Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 1K Service  (Read 4293 times)

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
Re: 1K Service
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 05:55:58 AM »

Just had my 1K service performed yesterday. 205.47  Ouch!
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 07:18:03 AM »

My 1000 service was $00.00
Part of my less than MSRP deal

Plus the parts discount!l

Actually taking it in for the 5K service this week!

[smiley=cherry.gif]---> and the box it came in! [smiley=laugh.gif]

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 08:59:34 AM »

I looked at my owners book ,I did not see a 2500 mile service?1st one at 1000 miles next one at 5000 miles? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
hdnut

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 08:21:02 AM »

Click on the link below to see the service schedule for your motorcycle at the HD website.I hope this helps you out.  [smiley=bigok.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US&HDCWPSession=CCQ24ySxxnLSnjyhJLyLn4LvS2l9xkPlhFynyKtGp9wWFvnMNmkW!-1657106736!939643042
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 08:23:53 AM by MAVERICK »
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 09:21:10 AM »

Thank for the link Maverick. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
hdnut

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 09:04:04 PM »

$295 for my first service, and I had already changed the oil. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

I'm surprised HD uses the SYn3 in new engines, generally syn oil is not recommended for new engines until the first oil, then again Syn 3 is only about 60% synthetic.

By the way, there is such a thing as break in oil Hub, I had the "fortune" to have had to recently purchase 4 - 5gallon pails at $98 per.

http://www.frontierequip.com/service/breakinoil.htm

Here is an interesing quote from the above link

"High-quality premium engine oils should not be used as a break-in oil. The superior anti-wear characteristics of premium oils will inhibit the proper matching of components which could result in excessive oil consumption."

We have followed this theory with our Honda outboards on our towboats, regular oil until the 1st change, then Mobil 1
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 09:42:01 PM »

Boy, you just don't know who or what to believe anymore on this issue of what oil to use when and where.  The MOCO says one thing and then later says the opposite.  Us old school guys are trying to keep up and change according to the technological improvements, yet you read from two large equipment manufactors completely differing information on breaking in their engines.  Makes no sense.  I'm like shovel, just going to the corner and have a drink!  Dangit!  [smiley=furious.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 05:38:53 AM »

$295 for my first service, and I had already changed the oil. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

I'm surprised HD uses the SYn3 in new engines, generally syn oil is not recommended for new engines until the first oil, then again Syn 3 is only about 60% synthetic.

By the way, there is such a thing as break in oil Hub, I had the "fortune" to have had to recently purchase 4 - 5gallon pails at $98 per.

http://www.frontierequip.com/service/breakinoil.htm

Here is an interesing quote from the above link

"High-quality premium engine oils should not be used as a break-in oil. The superior anti-wear characteristics of premium oils will inhibit the proper matching of components which could result in excessive oil consumption."

We have followed this theory with our Honda outboards on our towboats, regular oil until the 1st change, then Mobil 1

Yea Yea Yea. Lots of marketing and sales going on out there nowdays in the land of consumers. It seems companies will try and tell you anything to sell a product. People need to be careful on how they interput the pitch. Read the fine print .
If a company wants to produce a product that they claim is specially formulated to enchance breakin or is better for breakin than conventional or synerthic oil so be it. Does break in oil really work that much better than other oils where it will make a noticable difference to the engine or rider?I coudnt tell you.  It is quite confusing this issue on oils. I have heard before that a full synthetic oil will not allow engine parts to break in properly. That was an old wives tale from about 15 years ago. With progress now days in all types of enginerring I am sure someone has designed and marketed an oil be it conventional or syntehtic that is superior to everything in the past.
Years back didnt some of the american auto manufactures start using full syntehtic oils from the factory?
With the equipment that I work on we use 100% syntethic oil from the factory. No one seems to be concearned about break in. The customers run the engines till they break and then scream warranty. Anyone one out there have a Petroluem engineering degree? Its seems that there are a lot of different views on what oil  or any other products  to use and not to use.  Choose your weapons mate. Will it be brand X, Y , Z.

I still say ride it like you stold it at least till it breaks. Then scream warranty!!

[smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 08:39:55 AM »

With the equipment that I work on we use 100% syntethic oil from the factory. No one seems to be concearned about break in. The customers run the engines till they break and then scream warranty. Anyone one out there have a Petroluem engineering degree? Its seems that there are a lot of different views on what oil  or any other products  to use and not to use.  Choose your weapons mate. Will it be brand X, Y , Z.

I still say ride it like you stold it at least till it breaks. Then scream warranty!!

[smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]

Don't have a Petroleum Engrg degree, how about an Automotive Engrg degree?  It is true that many manufacturers used "break-in" oil in the earlier days of the auto industry, but I am unaware of anyone doing so in the past 20-30 years.  In the bad ol' days, the machining tolerances were such that it really was necessary to perform a break-in routine to let the moving parts "adjust" to each other (rings seated properly, pistons "wore in" to the cylinders without scuffing, etc.).  Modern day engines do NOT require extensive break-in due to much more accurate machining and better materials.  We use the same oil at the factory that you buy at your dealership, and no longer require any special break-in routine other than avoiding towing or other extreme duty use for the first 500-1000 miles (avoid over heating).

My company uses 5W20 semi-synthetic for initial fill, and we do not see any issues with ring seating, oil consumption, etc.  As is true in many other areas of our lives, the old adages that used to be true have been superceded by technology.  As for our Harley's, there is absolutely no reason to not use a good 20W50 synthetic, even for break-in.  I personally prefer Mobil-1 and have used it for years with absolutely no problems.  I originally used the Mobil-1 15W50 in my Harley; now they offer a specific oil for air-cooled V-Twins in 20W50.  The main advantage of synthetics is their ability to handle higher temperatures without oxidation and thermal breakdown, and god knows these bikes run hot!
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 12:02:55 PM »

Don't have a Petroleum Engrg degree, how about an Automotive Engrg degree?  It is true that many manufacturers used "break-in" oil in the earlier days of the auto industry, but I am unaware of anyone doing so in the past 20-30 years.  In the bad ol' days, the machining tolerances were such that it really was necessary to perform a break-in routine to let the moving parts "adjust" to each other (rings seated properly, pistons "wore in" to the cylinders without scuffing, etc.).  Modern day engines do NOT require extensive break-in due to much more accurate machining and better materials.  We use the same oil at the factory that you buy at your dealership, and no longer require any special break-in routine other than avoiding towing or other extreme duty use for the first 500-1000 miles (avoid over heating).

My company uses 5W20 semi-synthetic for initial fill, and we do not see any issues with ring seating, oil consumption, etc.  As is true in many other areas of our lives, the old adages that used to be true have been superceded by technology.  As for our Harley's, there is absolutely no reason to not use a good 20W50 synthetic, even for break-in.  I personally prefer Mobil-1 and have used it for years with absolutely no problems.  I originally used the Mobil-1 15W50 in my Harley; now they offer a specific oil for air-cooled V-Twins in 20W50.  The main advantage of synthetics is their ability to handle higher temperatures without oxidation and thermal breakdown, and god knows these bikes run hot!

Well put GRC!Spoken like a true engineer! I coundnt have said it any better myself !

Like I said before ride it like you stold it or untill it breaks!!

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=bigok.gif]

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.