Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Exhaust Concerns  (Read 8971 times)

nhFLSTFSE

• It's time to ride
Exhaust Concerns
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:15:19 PM »

Here's a topic that should cause some concern. But first please answer my???
I recently purchased an aftermarket exhaust (V&H) but if failed(112) state decibel rating.
I prefer the aftermarket for styling & performance.  I have asked the manufacturer for assistance.  NH is suppossed to be testing more this year and my local dealer indicated only certain ones..
Does anyone know the ratings for any of these HD p/ns:
80444-03
80223-02
80390-01

Any feedback on these would help

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Exhaust Concerns
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 07:20:48 AM »

I recently purchased an aftermarket exhaust (V&H) but if failed(112) state decibel rating.
I prefer the aftermarket for styling & performance.  I have asked the manufacturer for assistance.  NH is suppossed to be testing more this year and my local dealer indicated only certain ones..
80444-03
80223-02
80390-01

NH I can't help you out on this one. I do know the Harley Screamin Eagle exhaust systems are louder than the one that came on your bike from the factory but not as loud
as most aftermarket exhaust systems. I can't believe they have noise laws that they enforce. There has to be ways around the law.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:31:14 AM »

The noise issue is a huge problem they gave 515 tickets in daytona for noise.  The motor company has made this the topic of the year.  Our local law enforcement has started to test when they pull you over.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 09:21:50 AM »

Well one thing about it I don't run drag pipes I never have and never will. The Thunder header, D&D fat kat and the true duals are a bit loud but not till you really get into it. I think the problem is the noise from the drag pipes. I just hope we don't go through this in Maryland.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 10:01:03 AM »

80444-03
80223-02
80390-01

WOW, I bet this will put a big hit on Laconia this year. I know that the 'Americade' folks
have said for years that they will not toloerate loud pipes.
I didn't have any problems with my Bassani True Dual/Thunder Cones last year. I think a lot of it is how you ride it. I agree with 'Dawg' !
But as MM has said ...the MoCo is the one setting the standard now, and we might as well get use to running a quiter system, and i agree, the boys with the 'Drag/Straight' pipes are the ones that seem to be getting the tickets.

WD
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »

I got an idea [smiley=bulb2.gif] for a new T-Shirt to sell at Laconia......................

[smiley=sauer021.gif]"GOT BAFFLES'S?" [smiley=sauer021.gif]

We don't have a "loud pipe" issue here in Ohio...........at least not yet.  [smiley=thinking2.gif]

Local cops will  ticket you though if you are just throttle jockeying to make noise. [smiley=stop.gif]

I'd run the pipes I like best and not worry about a few tickets unless it adds points on your license...........then I'd [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 02:37:19 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, nhFLSTSFE,
 I will continue to run my RINEHART'S!  With all the Commercial Vehicles with Diesels and straight pipes, Muscle Cars with Headers and "Hollywood" mufflers, Diesel Locomotives, Tug Boats, Speed Boats, Skidders, Dozers, and numerous other modes of recreational and commercial transportation, that put out buku more noise than my Harley, the powers that be can kiss my Lily White @$$!  I had my one and only citation for excessive noise dismissed by a technicality.  My exhaust system had no Leaks!  Don't roll over for these liberal bastards!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 04:35:22 PM »

Hmmmm, let's see.  Helmet laws [smiley=helmet.gif], EPA regulations [smiley=deal2.gif], the new Michigan "click it or ticket" campaign for seat belt usage in cars  [smiley=policeman.gif]and now enforcement of exhaust noise limits!!!!  

Michigan has had an off road regulation for years at 94db and are tested at enduro and off road events.  Wonder if they will try to enforce this with on-road vehicles.  Are we being over regulated or what?

Next, they'll be regulating what's in our beer [smiley=beerchug.gif].......sh#@....they already do!!!!!!!
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

MAS

• Full CVO Member
  • LO and SLO
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 10:33:40 PM »

If you find yourself on the Southern California coast be careful in Laguna Beach as they do cite motorcycles for "excessive noise". I was written up on my SEEG while cruising through town along with about 20 other bikes during the hour that I stopped for lunch. The cop told me he had a stock fat boy and did not understand  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]why people modified the exhaust and then he proceeded to explain to me almost verbatim from the Screaming Eagle catalog that my screaming eagle mufflers were for "race application" only and were illegal on public roads. Hard to argue with the truth [smiley=furious.gif]. I am just glad my town does not go out of their way to enforce this violation [smiley=laugh.gif].
05 Green FLHTCSE2
Vance and Hines Dresser Duals
SE performance mufflers Kerker Mikuni baffles
SE High flow kit
HD Race tuner
Progressive 440 shocks
02 Big Dog Bulldog

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 08:21:33 AM »

There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD   [/quote]

Amen !

'Ride Proud, Ride Loud'  [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 09:10:07 AM »

THey don't have any laws here YET in Georgia, I run SE II's but always make it a habit to ride quiet through the small towns .  If you piss people off they will legislate against you.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 11:32:49 AM »

When they stop you do they have a DB meter to read the sound level?  I wonder how the law reads?  Does it say noise level while moving, or while stopped?  Does it make a difference? Just how do they get to the point of saying your bike is too loud?  I should think they would do it by having you roll on the throttle at a stand still but I am not sure thats an accurate test of sound level.  I think there is an argument to be made for the police having to test under dynamic conditons (while the bike is being ridden down the road) as opposed to static (at a traffic stop) if this is how they are doing it.  Simply saying that a bike is too loud because there are no baffles in the pipes or because the exhaust system is marketed by the motor company for off road use should not be enough to issue a citation in my humble opinion.  The burdin of proof should be on the police.  I.e prove in a court of law that my exhaust was too loud while I was moving at the speed limit assuming I am not trying to be obnoxious with the throttle.  Can anyone from the law enforcement community share with us how the law reads in their state?
dkm

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 12:44:43 PM »

I ride with a gentleman who is an Oregon State Trooper.  He says he regularly writes folks up for excessive exhaust noise, and the only litmus test he has to pass in court is "is the exhaust noise a public disturbance"  It apparently comes under the same heading as disturbing the peace for loud car stereos and such.  He uses the law as a stick to get folks to be polite when they are in town, etc.  His comment that stuck with me was " I don't care how loud the exhuast can be, I care how loud the rider makes it and why..."  He has Hooker 2-1 headers on his bike and it's just as loud as hell, but he doesn't make a pest of himself with it, and figures if he can be quiet when he wants to, so can other folks...

If only ALL law enforcement was done with common sense like my friend applies it, eh?
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

nhFLSTFSE

• It's time to ride
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 08:49:38 AM »

First thanks to all the responses.  However, I really would like to "Not get harassed" by the cops.  I do not rev up excessively or promote noise.  I like the looks of the V&H Big radius and would like to redo baffles if they help me.
The state of NH is pushing the written laws big time this year for some reason.  The legal limit is 106
I need to know what do others have for engine size/pipes & what yours rate?  Keep in mind I have a stock FB 103 and would like to use the SE's which come closest to the limit, etc..

Thanks

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 01:08:37 AM »

There is a whole science to this sound deal. They have been trying to get a standard for years. Maybe now it exists. Things like how far away the decibel meter is placed?, what settings on the meter?(weighted or not)?, what angle? Not sure, but you failing by 6dB I doubt if the human ear could pick that up. I had bad mufflers one time went to the inspection station after loading them with steel wool balls. I passed the test. When I got on it leaving the station the steel wool shot out the back and were bouncing all over the driveway when I looked in the mirrors. Still get a smile thinking about it today.I guess I would put on quiet pipes get the sticker. Then put the "loud" pipes back on and forget about it. You could go to Radio Shack buy a cheap decibel meter and learn the science for your state requirements.
BTW it is really frustrating when the dealer that sold you the pipes fails you on the sound test.
Good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.