Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: '09 110 Leaking Oil at 1,000 miles  (Read 7670 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: '09 110 Leaking Oil at 1,000 miles
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »

Thought I'd update... cleaning the heavy breather solved the problem.  Not a drop since...  :apple: Fingers crossed and looking forward to the 09 110 as a solid engine.  Of course the extended warranty is on my must do list!

Keep driving it and keep an eye on it. It may be excessive blow by during break in. The MOCO may be using different piston/ ring combos that take time to seat. It may also have had too much oil in the bike from jump street. Too much oil will cause this problem till the level gets to where the bike likes it. They are all different.

One thing for sure it is not the dreaded head/base gasket leaks from the past!!!!

Good luck.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 08:52:59 AM »

Hi,

I have just had a similar problem, my 2007 CVO Road King has just had a 1000 mile service (bought it a month ago and had it
serviced to make sure all was OK).

Anyway, there I was on my first bike run for over 30years with three mates and my gleaming blue bike...............
After a stint at about 60mph in 5th gear, the neutral light came on and then dimmed in and out so I pulled over.

As soon as I stopped, the bit vibrated very badly - could hardly hold the handlebars. Killed the engine and saw oil
all over the left side of the engine - lots of smoke from it burning too.

It appeared to come from somewhere around the oil cooler/filter and was also dripping out of the aircleaner.

Bike ambulance back to the dealer and wait for diagnosis.................... :nixweiss:

Anyone have any ideas as I am somewhat clueless about modern bikes. My last ride was a 1973 Norton Commando!

Many thanks............

Others have had similar failures with early production '07 CVO110 engines.  Look at the left front of the engine where the crankshaft position sensor is bolted to the case (just behind and to the left of the oil filter) and see if that isn't broken and allowing oil to blow out.   The crankshaft can shift out of true and allow the left flywheel to hit the sensor.  If that is what you have, you're looking at a major repair, either a full teardown and crank replacement or a complete engine depending on how much other damage has been done.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »

Hi Jerry,

Many thanks for your advice..............Cannot check now because the bike was delivered to
the dealer........

Thankfully, it is still under warranty!
I am based in Singapore and when I mentioned the recall re head gaskets the dealer sounded surprised.

Anyway, I will let you know what happens................just gonna drown my sorrows - and pride (the others all had BMW GS1200s)  :-[
in a glass or five of a nice single malt whiskey. :drink:

Take care now..............

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »

Hi Jerry,
Well I saw the Service Manager today.
He says he will fit the recall kit.  I told him that the gaskets were not leaking
but was told it had to be done - along with three others.

As to the original problem, I mentioned the crankshaft problem and that I wanted it checked.
He did not appear enthused and said it may be the oil cooler or the sensor.  He did not see the need
to strip the motor down to take measurements.

We will see how we go. He will get back to me when he has had a chance to look at the motor..........

Cheers.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 11:38:51 AM »

If it is the crank sensor he needs to check CRANK RUN OUT!!!!! That will tell if there is a real problem or not.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 02:25:04 AM »

Hi DAWG,

Well I went to see about my bike today........the dealer said oil was pouring out from the sensor!
They have taken photos to forward to Harley for a decision on how to proceed.

At least the dealer did the right thing.......he did say it may take a while though........

So you were spot on mate............am I a fully fledged member of the 110 Crank Club now?

Take care.......

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 02:30:58 AM »

Hi Jerry,

Just to let you know......your diagnosis was spot on.
Dealer has sent photos of the leak and sensor to Harley
for a directive on how to proceed.

Take care..........

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 05:18:07 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, the black cross bracket that goes between the heads to hold the outboard end of the TB gets removed when installing the SE AC. ('08 SE touring only, maybe '08 SE Dyna, not sure) The bracket holds the TB stable because the rear of the plastic AC box on the '08 SE touring bikes does not have any support.

On the new SE AC, the rear aluminum round bracket mounting plate bolts up to the breather points on the heads and then also supports the outboard mounting for the TB.

When you remove the black cross brace on an '08 the new SE rear bracket mount takes it's place.  When this is done the o-rings in the new SE bracket mate nicely to the head bosses; no leaks for me and not rework on any part.

The black cross brace is now of the of the "extra" original parts in a box in the basement.  I believe the '07 touring bikes used the SE rear aluminum bracket mounting plate as stock and all you needed was a new filter element.  On the '08s that cost us $150.00..

It's been a while since I did my SE AC, but I'm quite sure that's how it worked.

This is exactly what I did and it stopped the problem !!
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.