Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Victory Motorcycles  (Read 14259 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Victory Motorcycles
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »

Since I'm bikeless at the moment, but always thinking and reading about different bikes out there, Suzanne and I went by the Victory dealer yesterday afternoon just to kill some time.  I was particularly interested in seeing the Kingpin Tour (Roadking equivalent), and yes, The Vision.

First of all, the shop is managed by an old school Harley Rider, who also builds customs based on the Victory platform.  I am going to have to tell everyone that I am VERY impressed with every model of the Victory bikes.  Seeing the Vision in person, and actually sitting on one...it may very well be my next motorcycle...perhaps in Arlen Ness mode.  They've also got a 10th anniversary edition coming out, but only 100 being made, so you won't see many, and have to get in a drawing for them.  It's their CVO model, and has a LOT of features that actually work, like Garmin GPS unit, Ipod connection, adjustable windshield.  It's really a nice bike.  Won't tip over either.  Lower seat height than any other touring bike on the market.  With a 29" inseam, my feet were almost flat on the floor with Merrels on, not boots.  Riding position is dead on...comfortable seat for both rider and passenger.  Removable TP to make it a Street version.

The engines are built out of quality American components.

I'm interested...of course, I'll not be able to do anything until next spring, at the earliest, but these bikes are leading the pack in my mind at this point in time.  And I won't have to put another 15K in it to make it the way I want it.  Already has very good suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, functions and features, seat.  VERY comfortable!!  Suzanne REALLY liked the Vision, and I'll have to say that the flow of the lines is growing on me.  Really a well thought out design, despite it's "against the grain" looks.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Victory Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »

Terry, I don't remember if I mentioned it here or while talking to someone elsewhere, but a couple months ago I rode a Vision.  Just a short in town ride.  But enough to realize that everything seem to "fit" real well.  The bike seemed initially comfortable.  The layout for all the several controls was obvious and functional.  And the bike handled and ran pretty darn well.  I was more impressed than I'd expected to be.

The vision of the Vision is still hard for me to swallow.  It still looks like the alien critter from the "Independence Day" movie.  But if someone else's tastes appreciated the visual the functional sure seemed like a good bike.

MikeD

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »

I saw a really cool blacked out Victory yesterday, the only chrome where the aftermarket pipes.  Black wheels too, looked really aggressive.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »

Since I'm bikeless at the moment, but always thinking and reading about different bikes out there, Suzanne and I went by the Victory dealer yesterday afternoon just to kill some time.  I was particularly interested in seeing the Kingpin Tour (Roadking equivalent), and yes, The Vision.

First of all, the shop is managed by an old school Harley Rider, who also builds customs based on the Victory platform.  I am going to have to tell everyone that I am VERY impressed with every model of the Victory bikes.  Seeing the Vision in person, and actually sitting on one...it may very well be my next motorcycle...perhaps in Arlen Ness mode.  They've also got a 10th anniversary edition coming out, but only 100 being made, so you won't see many, and have to get in a drawing for them.  It's their CVO model, and has a LOT of features that actually work, like Garmin GPS unit, Ipod connection, adjustable windshield.  It's really a nice bike.  Won't tip over either.  Lower seat height than any other touring bike on the market.  With a 29" inseam, my feet were almost flat on the floor with Merrels on, not boots.  Riding position is dead on...comfortable seat for both rider and passenger.  Removable TP to make it a Street version.

I'm interested...of course, I'll not be able to do anything until next spring, at the earliest, but these bikes are leading the pack in my mind at this point in time.  And I won't have to put another 15K in it to make it the way I want it.  Already has very good suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, functions and features, seat.  VERY comfortable!!  Suzanne REALLY liked the Vision, and I'll have to say that the flow of the lines is growing on me.  Really a well thought out design, despite it's "against the grain" looks.
Is the Vision the big road bike with bags and trunk? By any chance did you get to take it for a ride , would love to hear about how it handled . I'm still not sure about it's looks , but every time I see one it seams less odd.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

My neighbour bought an 8 Ball last week, he's not fully licenced yet, so I will be riding it home for him on Thursday.

I went with him in the initial stages of purchase... they have some really neat options.

Best point... one oil only, not three!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »

My Nephew has a King Pin Tour and loves it.  He's a die-hard Victory person. The styling of the Victorys, Vision excepted, have always caught my eye, especially the Arlen/Cory Ness models.  I've seen a few of the Visions on the road and still haven't changed my opinion of their looks yet.  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Victorys are well put together motorcycles and their reliability appears to be outstanding and they put out some serious horsepower and torque.  I was seriously thinking of getting a Victory Ness special when the new dealership opened in town, but unfortunately, the dealership only lasted for about a 2 months and it was shut down.  Now the nearest Victory dealership is about 65 miles away.  That's the problem with Victory around here.  Just not enough dealerships around. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »

Terry

A few thoughts,

1)  Your a newbie to the nuts and bolts of a Victory I take it? IMO take a newbie to the Harley store and the response will be about the same.
The response being these new Harley's are cool!

2)  The engines are built out of quality American parts. Was it the sales guy that told you that or someone else wanting you to buy one. Go to that same Harley store the newbie went to. I'm sure you will hear, "Our bikes are made out of quality American parts right here in York Pa."

3)  As far as not spending another 15K on a Victory to get it the way you want it, that is all personal taste. I would imagine there are people on this site with a stock 06 SEUC that are perfectly happy with theirs. There are also people on this site that have spent way more than you did on your. Each to their own I say!

So I guess I'm glad your out looking, at least that means you still have the desire.
If your really impressed with these bikes then I suggest you find a Victory forum where the real truth is told.
A forum just like this one where owners are dedicated to their bikes even though for some of them it's a love-hate relationship. There you will discover what's these machines are about and what parts are really made in the USA and what isn't.

I wish you luck with whatever you wind up with and look forward to riding with you again soon!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »

Terry

A few thoughts,

1)  Your a newbie to the nuts and bolts of a Victory I take it? IMO take a newbie to the Harley store and the response will be about the same.
The response being these new Harley's are cool!

2)  The engines are built out of quality American parts. Was it the sales guy that told you that or someone else wanting you to buy one. Go to that same Harley store the newbie went to. I'm sure you will hear, "Our bikes are made out of quality American parts right here in York Pa."

3)  As far as not spending another 15K on a Victory to get it the way you want it, that is all personal taste. I would imagine there are people on this site with a stock 06 SEUC that are perfectly happy with theirs. There are also people on this site that have spent way more than you did on your. Each to their own I say!

So I guess I'm glad your out looking, at least that means you still have the desire.
If your really impressed with these bikes then I suggest you find a Victory forum where the real truth is told.
A forum just like this one where owners are dedicated to their bikes even though for some of them it's a love-hate relationship. There you will discover what's these machines are about and what parts are really made in the USA and what isn't.

I wish you luck with whatever you wind up with and look forward to riding with you again soon!

SBB

D@mn!  All I have to say is . . . that's a good post right there! :shocked2:  :2vrolijk_21:

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »

I did a test ride on a Vision and even got the Tee shirt (I don't wear it in public).  I just didn't like it.  It might be better with breather, pipes, tuning, etc., but I just didn't feel the torque.  The saddle bags and tour pack didn't seem to have as much room as an Ultra Classic.  I just came away with a real negative feel about the whole experience.  I've only ridden one Gold Wing in the last few years, but I'd take a Gold Wing over the Vision IMHO.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 07:03:55 PM »

Terry, I don't remember if I mentioned it here or while talking to someone elsewhere, but a couple months ago I rode a Vision.  Just a short in town ride.  But enough to realize that everything seem to "fit" real well.  The bike seemed initially comfortable.  The layout for all the several controls was obvious and functional.  And the bike handled and ran pretty darn well.  I was more impressed than I'd expected to be.

The vision of the Vision is still hard for me to swallow.  It still looks like the alien critter from the "Independence Day" movie.  But if someone else's tastes appreciated the visual the functional sure seemed like a good bike.

It was raining, so couldn't get a test ride, but the intitial feel of the bike was good.  Very balanced, and the bars and controls were right where I need them to be.  The seat was firm enough, it seems, and Diva's portion was nice and roomy, even on the "street" version, without the TP, only a nice backrest.  Looks....well, it's one of those things where the more I look at it, the better I like it.  But that is always a personal thing.  Love the way a SEUC or SEEG looks, but the Vision, though completely different, has an appeal to my eye as well, especially on the profile side...everything flows.  The Kingpin felt good as well, though the saddlebags are a bit smallish.

Regarding the motors...that's something I'll have to look into more deeply, though the description of the cylinders and crank I got impressed me, as did the oil cooling/oil pump configuratation.  Gear driven primary side is attractive as well.  Throttle response in the showroom was more like the Vrod...quick to rev.  This one had a Stage 1 set of exhausts, and though relatively quiet at idle, had a pretty good growl when you pop the throttle.  5 quarts of the same oil takes care of everything.  Very little fork dive when you lock the front brake down and try to make it do so.  Monoshock rear, air adjustable.  TP goes on and off with just a few bolts.  HID headlight (at least on the one I sat on), nice stereo system.  Only thing that really turned me off was the master/clutch cylinders on the bars, and they were painted silver...those would have to be chrome billet.  180x16 rear, and 130x18 front....nice wheels, looks like good brakes.

The thing is, I'll never be able to afford another CVO, unless it was a used one, and then I'd end up spending a chit load of money on it to get it to fit me and ride the way I want a bike to ride/handle.  Unless I lucked up and got one already done.  But with the prices of the new bikes heading closer to 40K, I've got to look at other options.  Thus far, they include another Duck MTS, a Beemer K1200GT; am going to look at the Yamaha/Kaw offerings in sport tourers.  My CVO days are likely over with, as it is unlikely I'll ever get my income back to where it was, and nobody is going to leave me anything but a funeral bill, so I'll stretch, but can't stretch into the 35K range...got to stay in the 18 to 25.  Hell it doesn't matter, as long as I enjoy the ride.  When I had the HD, I could've cared less what somebody else was riding, even a Gold Wing.  I'd do the Vision before I went that route though.

Arlen Ness has a Vision out with his name on it, and the paint on it looks damn good.  I was also very impressed with the paint on all the Victory bikes, and they all have a nice flow from the tank, to the seat.  Motors look good sitting in them as well.  A few odds and ends, like the rear brake master, did not impress.  And a few other trinkets, but Ness offers nice peices for replacement.

Ya'll won't kick me out if I ride up on a Vision next year, will ya?   ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »

Verbal abuse must be tolerated to ride one  ;D
I rode one and liked it.....shiite did I just out myself? 

Wait, I like motorcycles in general.

I rode with my pal today on his brand spankin 2 day old new 1300 HiyaBuezee...He wheelie by me at 80.
I told him at least it is orange and black...but to stop revving it at stop lights....it sounds stupid...

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »

Only if you have a white stripe on the tread section of the tire.
We care to much for you to let that happen again!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »

Of course not.  At least not if you promise to let a friend take it for a little spin.  I'll trade ya rides one day.

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »

Terry,

Looking forward to riding with you again.  (On whatever you happen to call your ride at the time!)  Good luck Terry and keep us posted on what's going on.

Craig

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »

Terry,  No matter what you ride, you'll always be welcome.  I hope you and Diva are able to get back in the saddle soon. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.853 seconds with 22 queries.