Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idle Speed  (Read 4190 times)

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
Idle Speed
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:58:35 AM »

I was wondering what is the typical idle speed for a 103 motor. Mine seems to idle too low after it is warm. 900 rpm or so. Is it adjustable outside of ECM?
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
Re: Idle Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:01:47 AM »

around 1,000

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:55:07 AM »

The specification is 1000 rpm, plus/minus 50 rpm.  There is no user adjustment (don't mess with the throttle stop screw, it won't work and it will create other issues).  Your dealer can reset idle speed electronically, per the H-D service manuals.

By the way, mine also idles very slow.  I've been told that the Stage 1 map will correct it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet (air cleaner and mufflers ordered, due in next Monday).
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 11:11:26 AM »

Mine runs about 1000 after its warmed up as well, A little higher when cold

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 01:15:18 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, osmacat,
 My "BIG MOTOR" idles @ 1250 at first start up, then settles down to 1100 RPM.  No, you cannot adjust your idle speed manually.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 02:02:23 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh Hub,

Over here in Ohio we can manually adjust idle speed by turning the throttle. There endth the lesson! [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 03:57:55 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh Hub,

Over here in Ohio we can manually adjust idle speed by turning the throttle. There endth the lesson! [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Fatboy,
 You have just been selected for the "Azzholes of Harleydom!"  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] You will be notified by certified mail, as to the date you will be a contestant.  A spin-off of the "There Is One In Every Crowd", show, you were chosen as a result of your comments to a "Fellow Azzhole", known as HUBBARD. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Good Luck, and Congratulations! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--"Tater"        
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 04:20:26 PM »

My softy idles around 16 on the choke and settles down to 11 to 13 after it warms up, but the idle is still very rough...  My mechanic fella tells me it has something to do with the little cam thingies...  But like they say in Ohio, I can smooth out that idle with the throttle... but then I get wheel hop...  guess i need a tune-up? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 01:41:26 AM »

The Idle speed is set through the ECM.  However, if the bike is sitting in traffic, the idle will drop to as low as 800 rpm as part of the Heat Management strategy built into the ECM.  The idle can be adjusted by the dealer using a computer, and everyone else is correct, do not adjust a Delphi bike manually - the throttle stop doesn't set the idle.  Also, the tachs are not always dead nuts on.  It might read a tad lower or higher than actual.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:32 PM »

Dealer is going to reset the idle on Monday.
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 05:46:24 AM »

The specification is 1000 rpm, plus/minus 50 rpm.  There is no user adjustment (don't mess with the throttle stop screw, it won't work and it will create other issues).  Your dealer can reset idle speed electronically, per the H-D service manuals.

By the way, mine also idles very slow.  I've been told that the Stage 1 map will correct it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet (air cleaner and mufflers ordered, due in next Monday).

GRC I was at a Rally in Austin Texas a few weeks ago and stopped into the Harley shop and thought that it was a good idea to install a stage one map. Too my surprise the parts department was clueless and the service department told me that they got the map from the Internet  based on the Vin numeber of the motorcycle and my 2005 SE2 had the latest one. All I wanted to do was raise the REV limiter which can be done with the RACE TUNER ONLY.
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 07:20:38 AM »

GRC I was at a Rally in Austin Texas a few weeks ago and stopped into the Harley shop and thought that it was a good idea to install a stage one map. Too my surprise the parts department was clueless and the service department told me that they got the map from the Internet  based on the Vin numeber of the motorcycle and my 2005 SE2 had the latest one. All I wanted to do was raise the REV limiter which can be done with the RACE TUNER ONLY.

The Stage I map will also raise the rev limiter.  When you're back again tell the shop to try the map with HD part number 32926-03B.  It'll give an application of of FLHRSEI/FLHTCSE Stage 1 '03-LATER.  Should cost about $150.00.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.