Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch Squeak/ Throttle unload  (Read 2351 times)

Assfault

• Flash burn
Clutch Squeak/ Throttle unload
« on: May 14, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »

I have recently purchased a 2001 Screamin eagle Road Glide. I have ridden this hog 1000 miles since purchase. I have been hearing a noise that occurs when i unload quickly on the throttle that sounds like it is comming from the clutch. It seems to be worse when ridding my passanger. It also seems to get less noisey as the engine heats up and has been ridden for a while.
My Question is does this clutch need adjustment or is this just the "nature of the Beast"?
Gremlin Bell

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Clutch Squeak/ Throttle unload
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 04:51:28 PM »

Assfault,

Any relation to Assman? Who was on Dave Letterman a year or so ago.

It may not be your clutch, it could be your Drive Belt, check its tightness.

geezerglide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 07:51:49 PM »

I have recently purchased a 2001 Screamin eagle Road Glide. I have ridden this hog 1000 miles since purchase. I have been hearing a noise that occurs when i unload quickly on the throttle that sounds like it is comming from the clutch. It seems to be worse when ridding my passanger. It also seems to get less noisey as the engine heats up and has been ridden for a while.
My Question is does this clutch need adjustment or is this just the "nature of the Beast"?

I can remember twice over the miles having experienced a sound something like you're describing at the time you're describing it.  Once was a drive belt that had gotten loose and once was a bad (worn out) belt tensioner inside the primary.  Nice looking Road Glide; congratulations on finding the bike.

Assfault

• Flash burn
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 08:05:42 PM »

Thanks to geezerglide and two lane rider for your comments.
We just got back from a big ride today for the Bridge to Faith Mc fund raiser. We had a blast. I talked to a few of the guys and they said about the same thing  you both did. The poll seems to think that the primary belt drive pully may be worn. I will be checking that as soon as i get the chance.              Thanks again         Assfault
Gremlin Bell

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:51:19 PM »

Assfault welcome to the web site. [smiley=beerchug.gif]  You have a nice looking ride and a georgeous wife. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Sounds like you're already on your way to solving your problem.  Good luck with it.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Assfault

• Flash burn
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 04:07:08 PM »

Apparently the last time the bike was serviced the belt was tensioned 1/8 of and inch further on on side than the other. This was causing the the belt to ride on the left side of the primary sprocket during throttle unloading.  I adjusted the belt correctly and WALA, it turned out to be a very easy fix. Thanks for all the comments they were very helpfull in solving this Squeak. This case is closed. !!!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
Gremlin Bell

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 09:46:38 PM »

I bought mine new and have had a few problems; front brake caliper,
fuel pump, tripometer, speedo sensor, and trans mainshaft seal. All replaced under the 5 year warranty....  

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.