Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Have you experienced (saw or heard of) this kind of front tire wear?  (Read 5042 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Have you experienced (saw or heard of) this kind of front tire wear?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

Well I'd say that's the answer.........but I've gone around in circles all my life.  Nothing new there. :-\

Thanks Ernie.  I picked up a set of tires yesterday off Craig's list.  150 miles on them before he changed wheels so I got the tires at a steal.

Glad to hear you are feeling well enough to be wearing tires down.. :2vrolijk_21:

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »

Glad to hear you are feeling well enough to be wearing tires down.. :2vrolijk_21:

Dido!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »

Thanks guys.  The pain is gone......don't know if I'll ever walk right, again.  But as long as the pain is gone, I'm grateful. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 11:11:40 PM »

Same question posed in the Aug. issue of Rider mag. Pg. 84. Bottom line is a couple of things: 1) road crown and 2) longer sight lines on left hand turns equates to higher speeds in the lefties therefore more wear. Goes on to say that in previous days m.c. tires were able to be turned around to even out the wear.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »

Same question posed in the Aug. issue of Rider mag. Pg. 84. Bottom line is a couple of things: 1) road crown and 2) longer sight lines on left hand turns equates to higher speeds in the lefties therefore more wear. Goes on to say that in previous days m.c. tires were able to be turned around to even out the wear.

I read about both of those scenarios in the article where the link is provided above, by Vanamal.  However, if either of those hold true, then it would be happening to everybody on all their front tires and not just a few people once or twice in their life.

This is the first time that this has happened for me.  Also, Ernie mentions San Jose JC (many of the Nor Cal members of this site know him even though he's not a member of this site) had this same thing happen on his previous front tire (he's riding a regular Road Glide) but not on this one.  So far, no theory makes any sense.  I'm at the point now where I can't wait to get the next front tire on it, just to see if it happens again. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

stsse07

• 2007 SES

• CVO1: Springer 2007
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 01:51:56 AM »

My front tire is worn on the left side of the tire (from center) much more than it is on the left.

Stopped by the dealership when I got back in town today.  Service Manager acknowledged that he's seen four or five of these in the past six to nine months and they've all been on the left side.  He went on to say that he doesn't know what's causing it but that he's been told two things.......I-5 and Hwy. 99 road work is resulting in a higher crown sloap......and that the Dunlops are being made of a softer compound.

The first excuse is void cause I live off of Hwy. 50 and work in Folsom (Hwy. 50) and very rarely travel the 5 or 99 corrider.  But if that were the case, there's more than four or five riders that live off of those two freeways.  Secondly, if it were a softer compound.....that certainly doesn't tell me why the tire is wearing on the left side of center (like the camber is off, on a four wheeled vehicle).

Anybody saw or heard of this?

I've the same problem with my springer except it's on front right side where the brakes are....Have maybe 1000 miles left before going to third front tire.  My dealer said I've got to either quit turning right or going in right handed circles...The roads are not the issue...Hwy 1 commute for me....I've been told in another post could be alignment in front is off, or front to rear alignment is off..Can let go the the bars and bike rides true...No pulling to right like in a car that needs alignment....It's a motorcycle though....

jug-head

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »

Every motorcycle I've owned wore the left side of the tire more. Must be from makeing U-turns when I get lost.

jug-head

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 06:26:08 AM »

Every motorcycle I've owned wore the left side of the tire more. Must be from makeing U-turns when I get lost
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.