Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!  (Read 18958 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!
« on: April 29, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »

Hey gang. My '07 SERK3 had E3 radial on the front. I like that tire and had no cupping issues, just wears fairly quickly. But HD/Dunlop discontinued the tire and uses the D407 now, the same tire that's stock on '08's. So I replaced my tire with a new D407 radial before the York trip. THAT TIRE SUCKS!!! I gave up some handling and ride after putting that tire on. WTF?? Why did they change it from the E3?

Now I'm looking into the option of ripping the Dunlops off my bike as a result of that inferior matched front tire. I like the rear, but will only run a set of tires from the same mfr, preferreby the same series tire.

What options do we have to continue to keep radials on these bikes. I'd like to stay with the stock sizes, and with radials, but get something a little stickier, better performing, and more comfortable. Any ideas? Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:50:47 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Tire Options for a SERK3/4?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »

Sounds like burnout time!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:41:31 PM »

Whatever you get Howie; definitely get the round ones :2vrolijk_21: !

(damn it feels good being helpful!)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »

Whatever you get Howie; definitely get the round ones :2vrolijk_21: !

Yeah, I prefer round ones, tires...It is strange that they can look round but feel square...I had 3 Continental's on my f259 that felt like they were square...

(damn it feels good being helpful!)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »

Hey gang. My '07 SERK3 had E3 radial on the front. I like that tire and had no cupping issues, just wears fairly quickly. But HD/Dunlop discontinued the tire and uses the D407 now, the same tire that's stock on '08's. So I replaced my tire with a new D407 radial before the York trip. THAT TIRE SUCKS!!! I gave up some handling and ride after putting that tire on. WTF?? Why did they change it from the E3?

Now I'm looking into the option of ripping the Dunlops off my bike as a result of that inferior matched front tire. I like the rear, but will only run a set of tires from the same mfr, preferreby the same series tire.

What options do we have to continue to keep radials on these bikes. I'd like to stay with the stock sizes, and with radials, but get something a little stickier, better performing, and more comfortable. Any ideas? Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Howie, I've seen you ride, you need to get those sticky soft race tires as used by AMA Superbike racers. Just get a sponsor and replace them after each ride. ;D You could send the used ones down to Henry, he could distribute them where they are needed as ballast for all the Alabama double wides. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:32:54 AM by MJZ »

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:19:27 AM »

Hoist! 8)
Howie,
I have been running Metzler rubber for over 20 years. Started with them back in 1987 with the ME88 series rear and the Laser front on my 920 Yamaha Virago, which was famous for wandering, especiaally in a breeze, they went a long way in stopping that, together with a fork brace. Then when I went to American V-twins back in 2002 with an Indian Chief Roadmaster I dumped the worthless Maxxus for the then new 880 series, I hvae over 30K on that series between the Chief and my 03 SERK with multiple sets in 21K for the SERK and sold the Dunlop 402 series from the Longhorn. I find that I get 20K on a back and a solid 10K on a front with the 880's. The only bike I didn't use them on was my Goldwing and I only had 3500 miles on that when I went to the Chief. Price is comparable and IMO the compound is soft enough for the frequent wet riding here in the North West. They make whitewalls now too. You might ask around about them.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »

Howie,
I have been running Metzler rubber for over 20 years. Started with them back in 1987 with the ME88 series rear and the Laser front on my 920 Yamaha Virago, which was famous for wandering, especiaally in a breeze, they went a long way in stopping that, together with a fork brace. Then when I went to American V-twins back in 2002 with an Indian Chief Roadmaster I dumped the worthless Maxxus for the then new 880 series, I hvae over 30K on that series between the Chief and my 03 SERK with multiple sets in 21K for the SERK and sold the Dunlop 402 series from the Longhorn. I find that I get 20K on a back and a solid 10K on a front with the 880's. The only bike I didn't use them on was my Goldwing and I only had 3500 miles on that when I went to the Chief. Price is comparable and IMO the compound is soft enough for the frequent wet riding here in the North West. They make whitewalls now too. You might ask around about them.

Thanks Capo. I run Metzler Lasers on my street bikes. Love em! The SERK3 is the first bike I've had with Radials. I was digging the handling and responsiveness in the rain with the E3 Radials. But that D407 front just doesn't cut it. Are the Metzlers also available in Radials in these sizes or am I going to have to give up the Radials to go Metzler. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:51 AM »

Thanks Capo. I run Metzler Lasers on my street bikes. Love em! The SERK3 is the first bike I've had with Radials. I was digging the handling and responsiveness in the rain with the E3 Radials. But that D407 front just doesn't cut it. Are the Metzlers also available in Radials in these sizes or am I going to have to give up the Radials to go Metzler. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)
Howie,
The Metzler steel radial line is limited to the Sport bike class as I underctand it. It seems to be a weight thing-the big touring bike tyres are designed for a wider range of handling. Check this out

http://www.metzelermoto.com/en_IT/browser/attachments/pdf/03%20ME%20Flyer%20Street-E%202007-2.pdf

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »

Howie,
The Metzler steel radial line is limited to the Sport bike class as I underctand it. It seems to be a weight thing-the big touring bike tyres are designed for a wider range of handling. Check this out

http://www.metzelermoto.com/en_IT/browser/attachments/pdf/03%20ME%20Flyer%20Street-E%202007-2.pdf

Thanks Capo, I'll go thru their catalog. I might try giving up the radials to get away from that D407. New front & rear on right now. So I'll deal with the next 8-10K miles with these tires on. ;)

I'm surprised that there's no clear alternative for the SERK3/4 tire application, without having to change tire types. HD's gone and done it again witheir one-off BS! FTW & FTF! :o

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »

Again no clear alternative with any Metzler at all. This is as close as I could find:

Front: ME 880 Marathon V-Rated 130/60 VR 18 M/C (60V) TL Front
and
Rear: ME 880 Marathon V-Rated 170/60 R 17 M/C 70V TL

The stock SERK3 front tire size is 130/70 R 18. Will the 60 series tire fit OK?
The stock SERK3 rear tire size is 170/60 R 17. The 17" Metzler above has no designation of front or rear. No load ratings at all for any of their tires in that catalog either.

I'm not convinced these are the replacement Metzlers on the SERK3. However there are no other Metzlers with matching SERK3 sizes in that catalog. Now what? This isn't becoming humorous at all. Seems like HD locked us into another one here! WTF? FTW & FTF!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »

Howie,

Those 18" custom wheels are going to look great on your bike!   ;D :D
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »

Howie,

Those 18" custom wheels are going to look great on your bike!   ;D :D

What 18" custom wheels Ernie? :nixweiss:

I already have an 18" front. I like the wide 17" rear. And ya know damn well I'm not swapping these chrome wheels for a different set! Function over form brother! Now they need to do is make some decent damn tires for it is all! :o ;)

Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »

Once the chrome starts peeling, you can w...tee them and upgrade to some more non-hd parts!   ;) :D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »

OK, screw the  :jack: on the wheels. WTF are we gonna do about tires on these things. Why no other options? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

The 407 rear's OK, but that 407 front sucks. What was wrong with the original front E3 radial? Are there no good performance tires out there in these sizes? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »

Howie, I'm having the same problem, what the *ell to do for replacement tires tires? I wanted to stick with these E3's but have been unable to find a dealer that has stocked them.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »

Howie, I'm having the same problem, what the *ell to do for replacement tires tires? I wanted to stick with these E3's but have been unable to find a dealer that has stocked them.

They didn't even stock em when they still made the front. Now they're discontinued. The rear is unchanged. I'm taking a close look at those Metzlers I posted about. Just trying to confirm that going 1 size up in the front will fit OK. We're a 130/70. They make a 130/60. It will lower the front slightly with a smaller aspect ratio, but I can't see it being enough to matter. But I'm not sure it won't rub. Anyone have an answer on this? If it fits, that's my next set. Metzler M880 Marathon V-Rated Radials! ;)

Hoist! 8)

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 03:18:12 AM »

Hoist,

I say go get some Pirelli Corsa Diablo II's I run them on my SuperSport Crotch Rocket and they stick to the road like glue. Plus if you don't like them they are gone in under 3000 miles anyway...lol

Mark

Just trying to help!
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »

OK, screw the  :jack: on the wheels. WTF are we gonna do about tires on these things. Why no other options? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

The 407 rear's OK, but that 407 front sucks. What was wrong with the original front E3 radial? Are there no good performance tires out there in these sizes? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Howie,

My bike goes into the shop this week for a new rear tire, so your thread got me curious.  At this point the only radials I have found in the standard SERK3 sizes are the Bridgestone Exedra G850F & G851R.  I don't know anything about them, they may be total crap, but they are the only matches I have found.  Also, according to the Dennis Kirk site, they still have some E3's in stock in these sizes.

I am curious to see what tire my dealer tries to get away with throwing on there.  Do you think they will try to get away with a bias on the back and a radial on the front?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »

Howie,

My bike goes into the shop this week for a new rear tire, so your thread got me curious.  At this point the only radials I have found in the standard SERK3 sizes are the Bridgestone Exedra G850F & G851R.  I don't know anything about them, they may be total crap, but they are the only matches I have found.  Also, according to the Dennis Kirk site, they still have some E3's in stock in these sizes.

I am curious to see what tire my dealer tries to get away with throwing on there.  Do you think they will try to get away with a bias on the back and a radial on the front?

Travis, Metzler makes the ME880 in our size, V-rated radials, for the rear. They make a 60 Series front V-rated radial in our size, but not a 70 Series. We have plenty of room inside the fender, and I don't think we'll be lowering it very much with this lower profile tire. I think they will be my next tire, unless someone comes up with V-rated radials in our size! Let me know what you end up doing. ;)

See ya in 2 weeks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 02:40:04 AM »

Howie, wonderin if you went with the Metzlers? If so , how do they compare to the E3's?

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 06:34:52 AM »

I found that by adding air to the rubber smooths it out a bit. :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 08:52:38 PM »

I ordered new tires to be put on after the 2 trips I'll be taking over the next 2 weeks. About 3500 miles total between them, plus a Dynotune on the old ones. I hope they can last that long!

Ouch, those stock Dunlops suck. Not holding up to Hoist's abuse very well. Rear is cupping now, and the new front just sucks! I can make the Southern trip, but I'll definitely be done after the ME trip for sure. I hope I don't need the new one's for ME. I'd like to get thru the Dyno on these POS Dunlops, then get the new Metzler ME880 radials (actually Pirellis-they own Metzler, did ya know that? I didn't!) I ordered when I get back from ME. I did find they make a 130/70R-18 front, but not a VR rated one. I ordered it, and got a 170/50VR-17 rated ME880 for the rear. Front load rating is 600 lbs and the rear load rating is 843 if I'm not mistaken. Should be adequate for Cybil. So Metzler does make replacements for those POS Dunlops in the correct sizes. I've only used Metzler Lasertechs before, so I hope I like the ME880 Radials!

I'll let ya'll know what I think of em in a few weeks! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »

OK, let's try to get to the bottom of this once and for all! I've done about as much research as you can do on this issue. So here's what I came up with. In the end, we're screwed with regard to our options, but it is what it is! ;)

SERK 3/4 Tires:

Front:
The SERK 3 came with Dunlop Elite 3 or HD Dunlop D418F, 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H, H speed rating, 600lb load rating.
The SERK 4 came with HD Dunlop D407F, 130/70 R 18 M/C 63V, V rated, 600lb load rating.

Rear:
The SERK 3 & 4 both came with HD Dunlop D407, 170/60 R 17 M/C 78H, H speed rating, 937 lb load rating.

The rear tire is still available as originally released for these bikes, only from HD, and I think it's a pretty decent tire. The front tire has been changed to the SERK 4's tire only, the D407F, which I happen to think sucks, even though it's a V speed rated tire vs. the E3 H rated tire.

Now I've checked with Avon, Metzler, Michelin, Bridgestone, and Pirelli. Not one of these manufacturers makes tires to match the specs of our bike's tires! :nixweiss:

Metzler's the only one close. The ME880 comes in a 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H TL, which matches our front tire specs. But they only offer a 170/60 R 17 M/C 72V TL for the rear. It's a V speed rating, but only a 783 lb load rating! That's giving up 154 lbs of load handling capacity in the rear! Seems like too much to me!

No other vendor even comes close to the right sizes and load ratings for our bike's tires!

So it appears that we need to stay with the HD supplied Dunlop D407 rear tire. But according to Dunlop's site, they make an Elite 3 for the front. It's a Dunlop# 4080-78,  Elite 3 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H. If that tire is available directly from Dunlop, it seems to be the best choice for the front.

I don't believe in mixing tire brands and/or styles. I also don't want to give up over 150 lbs of load handling capacity. So I'd probably wind up staying with the Dunlops. But I hate that D407F. Would anyone mix a Metzler ME880 front with the Dunlop D407 rear? Has anyone obtained a Dunlop Elite 3 instead of going to Harley for a front tire? Is that Dunlop E3 tire even still available? I'm not liking our options here and hope the Elite 3 front might still be available to us thru Dunlop. What did ya'll find on your ends?

P.S.: If you find an alternate tire, please post the specs for it. (full sidewall number).

Hoist! 8)

*Corrected front tire models

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:02:15 PM by Hoist! »

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »

Hi Howie

Been doing the same research with the same results. I am trying to track down the Dunlop Elite 3. I've even had a couple shops say they got em. Upon checking they are the wrong size. I've never mixed tire brands so I can't give any insight there. They have us on this one so far...

I let you know if I come up with anything.

JW

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 07:29:52 PM »

OK, let's try to get to the bottom of this once and for all! I've done about as much research as you can do on this issue. So here's what I came up with. In the end, we're screwed with regard to our options, but it is what it is! ;)

SERK 3/4 Tires:

Front:
The SERK 3 came with Dunlop Elite 3 or HD Dunlop D407F, 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H, H speed rating, 600lb load rating.
The SERK 4 came with HD Dunlop D418F, 130/70 R 18 M/C 63V, V rated, 600lb load rating.

Rear:
The SERK 3 & 4 both came with HD Dunlop D407, 170/60 R 17 M/C 78H, H speed rating, 937 lb load rating.

The rear tire is still available as originally released for these bikes, only from HD, and I think it's a pretty decent tire. The front tire has been changed to the SERK 4's tire only, the D418F, which I happen to think sucks, even though it's a V speed rated tire vs. the E3 H rated tire.

Now I've checked with Avon, Metzler, Michelin, Bridgestone, and Pirelli. Not one of these manufacturers makes tires to match the specs of our bike's tires! :nixweiss:

Metzler's the only one close. The ME880 comes in a 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H TL, which matches our front tire specs. But they only offer a 170/60 R 17 M/C 72V TL for the rear. It's a V speed rating, but only a 783 lb load rating! That's giving up 154 lbs of load handling capacity in the rear! Seems like too much to me!

No other vendor even comes close to the right sizes and load ratings for our bike's tires!

So it appears that we need to stay with the HD supplied Dunlop D407 rear tire. But according to Dunlop's site, they make an Elite 3 for the front. It's a Dunlop# 4080-78,  Elite 3 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H. If that tire is available directly from Dunlop, it seems to be the best choice for the front.

I don't believe in mixing tire brands and/or styles. I also don't want to give up over 150 lbs of load handling capacity. So I'd probably wind up staying with the Dunlops. But I hate that D418F. Would anyone mix a Metzler ME880 front with the Dunlop D407 rear? Has anyone obtained a Dunlop Elite 3 instead of going to Harley for a front tire? Is that Dunlop E3 tire even still available? I'm not liking our options here and hope the Elite 3 front might still be available to us thru Dunlop. What did ya'll find on your ends?

Hoist! 8)

Actually you got that backwards.  The '07 Front was D418F, '08 Front was D407 which then matches the tread on the rear tire for both years. 

I discussed the unique tire issue with the Dunlop rep at Laconia.  He said the non HD branded had a much lower load rating and that some dealer were putting those on as substitutions.
If Dunlop goes on strike or stops making them what to do?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:38:15 PM by skreminegul07 »
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

Actually you got that backwards.  The '07 Front was D418F, '08 Front was D407 which then matches the tread on the rear tire for both years. 

I discussed the unique tire issue with the Dunlop rep at Laconia.  He said the non HD branded had a much lower load rating and that some dealer were putting those on as substitutions.
If Dunlop goes on strike or stops making them what to do?

Oops! Got em backwards! :-[

Thanks for picking that up Phil! :2vrolijk_21:

The rating you get for the Elite 3 has the same load rating (63H) as the D418. The D407 is 63V. They're all good for 600 lbs.

But that still leaves the Elite 3 from Dunlop as the only other tire besides the HD D407! And that tire might not be easy to get, if at all! Unless we mix the HD Dunlop D407 rear with the Metzler ME880 front. I wonder how that would work? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »

Howie, don't you care about the SPEED rating difference between H and V?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »

Howie, don't you care about the SPEED rating difference between H and V?

130 mph vs 149 mph....don't think there is that much time spent at those speeds......

On second thought this is Howie we're talking about ::)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »

130 mph vs 149 mph....don't think there is that much time spent at those speeds......

On second thought this is Howie we're talking about ::)

Right on Jim!  Congrats again on your anniversary!   :huepfenjump3:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »

Congrats on your 1 year anny Jim! :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Phil, I started out looking to use V rated tires. Now I'm finding that I'll be lucky to find anything better that the D407's! I'd be OK with the H rated E3 for the front and the D407 rear. Not sure what to do if the E3 isn't available. The D407F really sucks. Might go with the Metzlers and give up the 150 lb load rating on thee rear. Not a good spot we're in regarding tire selection! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »

I have been doing a lot of research also and Hoist is correct, I have called every tire supply around. Really no problem with finding the rear but the front is the hard one. So i gave in and will be at H-D store in the morning to put 2 new tires on, I'll let you know what happens. With everthing i have read about on here i don't expect to get 10,600 miles on the new ones. I'm not really
concerned about mileage just as long as they don't screw up the way the bike handles.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

I have been doing a lot of research also and Hoist is correct, I have called every tire supply around. Really no problem with finding the rear but the front is the hard one. So i gave in and will be at H-D store in the morning to put 2 new tires on, I'll let you know what happens. With everthing i have read about on here i don't expect to get 10,600 miles on the new ones. I'm not really
concerned about mileage just as long as they don't screw up the way the bike handles.

That's the point. The D407F does screw up the way the bike rides and handles. There's a tremendous need for an option for the front. But since tires are made to run best in a matched set, we need to find one with a matching rear. Nothing exists to handle the 937 lb load rating we get with the D407 rear. And Metzler makes a V rated front too, besides the H rated ME880. But that rating is 60V. meaning only 550 lb load rating in lieu of the 63H 600 lb load rating. If you use the Metzler ME880 V rated front and rear, you've given up over 200 lbs of load handling capacity! What a conundrum! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »

I'm in agreement with ya. I called and ordered mine also. Maybe in another 10000 miles another manufacture will step up to fill this small void. I'm sure it's a matter of such a limited need the manufacture's don't feel it justify the cost. Too bad, this is really a great wheel/tire set up on the RoadKings.
JW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »

I'm in agreement with ya. I called and ordered mine also. Maybe in another 10000 miles another manufacture will step up to fill this small void. I'm sure it's a matter of such a limited need the manufacture's don't feel it justify the cost. Too bad, this is really a great wheel/tire set up on the RoadKings.
JW

Right on Jeff! The best riding and handling RK they've made yet. All we need is some decent tire choices now! :o ;)

Hoist! 8)

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »

Whatever you do, don't mix tire brands. Between tire construction, type of rubber and what the purpose of the tire requirements are it's just too risky IMO to put 2 different brands on your bike. For example, You might would have a sticky front and a hard rear and the first good corner you go into the back washes out. Sticking with the same family of a tire brand ( ie.. Elite), the rubber compound will be more consistant and both tires will behave similar.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »

That's the point. The D407F does screw up the way the bike rides and handles. There's a tremendous need for an option for the front. But since tires are made to run best in a matched set, we need to find one with a matching rear. Nothing exists to handle the 937 lb load rating we get with the D407 rear. And Metzler makes a V rated front too, besides the H rated ME880. But that rating is 60V. meaning only 550 lb load rating in lieu of the 63H 600 lb load rating. If you use the Metzler ME880 V rated front and rear, you've given up over 200 lbs of load handling capacity! What a conundrum! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
Hoist! 8)

Sounds like no BSR, no Tour Pak and certainly no fairing!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Sounds like no BSR, no Tour Pak and certainly no fairing!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

HeHe!!! Good one Phil! :2vrolijk_21: ;D

I guess I can live with the load loss up front then, huh? :huepfenjump3:

But the back might be a problem! :o :nixweiss: ;)

Then again....... ::)

Hoist! 8)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »

Hey gang..just got back from a short trip and my buddies noticed my front tire is "cupping"..still new to riding..some say cupping is a bad tire, alignment problem, balancing issue or that I ride my SERK hard in turns and touring bikes aren't meant to do that. Called the dealer to see if they had any D407 F in stock..he said whats up you have an 08, I said my front tire Cupped, he said I should take it to my dealer it's a warrantee issue, I said you are my dealer, he paused and said "OH, then I'd bring it in right away"...also have 9300 miles on the tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated. still learning.
Dean

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »

I ordered new tires to be put on after the 2 trips I'll be taking over the next 2 weeks. About 3500 miles total between them, plus a Dynotune on the old ones. I hope they can last that long!

Ouch, those stock Dunlops suck. Not holding up to Hoist's abuse very well. Rear is cupping now, and the new front just sucks! I can make the Southern trip, but I'll definitely be done after the ME trip for sure. I hope I don't need the new one's for ME. I'd like to get thru the Dyno on these POS Dunlops, then get the new Metzler ME880 radials (actually Pirellis-they own Metzler, did ya know that? I didn't!) I ordered when I get back from ME. I did find they make a 130/70R-18 front, but not a VR rated one. I ordered it, and got a 170/50VR-17 rated ME880 for the rear. Front load rating is 600 lbs and the rear load rating is 843 if I'm not mistaken. Should be adequate for Cybil. So Metzler does make replacements for those POS Dunlops in the correct sizes. I've only used Metzler Lasertechs before, so I hope I like the ME880 Radials!

I'll let ya'll know what I think of em in a few weeks! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Well, how are the skins? 

Mine are getting thin and if I don't plunge for serg Ima going to need new ones soon.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »

Well, how are the skins? 

Mine are getting thin and if I don't plunge for serg Ima going to need new ones soon.

It's been very frustrating finding replacement tires for this bike. I never went with those Metzlers as I didn't want to give up the weight handling capacity of the stock tires. After exhaustive research, came up blank! :nixweiss:

Any ideas? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:54:04 PM by Hoist! »

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »

It's been very frustrating finding replacement tires for this bike. I never went with those Metzlers as I didn't want to give up the weight handling capacity of the stock tires. After exhaustive research, came up blank! :nixweiss:

Any ideas? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist,

Send an email to Jeff at Grand Canyon HD Jeff@gch-d.com and see if they have the E3. I had my front replaced there the end of May and they only had E3s. Maybe you could buy a couple for future use.
 :drink:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »

Hey gang..just got back from a short trip and my buddies noticed my front tire is "cupping"..still new to riding..some say cupping is a bad tire, alignment problem, balancing issue or that I ride my SERK hard in turns and touring bikes aren't meant to do that. Called the dealer to see if they had any D407 F in stock..he said whats up you have an 08, I said my front tire Cupped, he said I should take it to my dealer it's a warrantee issue, I said you are my dealer, he paused and said "OH, then I'd bring it in right away"...also have 9300 miles on the tire. Any input would be greatly appreciated. still learning.
Dean

Not bad mileage I would think.  The 418Fs the 07s had cupped and I replaced my over winter break at 9000.  We'll see how the D407F wear.  Cupping is usually alighnment but the SERKs seem to be prone to doing it.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »

Not bad mileage I would think.  The 418Fs the 07s had cupped and I replaced my over winter break at 9000.  We'll see how the D407F wear.  Cupping is usually alighnment but the SERKs seem to be prone to doing it.

Cupping can also be caused by "pushing" the front in corners. As much as the SERK's weigh and most of it toward the rear it's no wonder the tires aren't cupping sooner than they are.

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 04:28:48 AM »

Howie - interesting to hear that you are having issues with your replacement front tire. My bike came with the D407's front and rear and I have just replaced both of them for my trip. I have found them to be good tires over here and have never felt like the bike is not sure footed in any situation.

What difference did you notice when you replaced the front with the D407?

They certainly don't seem to wear too well, but I then lay that off against the handling of the bike with them on.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »

All the posts I've read alluded to there not being any Metzlers in the size for the FLHRSE4.  I just called a company and they said they have exact match ups...130/70 HR18  and 170/60VR17...not sure if this is right information. The ME880 has an "H" added to the fronts and on the companys website it has in parentheses GL1800 and VTX1800...as well the rear has a "V"  added to the rear..I'm guessing it's the weight rating, which doesn't match up. Confused.
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »

All the posts I've read alluded to there not being any Metzlers in the size for the FLHRSE4.  I just called a company and they said they have exact match ups...130/70 HR18  and 170/60VR17...not sure if this is right information. The ME880 has an "H" added to the fronts and on the companys website it has in parentheses GL1800 and VTX1800...as well the rear has a "V"  added to the rear..I'm guessing it's the weight rating, which doesn't match up. Confused.
Dean

You're correct on that Dean. They make the sizes and the H speed rated front matches the load rating of the E3. But their V speed rated rear load rating is about 150 lbs short! Too much to give up.

Hoist! 8)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

Hoist...The tire place I called said the the load/speed rating for the rear on stock 407's was like 139 mph for 1 hour and the 880's were like 120 MPH..then he said if you're not gonna go that fast it doesn't matter..I may cruise 85+ on highway...but it seems our forum agree's to not go down in the rating for safety sake. Is that correct??
Thanks, Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »

Hoist...The tire place I called said the the load/speed rating for the rear on stock 407's was like 139 mph for 1 hour and the 880's were like 120 MPH..then he said if you're not gonna go that fast it doesn't matter..I may cruise 85+ on highway...but it seems our forum agree's to not go down in the rating for safety sake. Is that correct??
Thanks, Dean

Speed rating's not the issue Dean. We can live with the H rated tire, although a 149 MPH V rated tire would be nice. The problem is Metzler doesn't have a tire to handle the 937 lb load rating of the D407 rear. :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »

Got ya...for my info, what is the load rating on the Metzlers Rear and where does it tell you that?
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »

Got ya...for my info, what is the load rating on the Metzlers Rear and where does it tell you that?
Dean

The Metzler is 783 lbs. The E3 is 937. The load rating is on the tire's sidewall with the other codes.

Typical sidewall code:

170/60 R 17 M/C 72 V TL

170 is width
60 is aspect ratio
R is Radial
17 is diameter
M/C is Motorcycle only
72 is load rating. In this case it's 783 lbs. The E3 load rating is 78 (937 lbs)
V is speed rating
TL is tubeless

All this can be found on most tire manufacturer's website. ;)

Hoist! 8)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »

Just replaced the front tire on my 08 SERK with 8700 miles @ $280. Hope there is an aftermarket option soon  >:(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:49:18 PM by GH »

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »

Thanks Hoist...I learn more and more everyday from this forum...It's tough being new to riding and mechanically handicapped...but I do ride, have about 30K in 2 years 2 months...LOVE IT. Thanks again.
Dean

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »

Just replaced the front tire on my 08 SERK with 8700 miles @ $280. Hope there is an aftermarket option soon  >:(

Hmmmm you are paying big bucks for that tire over there Howie. I just bought one over here for the equivalent of $185.00.

Nige

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »

Hmmmm you are paying big bucks for that tire over there Howie. I just bought one over here for the equivalent of $185.00.

Nige
Sorry Nige, should have been more precise. Tire-$180 the rest labor and weights.

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »

Sorry Nige, should have been more precise. Tire-$180 the rest labor and weights.

Gotcha. Guess I paid $245.00 for the same thing.

$260.00 for the back tire including fitting/balancing etc.

Nige

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »

Check this out Hoist..I get a call from my dealers service manager while my bike was in today for a new front tire and a 10K service. He calls and says "do you have a few minutes"..I knew it was bad from that point on. he said we replaced your front tire and did the 10K sevice, but theres a problem with an oil leak in your engine..he said HD knew about it when they called, and they have to replace the gaskets, both top and bottom as well as some bolts..when they take the engine apart, 10-14 hours of service and they'll have my bike til saturday IF all goes well. I had read about the problems with the 110 engine on this forum...I have 9300 miles...and I guess it was my turn...SUCKS...I just hope its as close as new when they put it back together, I imagine anything not factory may continue to be a problem down the road. Any thoughts??
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2008, 07:24:12 AM »

Check this out Hoist..I get a call from my dealers service manager while my bike was in today for a new front tire and a 10K service. He calls and says "do you have a few minutes"..I knew it was bad from that point on. he said we replaced your front tire and did the 10K sevice, but theres a problem with an oil leak in your engine..he said HD knew about it when they called, and they have to replace the gaskets, both top and bottom as well as some bolts..when they take the engine apart, 10-14 hours of service and they'll have my bike til saturday IF all goes well. I had read about the problems with the 110 engine on this forum...I have 9300 miles...and I guess it was my turn...SUCKS...I just hope its as close as new when they put it back together, I imagine anything not factory may continue to be a problem down the road. Any thoughts??
Dean

There won't be one 110 top end staying on factory, so don't worry about that. Just make sure they give ya everything in their "Enhancement" package described in another thread here. And I hope they know how top put a top end on properly! Good luck with the repairs Dean! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »

can you point me to the enhancement package thread so I can copy it and fax it to my dealer..all he said was they were sending them 2 gaskets and a bolt...he also said HD will be putting out the recall announcement the 2nd week in august to all 110 owners
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »

can you point me to the enhancement package thread so I can copy it and fax it to my dealer..all he said was they were sending them 2 gaskets and a bolt...he also said HD will be putting out the recall announcement the 2nd week in august to all 110 owners
Dean

I couldn't find the post Dean, but here's the Bulletin that HD sent to the dealers. Bring it with you. ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:38:22 AM by Hoist! »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »

And this one too for the new heads you should be getting. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »

Here's the letter. P1.

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2008, 08:38:04 AM »

Letter, p.2.

Bring all this with you. ;)

Hoist! 8)

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2008, 12:13:21 PM »

Good stuff Howie - thanx.

:2vrolijk_21:

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »

Try a set of these!  :D

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »

Try a set of these!  :D

Waht and sell your sole to the Devil?

:D :D

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »

Yea, you can change the shoes to match the conditions, cross trainers, running shoes, or hiking boots if it gets bad out!

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2008, 12:37:39 PM »

Yea, you can change the shoes to match the conditions, cross trainers, running shoes, or hiking boots if it gets bad out!

Sounds good, but why are the Trainers so annoyed?

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2008, 01:06:33 PM »

Hoist..they are sending all the "enhancements" per the documents you sent. They're waiting until 8/11 to announce it so they have sufficient kits available for everyone. Being that I had mine in at the dealer already, they did release one from Milwalkeee...and he assured me I'll be a happy camper when all is said and done...I hope he's right, I love my bike.
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »

Hoist..they are sending all the "enhancements" per the documents you sent. They're waiting until 8/11 to announce it so they have sufficient kits available for everyone. Being that I had mine in at the dealer already, they did release one from Milwalkeee...and he assured me I'll be a happy camper when all is said and done...I hope he's right, I love my bike.
Dean

Glad to hear there's no problem with "The Fix' for ya Dean. good luck with the upgrades! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »

Great info/posts Howie. Thanks. Not to  :beatdeadhorse: as I know it's been covered and covered. anywho where do I locate build/production date on this SERK??  :confused5:

Howie

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »

left side of the steering neck

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »

Got it thanks Miker  :2vrolijk_21:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »

guess i'll buy some e3 re-treads.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »

guess i'll buy some e3 re-treads.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

TN

Right! :huepfenjump3:

Spoke with TN this morning. His indie found he can order the front Dunlop E3 I indicated earlier here. He'll let us know if he gets it, but his indie said he can order it for around $185. If this pans out, we'll still be able to use the same tire as on the original SERK3 front, and the HD Dunlop D407 rear tire. Hope it pans out. Fronts don't usually go on the road unless you really plan poorly or get a flat. So you can plan ahead and get a decent front tire it appears. And rears can be replaced at an HD dealer anywhere. Not too bad a solution. Let's hear how you do TN. Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »

TN, any news on the front E3 availability? :nixweiss:

Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »

Ron Ayers site has the tires, don't spend $185.00! 0303-0019  TIRE ELITE3 130/70HR18  $116.00 plus $12.00 shipping

:pumpkin:
Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »

Ron Ayers site has the tires, don't spend $185.00! 0303-0019  TIRE ELITE3 130/70HR18  $116.00 plus $12.00 shipping

:pumpkin:
Brad

Thanks Brad. Just ordered one for now. :2vrolijk_21:

Might order a few more for future use. How long can you leave tires laying around anyway? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »

Howie,
          if you leave them inside your house, they can lay around for a LONG time. Out in the garage or somewhere where the climate can get to them they will dry rot. A friend collects classic cars and has an original set of wheels and tires off of a 66 vette and the tires are still perfect just by leaving them in a spare bedroom that he uses to store extra parts.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »

I bought 2 new ELITE 3, D407 REAR, D407F for the front, Put 300 miles on them yesterday, Appox. 50 miles at 70mph PLus
 and 250 miles on 2 lane mtn. roads here in E. TN. Cannot tell a bit of difference in the new E3's from the ones that came on my 07 SERK, They ride and handle just as well  Guess the only question now is to see if can get as many miles on these as i did on the old ones (10,500)
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2008, 10:13:38 AM »

Thanks Brad. Just ordered one for now. :2vrolijk_21:

Might order a few more for future use. How long can you leave tires laying around anyway? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Don't know if it's true or not Howie.....but the guy at Les Schwabb told me that they have to rotate tire stock because rubber breaks down over time by UV rays (or was it UA rays?).  That a tire that sits on a shelf for six months or a year is O.K. but longer than that, they'll start breaking down over a long period of time.  I think there may be some truth to that in why RVs cover their wheels and mobile homes remove then.  But as fast as you're going to go through tires on that hot rod......not a problem. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »

No UV rays in the house unless by open window.  I guess you could always put some tire spray on suff on the tires until ready to use them and then clean it off.  Out of sunlight should be fine.  Besides, as long as there is a non HD source (cheaper)  and you put a set on every other year, its a good thing.  Nice to know you have tires if something happens.  I'ver had to wait two weeks to get the fron tire from HD.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2008, 09:14:44 AM »

All new tires come with a slime coating that preserves the rubber. That's why you have to be easy on the new skins so that the new coating wears off and the tire will stick. I've seen it a bunch of times where people get new tires, hammer it coming out the shop and end up on the ground.

Green tires= :oops:

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2008, 10:20:54 PM »

I think I'm going to get the Metzelers on my next tire change. I don't thimk giving up 150 pound load rating is a big deal if I never ride 2 up and I'm under 200...so let's say 800 for the bike, 220 for rider, with full leathers and some stuff in the saddle bags...add another 100 pounds just to be pesimistic and we're still at 1120 pounds total ....we have the rear rated at 780 and the front Metz at 600,,,so we have 1380  total load rating. Don't think that's pushing it. Really want to try the Metzelers badly. Anyone try them yet? Dean

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2008, 05:38:59 PM »

21000 on front E3 and 15000 on stock rear 407  Replaced with same . the ride is nice I just hope the 407 doesn't cup again.   Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »

21000 on front E3 and 15000 on stock rear 407  Replaced with same . the ride is nice I just hope the 407 doesn't cup again.   Billy

That's pretty incredible mileage from those tires.  I got 12000 on the rear and 8000-9000 on each of the first two sets.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2008, 01:48:44 PM »

That's pretty incredible mileage from those tires.  I got 12000 on the rear and 8000-9000 on each of the first two sets.
I've got to agree, pretty incredible!! I got about 7k on the front and 8.5k on the rear.  :nixweiss:
Front began to cup at 5k!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2008, 07:18:51 AM »

my front D407s usually cup by 4K...looking forward to putting on the ME 880's, they certainly could not be any worse.
Dean

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »

I have the E3 on the front great tire. The 407 on the back cupped at 5000 then replaced and it cupped at 10000miles on the tire. I kept it till 21000 on front and replaced with the same I will go for warranty this time if it cups again.  the E3 gat alittle flat so i think I should have changed a little earlier.    Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2008, 10:58:06 PM »

I think I'm going to get the Metzelers on my next tire change. I don't thimk giving up 150 pound load rating is a big deal if I never ride 2 up and I'm under 200...so let's say 800 for the bike, 220 for rider, with full leathers and some stuff in the saddle bags...add another 100 pounds just to be pesimistic and we're still at 1120 pounds total ....we have the rear rated at 780 and the front Metz at 600,,,so we have 1380  total load rating. Don't think that's pushing it. Really want to try the Metzelers badly. Anyone try them yet? Dean

Check out this thread;

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22799.75
reply #3-4-5-6

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »

:oops: Uh err. That's the same thread..... :drink:
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2008, 09:39:15 AM »

Hey gang,  So far I am lovin the Metzelers, they really hug the road and my bike effortlessly rolls into sweepers or tight twisties. The ride is also alot softer. Let's see how they hold up long term, with wear and cupping, but so far they have been a major improvement for riding and handling. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Dean

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »

Good to know Dean!  Keep us informed. I put new version of the 407's on. Got a couple thousand on em but winter is here so no ride time for now.
Dunlop changed the compounds as they were having a problem with wear.....go figure! However, they are not helping out on the replacement cost. Whatever happen to taking care of your customers.
JW

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »

It doesn't surprise me that they were having wear problems, mine were horrible. I alos didn't know they changed the compound, but am glad they did with so many 407 owners. I'll keep ya posted on the Metzelers wear, as I am plugged in for Winter riding.
Dean

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2008, 09:00:02 PM »

which metzler did you get?????

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2008, 09:55:47 PM »

the ME 880's..only thing I gave up was the load rating in the rear was 780 as compared with about 930 for the D 407's. I rarely ride 2 up and weight about 185. The performance difference is incredible, had a good go round with them today, amazing grip on the road from the softer compound.
Dean

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »

:oops: Uh err. That's the same thread..... :drink:

exactly and early when the question he asked was answered
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:05:02 PM by Capo »

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »

Howie...not sure how much room you have in the rear, but because my new bike has a 17" rear, with a 190 on it (Bridgestone), I've been researching replacements when the time comes, as the 'stones are exactly that...stones.  Not terrible, but could be better.  I've been reading good things about the 200/55x17 Avon Cobra Radial for the rear, and the 130/70x18 for the front.  The ratings are spot on IF your rear rim/swingarm/fender will hold the 200.  It's about 1/4" shorter than what comes on my bike, stock being 190/60x17.

Not sure they will work, but I've heard good things about the Cobra tires.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 21 queries.