Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 1K Service  (Read 4150 times)

nhFLSTFSE

• It's time to ride
1K Service
« on: May 31, 2005, 07:11:22 PM »

Would someone explain just what we do get at this service interval?
I do not really see its worth.   Of course its a precaution.  The darn thing runs fine now.  After this I would like to service myself

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
Re: 1K Service
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 09:39:36 PM »

lets see ! - get a HD manual for your particular bike - get all the items to perform the service including cable lube- look in the manual for all items on a 1k service and perform all of them - see if it ain;t worth on average $290
other wise the other option - if not performed - kiss your engine goodbye cause all the breakin oil;s are in it and need to be replaced
re-torque axles so your wheels don;t fall off - re-set drive belt tightness - total savings so far is around lets say $9000 - trans lube also has break in oil in it an needs to be replaced with new - or trash that new trans with metal grinding it into oblivion in short order - primary chain tightness - needs to be adjusted - if it don;t  - kiss your inner primary/outer primary and all components inside goodbye - another savings of $3500 to do the 1k so far - if hyd clutch no adjustment - if not - adjust your clutch - if not smoke your plates - in the manual covers all item that need to be done on a 1k - but hell - just change lube and go for it - on the average a good tech can do the 3.0 hr service in about 1.7 but they do it day in and day out and work on flat rate - if you do it and have not done it and you honestly do all the items on the list it may average 5 hrs - and you can still perform it - performing all listed items and still be covered by warranty as long as you have proof it was done - in another thread this topic is covered. another quick thought - blast up to 100 mph and remember YOU did the service and see how confident you are - this is not a slam on you my friend it is a constantly asked question and have see alot of bikes repaired due to some owners not wanting to spend a few bucks, or extra money spent due to they have constantly overlooking parts of their services. wait till ya blast 10 k or 20 k on that ride

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 07:15:47 AM »

Would someone explain just what we do get at this service interval?
I do not really see its worth.   Of course its a precaution.  The darn thing runs fine now.  After this I would like to service myself

NH I think Shovelhead covered it. I do a lot of my own work (except machine work) I don't twist wrenches for a living but have owned and worked on Harleys for about 30 years. If you get out the manual and are convident with your skills then try it. One of the frist things you will need to get is a service manual and supplement manual for your model bike. The first thing I buy when I pick up a bike is the service manual. It will cover everything you need to know. If you have never done any service before I would let the dealer do the 1k service for you. IMHO it is by far the most important service of all. They will go over everything on the bike. If you think about it you have a brand new product that went down an assembly line. You rode it for 1k now there are probably some things that have lossened up or become miss alligned. The people that do this for a living see these things everyday and know what to look for it's just not about fluid changes. I hope this helps you out.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:29:07 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, nhFLSTSFE,
 For what it's worth, I am in agreement with the advice and comments concerning your topic, with the exception of shovelhead's description of, "break-in oil."  There is no such product.  New oil is New oil!!  In the beginning, or break-in period, new metal in concert motion with new metal, produces certain contaminates, namely, metal shavings, during the process of these new parts cutting their pattern with each other.  The first lubricants, or fluids, that come in our New Motorsickles, are subject to more of these contaminates than subsequent lubricants.  Heretofore, the myth of "break-in oil", IS just that!  There endeth the lesson. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD    
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 01:13:04 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 11:32:03 AM »

I certainly agree the benefits outweigh the costs as long as your mechanic performs all the service like they were going to be the one paying  for the bike and riding it cross country.  There are others of us who may be outstanding mechanics who can perform this service as well as or better than a dealer.  However, I am cornfused about one thing.  “Break in oil”  These things claim to come factory filled with Syn3.  Is Syn3 break in oil?  If so that would explain why its so hard on gearboxes.
dkm

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 11:38:38 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Brother Dave,
 Did you not read Post #3?  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »

OOPS!  That always got me on written tests too.  Failure to read the entire question.  Darn, hate when that happens!
dkm

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 02:13:33 PM »

OOPS!  That always got me on written tests too.  Failure to read the entire question.  Darn, hate when that happens!

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Dave,
 To err is human, to forgive divine! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Don't be so hard on yourself!  We'll do that for you!! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]Later--HUBBARD  

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 02:35:42 PM »

That means alot from a fellow who knows the President!  Thanks!

Dave
dkm

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 02:41:36 PM »

it is a common thought that i use concerning this topic - i just plain use the term break in oils as the oil's that are in the components when 1st recieved and driven - its the ole term that i mistakenly use - there was such a critter as "break in lubricant" but it is not the lube that is used in todays engines - so a humble bow of head here - so the oil that is in your components and driven should be dumped at 1k to rid those components of any type of metal in an incubation stage from "newness" - be assured quite a few individuals go near 2k before draining any of this from their engine/primaries/trans - makes you want to cringe when you see this - and there is such a thing as cringing and also a thing as me with an apology to correct my "terms of language" [smiley=laugh.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 03:12:09 PM »

it is a common thought that i use concerning this topic - i just plain use the term break in oils as the oil's that are in the components when 1st recieved and driven - its the ole term that i mistakenly use - there was such a critter as "break in lubricant" but it is not the lube that is used in todays engines - so a humble bow of head here - so the oil that is in your components and driven should be dumped at 1k to rid those components of any type of metal in an incubation stage from "newness" - be assured quite a few individuals go near 2k before draining any of this from their engine/primaries/trans - makes you want to cringe when you see this - and there is such a thing as cringing and also a thing as me with an apology to correct my "terms of language" [smiley=laugh.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, shovelhead71,
 You have probably forgotten more than I know about Harley Motors.  You owe no apologies.  I welcome your input.  I'm just an @$$hole!  Ask anybody! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Deal with it! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 06:58:13 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, shovelhead71,
  You have probably forgotten more than I know about Harley Motors.  You owe no apologies.  I welcome your input.  I'm just an @$$hole!  Ask anybody! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Deal with it! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD

Damn Hubbard I just love it when you speak the truth!!!!! I just thought I would get that in before Chip saw it.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 09:29:33 PM »

Dawg

Your to fast!

Remember only Tater's friends can call him that.
That's because they know the real truth!

Chip [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 10:33:31 PM »

Chip it's not that I'm too fast you were too slow this time.

I'll bet you were out on your bike enjoying the weather and looking for a few more speed cameras!!! I know that was cruel but I been hit by DC's finest red light and speed cameras and not driving the firetruck either. Man it hurts when you have to give them back some of thier money!

I'm going to try to get some sleep we have been running the streets all day and evening. It's the first of the month ya know! You nice gentlemen play nice the rest of the night.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 04:41:17 AM »

You can go online to the harley website and there is a section about scheduled maintenance. I printed a copy for the 1K. I went into the shop one day and asked them the going rate for a 1k service and liked to fell out. Close to $300.00 parts and labor. In Houston the labor rate in the shops is $70.00 per hr. I questioned the service writer about what was done during the check even though I had the print out from Harley. This was to see if he was on his toes. A good mechanic will check everything and still make a buck. Its a hustle when your working flat rate. Its easy for them to get in a hurry and possibly miss something or not check it because ( its a new bike and only has 1000 miles on it) or for the sake of the almighty buck! Lets hope for the most part they care about  doing their jobs right.  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.