Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 2927 times)

Skippy620

Oil Leak
« on: July 11, 2005, 01:21:04 AM »

I have a 05 SEEG with some internal engine mods and all of a sudden I have developed a oil leak.
After a hour or so riding oil starts coming out of the rear cylinder head vent into my carb and air cleaner. (bike has Stage 1 air cleaner kit)
Any ideas ?

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:28:59 AM »

If you have a 05 SEEG how does it have a carburator?I thought the bikes were fuel injected?  [smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

Skippy620

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:08:34 PM »

Maverick - "ok" wrong term .... should be Throttle Body

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 11:12:01 AM »

Sounds like a chunk of gunk in the flapper in the vent in the head...   My old softy did that a while back, and, (being the lazy bum that I are), I ran about 3 quarts of ATF into the crank case, (after removing three quarts of oil), drove it around real easy for an hour or so, and did the drain and fill with real oil, and the problem went away.  Sounded screwy to start with, but it did a great job of cleaning out the goop in the crank case, and was a lot easier than pulling the rocker boxes apart to play with the crank vents...
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

AllPork

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:16:11 PM »

Skippy,
Just curious....Do you still have your SERK?

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »

Sounds like a chunk of gunk in the flapper in the vent in the head...   My old softy did that a while back, and, (being the lazy bum that I are), I ran about 3 quarts of ATF into the crank case, (after removing three quarts of oil), drove it around real easy for an hour or so, and did the drain and fill with real oil, and the problem went away.  Sounded screwy to start with, but it did a great job of cleaning out the goop in the crank case, and was a lot easier than pulling the rocker boxes apart to play with the crank vents...

I'd advise against substituting ATF for 20-50 in your motor.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 11:24:30 AM »

I'd advise against substituting ATF for 20-50 in your motor.

Wow, I've done that in a 40% mix (two quarts out of five) in some old automobile engines but as a 75% mix?  Whewww, that's some thinness going on there  [smiley=nervous.gif]

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 12:48:24 PM »

ITS PRETTY COMMON FOR THE S/E FILTER TO LEAK.  after riding hard for a while the blow by goes into bottom of filter via that black hose. i switched to a arlen ness big sucker filter where the blow by enters right into throttle body

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 09:42:11 PM »

How much oil are you trying to run with.  If you are constantly trying to top off the oil much above the minimum on the stick, your engine may just be telling you it likes to run with a little less.  Does the problem stop and the oil level stabalize anywhere above the min level?  My 103 will blow oil out the breather everytime I add oil over about 1/4 inch above the min level and when I don't add oil it stays there just fine. This has been true since I got it and was reinforced after the 1k change when the dealer put more than that in it.  It has run 1800 miles since without any loss in oil after the first 100 or so miles it took to blow out the excess and find its own level.

A basic suggestion but maybe it helps?  JP  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 11:06:11 PM »

Just a reminder, the "Full" mark on the dipstick is the MAXIMUM level with the oil HOT.  If you are filling or checking the oil at something less than max oil temp, never fill past the halfway point between the full and add marks.  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 08:06:48 AM »

Question:  On a 'bagger' (lower oil bag), how quickly after you shut the motor down are you suppose to check the oil lever for a accurate reading?  And how much does the angle of the bike on jiffy stand make a difference on the reading?   ie:  level ground, lowered bike, etc.?  These new (to me) geezer-glides are a mystery on this oil deal.  Har!  [smiley=laugh.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 08:44:28 AM »

Spy,

I believe H-D says to wait a minute after shutting it down, but in reality it isn't necessary.  Since this is a dry sump engine, there is no "drain down" of oil after you shut the engine off, other than the little bit of oil on the dipstick and the filler tube.  The angle on the jiffy stand is figured into the design of the dipstick, so unless you make a really radical change to the angle of the bike there should be no real issue.  One thing that you should do, however, is to let the bike idle for a couple of minutes to let the oil pump scavenge all of the excess oil out of the engine and into the pan before checking the level.

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 09:42:16 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

schreijo

• Strength and Honor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 05:02:24 PM »

Does anyone have a fix for the oil blowing out the air cleaner?  I had the Harley dealer adjust the black hoses inside the air box but I still get oil blowing out when I am running over 3000 RPM.  

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 05:13:52 PM »

Does anyone have a fix for the oil blowing out the air cleaner?  I had the Harley dealer adjust the black hoses inside the air box but I still get oil blowing out when I am running over 3000 RPM.  

Try a little less oil in the pan. It has been reported that some bikes like a little less. If they are full it blows into the AC

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 10:05:04 PM »

Arlan Ness big sucker will take care oil blow by if lowering your oil level does not work.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.