I'm not convinced these are the replacement Metzlers on the SERK3. However there are no other Metzlers with matching SERK3 sizes in that catalog. Now what? This isn't becoming humorous at all. Seems like HD locked us into another one here! WTF? FTW & FTF!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »

Howie,

Those 18" custom wheels are going to look great on your bike!   ;D :D
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »

Howie,

Those 18" custom wheels are going to look great on your bike!   ;D :D

What 18" custom wheels Ernie? :nixweiss:

I already have an 18" front. I like the wide 17" rear. And ya know damn well I'm not swapping these chrome wheels for a different set! Function over form brother! Now they need to do is make some decent damn tires for it is all! :o ;)

Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »

Once the chrome starts peeling, you can w...tee them and upgrade to some more non-hd parts!   ;) :D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »

OK, screw the  :jack: on the wheels. WTF are we gonna do about tires on these things. Why no other options? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

The 407 rear's OK, but that 407 front sucks. What was wrong with the original front E3 radial? Are there no good performance tires out there in these sizes? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »

Howie, I'm having the same problem, what the *ell to do for replacement tires tires? I wanted to stick with these E3's but have been unable to find a dealer that has stocked them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.