Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!  (Read 19094 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: SERK 3/4 Tire Options Once and For All!
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »

All the posts I've read alluded to there not being any Metzlers in the size for the FLHRSE4.  I just called a company and they said they have exact match ups...130/70 HR18  and 170/60VR17...not sure if this is right information. The ME880 has an "H" added to the fronts and on the companys website it has in parentheses GL1800 and VTX1800...as well the rear has a "V"  added to the rear..I'm guessing it's the weight rating, which doesn't match up. Confused.
Dean

You're correct on that Dean. They make the sizes and the H speed rated front matches the load rating of the E3. But their V speed rated rear load rating is about 150 lbs short! Too much to give up.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

Hoist...The tire place I called said the the load/speed rating for the rear on stock 407's was like 139 mph for 1 hour and the 880's were like 120 MPH..then he said if you're not gonna go that fast it doesn't matter..I may cruise 85+ on highway...but it seems our forum agree's to not go down in the rating for safety sake. Is that correct??
Thanks, Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »

Hoist...The tire place I called said the the load/speed rating for the rear on stock 407's was like 139 mph for 1 hour and the 880's were like 120 MPH..then he said if you're not gonna go that fast it doesn't matter..I may cruise 85+ on highway...but it seems our forum agree's to not go down in the rating for safety sake. Is that correct??
Thanks, Dean

Speed rating's not the issue Dean. We can live with the H rated tire, although a 149 MPH V rated tire would be nice. The problem is Metzler doesn't have a tire to handle the 937 lb load rating of the D407 rear. :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »

Got ya...for my info, what is the load rating on the Metzlers Rear and where does it tell you that?
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »

Got ya...for my info, what is the load rating on the Metzlers Rear and where does it tell you that?
Dean

The Metzler is 783 lbs. The E3 is 937. The load rating is on the tire's sidewall with the other codes.

Typical sidewall code:

170/60 R 17 M/C 72 V TL

170 is width
60 is aspect ratio
R is Radial
17 is diameter
M/C is Motorcycle only
72 is load rating. In this case it's 783 lbs. The E3 load rating is 78 (937 lbs)
V is speed rating
TL is tubeless

All this can be found on most tire manufacturer's website. ;)

Hoist! 8)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »

Just replaced the front tire on my 08 SERK with 8700 miles @ $280. Hope there is an aftermarket option soon  >:(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:49:18 PM by GH »

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »

Thanks Hoist...I learn more and more everyday from this forum...It's tough being new to riding and mechanically handicapped...but I do ride, have about 30K in 2 years 2 months...LOVE IT. Thanks again.
Dean

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »

Just replaced the front tire on my 08 SERK with 8700 miles @ $280. Hope there is an aftermarket option soon  >:(

Hmmmm you are paying big bucks for that tire over there Howie. I just bought one over here for the equivalent of $185.00.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »

Hmmmm you are paying big bucks for that tire over there Howie. I just bought one over here for the equivalent of $185.00.

Nige
Sorry Nige, should have been more precise. Tire-$180 the rest labor and weights.

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »

Sorry Nige, should have been more precise. Tire-$180 the rest labor and weights.

Gotcha. Guess I paid $245.00 for the same thing.

$260.00 for the back tire including fitting/balancing etc.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »

Check this out Hoist..I get a call from my dealers service manager while my bike was in today for a new front tire and a 10K service. He calls and says "do you have a few minutes"..I knew it was bad from that point on. he said we replaced your front tire and did the 10K sevice, but theres a problem with an oil leak in your engine..he said HD knew about it when they called, and they have to replace the gaskets, both top and bottom as well as some bolts..when they take the engine apart, 10-14 hours of service and they'll have my bike til saturday IF all goes well. I had read about the problems with the 110 engine on this forum...I have 9300 miles...and I guess it was my turn...SUCKS...I just hope its as close as new when they put it back together, I imagine anything not factory may continue to be a problem down the road. Any thoughts??
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2008, 07:24:12 AM »

Check this out Hoist..I get a call from my dealers service manager while my bike was in today for a new front tire and a 10K service. He calls and says "do you have a few minutes"..I knew it was bad from that point on. he said we replaced your front tire and did the 10K sevice, but theres a problem with an oil leak in your engine..he said HD knew about it when they called, and they have to replace the gaskets, both top and bottom as well as some bolts..when they take the engine apart, 10-14 hours of service and they'll have my bike til saturday IF all goes well. I had read about the problems with the 110 engine on this forum...I have 9300 miles...and I guess it was my turn...SUCKS...I just hope its as close as new when they put it back together, I imagine anything not factory may continue to be a problem down the road. Any thoughts??
Dean

There won't be one 110 top end staying on factory, so don't worry about that. Just make sure they give ya everything in their "Enhancement" package described in another thread here. And I hope they know how top put a top end on properly! Good luck with the repairs Dean! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »

can you point me to the enhancement package thread so I can copy it and fax it to my dealer..all he said was they were sending them 2 gaskets and a bolt...he also said HD will be putting out the recall announcement the 2nd week in august to all 110 owners
Dean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »

can you point me to the enhancement package thread so I can copy it and fax it to my dealer..all he said was they were sending them 2 gaskets and a bolt...he also said HD will be putting out the recall announcement the 2nd week in august to all 110 owners
Dean

I couldn't find the post Dean, but here's the Bulletin that HD sent to the dealers. Bring it with you. ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:38:22 AM by Hoist! »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »

And this one too for the new heads you should be getting. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 22 queries.