Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: WTF? 110 vs stock 96er  (Read 6075 times)

motoman

WTF? 110 vs stock 96er
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:04:41 AM »

So yesterday i'm out riidng with my brother in law and I'm on my 07 fxstc with 110 kit and thunderheader exhaust and he's on his brand new 08 nightrain with only stage 1 kit in it. I would have expected to walk away from him but to my surprise (and a little anger;-) he was right with me though 4 gears! How is this possible? I have 14 cubic inches more, a pipe, etc vs a stocker. His bike is 18lbs lighter but I dont think that would make up for the other differences. I'm very dissapointed especially since I just had this frigging kit installed in my dads softail. Then I found this site and all the info on the 110's...

Thoughts? I only have the warrantied kit, (255 cams, 9.3.1 compression,etc)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: WTF? 110 vs stock 96er
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:17:04 AM »

Obviously we'd need to know more to be sure, but I'd start looking at the fuel tuning with the ECM. All the flow in the world won't help if you don't get the right mix in, at the right time, in the right volume.  I'm sure if you look at some of the threads in the forum you'll find lots of recomendations on products and vendors and tuners who could get some more snot out of it for you.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

motoman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »

Thanks, i did have the local hd dealer who did the work dyno when they installed the race tuner. I was very surprised that the 96 inch stocker was right with me. Shouldnt this kit make a little more difference?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:59:30 AM »

The attachment is what Harley claims for the 110 kit versus a completely stock 96 incher.  Assuming equal bike and rider weight, and equal gearing(?), I think your expectation is valid.  Seems like you should pull him from the git-go.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

motoman

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:37:32 AM »

Thats what I thought. We have identical gearing. Would it help if I posted my dyno sheet?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »

I've seen this.. and it's all in the tunning.. your 110 is not up to par.. But also, you mentioned he kept right up with you, so you were in the lead right?? Betcha he coulndt have passed you  :nervous:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:59:44 AM by sportygordy »

motoman

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:44 AM »

Your right he couldnt pass me but he never left my side and I never pulled from him, if I got the jump i maintained it but thats it. As far as tuning, is it reasonable to assume the hd dealer didnt perform an adequate tuning on the dyno? Is this normal to have such a slight performance gain from this mod?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »

A well tuned 96" runs very well, so does a 110". Line up in a drag race and you'll pull him on the line but he will pretty much stay on your tail. The 96" does a good job staying with the pack, but they aint gona pass ya. If you want that 'real bad ass power' you're goona have to really go to town on that 110 or go the JIMs 120 or 130... Then you'll leave em in the pack.

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1981 FXSS
    • CVO2: 1983 FXRT
    • Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »

Your right he couldnt pass me but he never left my side and I never pulled from him, if I got the jump i maintained it but thats it. As far as tuning, is it reasonable to assume the hd dealer didnt perform an adequate tuning on the dyno? Is this normal to have such a slight performance gain from this mod?

Yes, it is reasonable to assume they put a canned map in and maybe tweeked it a little if they did any dyno tuning at all.  There are lots of factors but it sounds like tuning is the biggest one at the moment.

motoman

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

With the warranty and all I dont want to mess with it to void it, but this is pathetic. I wish I had found this forum before because I wouldnt have put 110 kits in either of our bikes. Ok so I have a 7 year total warranty and a bunch of spare parts. I was contemplating three possible options:

1. Take spare heads and send them to be reworked to work with existing 255 cams (though i'm sure I wont see any major improvement?) and 9.3 compression pistons. Might be an easy swap of heads to return to warrantyable condition.

2. Take spare heads to be reworked in combination with swapping out pistons and cams (more expensive to swap back to stock in the event of needing warranty work)

3. Shut up and ride as is stock and keep getting called a clam from brother-in-law thats proud of hell that his bone stock nighttrain almost beats me even though he spent 4K less...

Ok so what would you recommend and why?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »

With the warranty and all I dont want to mess with it to void it, but this is pathetic. I wish I had found this forum before because I wouldnt have put 110 kits in either of our bikes. Ok so I have a 7 year total warranty and a bunch of spare parts. I was contemplating three possible options:

1. Take spare heads and send them to be reworked to work with existing 255 cams (though i'm sure I wont see any major improvement?) and 9.3 compression pistons. Might be an easy swap of heads to return to warrantyable condition.

2. Take spare heads to be reworked in combination with swapping out pistons and cams (more expensive to swap back to stock in the event of needing warranty work)

3. Shut up and ride as is stock and keep getting called a clam from brother-in-law thats proud of hell that his bone stock nighttrain almost beats me even though he spent 4K less...

Ok so what would you recommend and why?

I would choose option two, because you won't see much improvement with option one, and option three would be unacceptable....

That aside, I did option two myself...see this thread... http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=16799.0
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »

Thats what I thought. We have identical gearing. Would it help if I posted my dyno sheet?

Yeah, let's see the dyno sheet, especially if it has the AFR on it.

If the dyno sheet looks suspect, I think I'd spend the $300 or $400 to get a good tune in it and see if it produces a different result the next time you line 'em up with your b-in-l before spending the money for your options #1 or #2.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »

I'm a little surprised with that graph - especially with those 110" numbers. My 95" stock did 80HP/90TQ, and while I now have an open Heavy Breather filter, and Power Commander, my Big Radius didn't exactly help much, so I'm just a bit over those numbers. However, no 96" has a prayer of keeping up with me, unless it's in a mini-bike. Certainly, the driver skills makes a huge impact, but every 96" that's come next to me has been thrashed. I can just pull a 103" Fat Boy, but would expect to see the rear of a 110" Springer.

As such, I would suggest finding someone who really knows how to make a custom dyno tune. John Golden at Rolling Thunder did mine, and he's about the best out there. I do know finding someone who really know how to tune with a RT is pretty tough.

The other thing I will mention is the Thunderheader is well known for having a big hole in the bottom end. Great on top, but low end takes a hit. I think Gooden said the best pipes he's ever dyno'd was a two into one White Bros.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »

its not just the bike , but rider exp. too, switch bikes and see what happens!!!! :jalapeno:....no pun intended..
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »

So yesterday i'm out riidng with my brother in law and I'm on my 07 fxstc with 110 kit and thunderheader exhaust and he's on his brand new 08 nightrain with only stage 1 kit in it. I would have expected to walk away from him but to my surprise (and a little anger;-) he was right with me though 4 gears! How is this possible? I have 14 cubic inches more, a pipe, etc vs a stocker. His bike is 18lbs lighter but I dont think that would make up for the other differences. I'm very dissapointed especially since I just had this frigging kit installed in my dads softail. Then I found this site and all the info on the 110's...

Thoughts? I only have the warrantied kit, (255 cams, 9.3.1 compression,etc)

Get rid of the Thunderheader. They have low torque on bottom end & better suited to older models with carb. I had a Thunderheader on my 04 95"er for about a week. Put a V&H pro Pipe on it and a world of differance. THE MUFFMAN
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.