Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Exhaust Concerns  (Read 8945 times)

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Exhaust Concerns
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2005, 11:57:53 PM »

I brought a sound level meter home from work. Did a couple of measurements on an 04 88ci dresser with Rienharts and quiet baffles. Best I could figure the bike would pass N.H 106dB and fail Ma. as it looked to be over 96dB. Anyone out there have any kind of standards on how to actually set the test up? Distance, angles,height,rpms all have an effect on the reading even the scale settings on the meter (weghted or not , peak or average) Also wondering if there is a federal standard and if the states are different which standard would prevail. Since I been riding I hate to think about all the pipes I have gone thru. I know it would fill a small garage. Straights,baloney,slash,tapperd,shotgun,fishtail with and without baffles,bubs,Dunstall Silencers,Reinhart ,Se to name few.Never new about dyno's till a couple of years ago. Well I'm just a hobbyist and curious about taking sound level readings and looking for some standards on how to take readings. Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 01:11:29 AM »

I certainly don't know the answer to this without doing some homework (not going to happen anytime soon) but your mention of MA and NH statutory requirements being different made me wonder about something.  At first glance I'm not sure that would stand up to the Full Faith and Credit Clause.

Things that can be adjusted in response to differing state statutes are ok.  That's why one state can have a different speed limit from another or a different helmet law.  All we have to do is not twist the grip as hard or stop at the state line and pull on the hat.  But things that can't be so easily changed are generally accepted as ok if legal from the state of origin (at least for short visits).  That's why every out of state vehicle crossing in to California doesn't have to stop and bolt on a bunch of new emissions equipment.  

Since you can't be expected to stop on the side of the road and change pipes, and if you're pipes are legal "at home," I'm just not sure how well a neighboring state's stricter limit could be applied.  Of course the limit could be applied to vehicles domiciled and registered in the stricter state.  But the visitors might be a question.

Granted, it could turn both ways.  The state with the stricter limit could say you just shouldn't turn the throttle so hard as to generate the higher level of noise.  Hmmmm, interesting  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 07:03:49 AM »

Very interesting and ambiguous problem.  Complicating this situation are the states where the noise level is arbitrary on the local, county and state enforcement levels.  Here in FL, the situation is even more complicated by the near complete lack of law enforcement training regarding the "how noisy is excessive" debate.  Daytona, unbelievably is discretionary on an officer by officer basis.  The Florida Keys (Monroe County) examines the noise levels with roadblocks and the decision made by the uniformed shift commander scientifically listening to the bikes while Key West doesn't really care if you appear to have enough cash to support the local economy.  State police are a whole different matter in that it is not uncommon for bikers to be stopped in rural/non-populated areas for excessive noise at highway speeds.  Seems like the best alternative here is to have as much horsepower as you can afford and put the kickstand down somewhere in the next county when the lights come on.   [smiley=laugh.gif]

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 09:52:41 PM »

Thanks for your responses. Seems like I may have to do a little digging.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 10:06:55 PM »

I think the answer to the question is that they (the local enforcement) can do about what they want to.........ie: in the old school days at Daytona (and I'm sure other locales) you had to pass the 'nightstick test' of having a baffle stop the insertion of a police nightstick shoved up your pipe.........of course some quickly learned how to 'defeat' this with less restrictive 'stops' tacked inside the drag pipes.......Har!   [smiley=cool2.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 10:18:37 PM »

I think the answer to the question is that they (the local enforcement) can do about what they want to.........ie: in the old school days at Daytona (and I'm sure other locales) you had to pass the 'nightstick test' of having a baffle stop the insertion of a police nightstick shoved up your pipe.........of course some quickly learned how to 'defeat' this with less restrictive 'stops' tacked inside the drag pipes.......Har!   [smiley=cool2.gif]   spyder

One year at Daytona I got stopped. Had girl on the back of my 86 fxwg. She had a thong swimsuit on. From the back when she was sitting looked to have nothing on. They stopped me (I guess to check out the nekked lady) within minutes 5 or six cop cars at the "scene".
Well I had no baffles soI told the cop not even to bother with the stick. I had my mini-baffles hack sawed version. Stuck em in and another cop passed the bike. BTW nothing happened with the gal they just made her wear a towel and said thongs were not allowed in town.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 10:23:58 PM »

I found this in MA DMV FAQ section:

My motorcycle was failed for illegal pipes. What's legal?

Generally speaking, you must have a baffle in the exhaust system of a motorcycle. Straight pipes are illegal, and your motorcycle must meet certain noise requirements. For motorcycles manufactured before 1986, 102 decibels is the legal limit, 99 decibels for motorcycles manufactured after 1986.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 11:12:53 PM »

I found the reason this sound emission thing is so varied. Mainly because the Feds created a monster. All this project did was give me a headache. I did not find anything newer. But if the states are based on this and the Feds, according to rumor ,start their crap in 06 . It's not going to be pretty. Wonder what hp/torque curves the electric bikes will have? I'm done, apologize or the rant.

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cfr/40/40cfr205.htm

Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 40, Volume 16, Parts 190 to 259]
[Revised as of July 1, 1998]
[CITE: 40CFR205.174]

[Page 142-148]

TITLE 40--PROTECTION OF ENVIRONMENT

CHAPTER I--ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (CONTINUED)

PART 205--TRANSPORTATION EQUIPMENT NOISE EMISSION CONTROLS--Table of Contents

Subpart E--Motorcycle Exhaust Systems

Sec. 205.174  Remedial orders.

The Administrator may issue appropriate remedial orders to a
manufacturer if products are distributed into commerce not in compliance
with the regulations of this subpart. Potential

[[Page 143]]

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 01:25:45 AM »

Well one thing is sure, its going to get worse..In California, you can be written for "modified exhaust" be it 4 wheeler or 2, without a meter. The way you ride and your attitude go a long way in the Officers decision to give you a verbal warning or a citation. The noise limit in Ca. is 80db for m/c's made after 1985. If an officer writes you for modified exhaust you may be required to take it to a compliance station where it is checked with a meter. And, yes you can be written for having mufflers that are designated "for race use only" like the SE ones. One reason is, the factory mufflers have catalytic converters. Which is where I think they are going..emissions standards and testing like autos. It may not happen for several years (I hope) but don't throw your stock exhaust away. Just my .02

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 10:20:12 AM »

I think this is the only legal option for California (from Parts & Accessories Catalog):

Screamin' Eagle® Active Performance Muffler Kit

The best of both worlds. This street-legal exhaust system provides the horsepower and torque characteristics of Screamin' Eagle® Pro Race-Use Mufflers while maintaining EPA and CARB approved sound and emission levels. The catalyst-equipped exhaust system utilizes an electronic servo-controlled butterfly valve to alter the gas path between the left and right muffler. The integrated on-board computer measures operating conditions, and limits the exhaust flow to the left muffler to optimize performance, sound and emissions. The results are enhanced torque and horsepower throughout the operating range, and the rich, pleasing exhaust note you expect from a Harley-Davidson®. The complete system includes left and right catalyst-equipped mufflers, servo motor, cable-operated butterfly valve, plug-in on board computer with service diagnostic capabilities, left-hand heat shield, and all necessary installation hardware.

Warranty and Caution Information

65467-05

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '05 EFI Touring models (except FLHTCSE). Requires separate purchase of Screamin' Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner Kit P/N 29773-02B and two Muffler End Caps. ECM calibration is required, and dealer installation is recommended. 50 state street legal when used with stock 1450cc Twin Cam engine and Screamin' Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner Kit P/N 29773-02B.

MSRP US $699.95
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 10:23:05 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 10:29:54 AM »

I think this is the only legal option for California (from Parts & Accessories Catalog):

Screamin' Eagle® Active Performance Muffler Kit

The best of both worlds. This street-legal exhaust system provides the horsepower and torque characteristics of Screamin' Eagle® Pro Race-Use Mufflers while maintaining EPA and CARB approved sound and emission levels. The catalyst-equipped exhaust system utilizes an electronic servo-controlled butterfly valve to alter the gas path between the left and right muffler. The integrated on-board computer measures operating conditions, and limits the exhaust flow to the left muffler to optimize performance, sound and emissions. The results are enhanced torque and horsepower throughout the operating range, and the rich, pleasing exhaust note you expect from a Harley-Davidson®. The complete system includes left and right catalyst-equipped mufflers, servo motor, cable-operated butterfly valve, plug-in on board computer with service diagnostic capabilities, left-hand heat shield, and all necessary installation hardware.

Warranty and Caution Information

65467-05

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '05 EFI Touring models [bgcolor=Yellow](except FLHTCSE). [/bgcolor]Requires separate purchase of Screamin' Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner Kit P/N 29773-02B and two Muffler End Caps. ECM calibration is required, and dealer installation is recommended. 50 state street legal when used with stock 1450cc Twin Cam engine and Screamin' Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner Kit P/N 29773-02B.

MSRP US $699.95

This is not for use on the FLHTCSE bikes [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2005, 10:52:51 AM »

We have installed this system on a test bike at the shop. Dyno results are a couple hp less than the SE slip ons. It is quieter than SE but louder than stock. I am trying to find out why it won't fit on SEEG's. Sometimes what they say won't fit, actually will work. I have the V&H Pro pipe and am very happy with it. I will stick with it until they require us to smog our bikes ( [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]) I hope that is a long way off.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 11:46:19 AM »

My guess is that H-D didn't spend the money to certify this system on anything other than the TC88 (compliance testing for the EPA is not cheap).  Physically, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't fit.  Perhaps the higher flow on the 103 would throw off the electronic controller?????
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 03:13:50 PM »

My guess is that H-D didn't spend the money to certify this system on anything other than the TC88 (compliance testing for the EPA is not cheap).  Physically, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't fit.  Perhaps the higher flow on the 103 would throw off the electronic controller?????

The physical mountings are the same.  So I'd never assumed a physical fitment issue.  But the ECM's instructions for our 103s are different.  So I'd always assumed they'd just not been mapped to play well together.

nhFLSTFSE

• It's time to ride
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 10:29:14 PM »

Here's what I found while searching the web...
HB 326 – AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE

23Mar2005… 0577h

06/09/05 1785s

2005 SESSION

05-0095

03/09

HOUSE BILL 326

AN ACT relative to motorcycle noise levels and mufflers.

SPONSORS: Rep. M. Blanchard, Rock 16; Rep. Pantelakos, Rock 16; Rep. Bicknell, Rock 1; Rep. Weare, Rock 14; Rep. Langley, Rock 18; Sen. Fuller Clark, Dist 24; Sen. Green, Dist 6

COMMITTEE: Transportation

AMENDED ANALYSIS

This bill clarifies that a person may not operate a motor vehicle with a straight pipe exhaust system. This bill also establishes fines for operating a motor vehicle with a straight pipe exhaust system and for exceeding permissible motorcycle noise levels.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]

Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

23Mar2005… 0577h

06/09/05 1785s

05-0095

03/09

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Five

AN ACT relative to motorcycle noise levels and mufflers.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 New Paragraph; Equipment of Vehicles; Prevention of Noise; Exhaust Modifications. Amend RSA 266:59 by inserting after paragraph III the following new paragraph:

IV. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a straight pipe exhaust system; “straight pipe exhaust system” means any straight-through exhaust system that does not contain baffles or otherwise does not meet the definition of muffler in RSA 259:66. Any person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 for a first offense, not less than $250 for a second offense in a calendar year, and not less than $500 for a third or subsequent offense in a calendar year.

2 Motorcycle Noise Levels; Fines. Amend RSA 266:59-a, III to read as follows:

III. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $300.

3 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2006.

Hmmm..?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.