Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: another moco letter to cvo owners - DID YOU GET IT !?  (Read 4718 times)

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
another moco letter to cvo owners - DID YOU GET IT !?
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »

DID ALL OF YOU GET THIS YESTERDAY? (9/17/08)

i got my free book in the mail with a letter of apology from the moco...nice gesture...i just wish my bike wasn't in the shop so much...i'd trade that book for that!

:-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:48:54 AM by alejandro »
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: another moco letter to cvo owners - DID YOU GET IT !?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »

Got it, would have rather been reimbursed for my time and trouble of getting their poorly engineered engine fixed.

Gregg

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:13:14 AM »

To keep it in perspective......

I spoke with my 48 year old neighbor Tuesday who had a hip replacement in Jan 08.  He received a letter from the manufacturer of the hip that it's being recalled.  He has to have the hip surgically removed and replaced.  It takes several months to recover from something like this let alone the pain and suffering besides.  What we are going through with the bikes is inconvenient at most.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »

I spoke with my 48 year old neighbor Tuesday who had a hip replacement in Jan 08.  He received a letter from the manufacturer of the hip that it's being recalled.  He has to have the hip surgically removed and replaced.  It takes several months to recover from something like this let alone the pain and suffering besides.  What we are going through with the bikes is inconvenient at most.
:vrolijk27: :vrolijk27: :vrolijk27:

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:26:29 AM »

Good lord I HOPE to God thats a joke.... NO ONE should have to go through that!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »

i wouldn't wish either thing on my worst enemy.

BOTH ARE PAINFUL!
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

grecko

• CVO1: 2002 FXDWG3 Navy Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »

I got the book and the letter too.  But...  mine was built in June of 08 according to the sticker on the frame neck.  I'm not sure what's going on.  A misfire of the mailing?  I didn't think this affected bikes built after May.  Mine does sound like it has nails in the cylinder but runs good - and cooler after a sert application.  Before that it actually melted some hot toppers on the cylinder base bolts.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

grecko

• CVO1: 2002 FXDWG3 Navy Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 06:25:23 PM »

Here's a copy of the letter for those who did not receive it.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »

NO!!! ;D

FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 05:02:41 AM »

NO!!! ;D

FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

They must have pushed you into the European no letter at all group. Ha ha ha ...   :D :D :D :D

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »

Louis,

I know you guys didn't get a "product enhancement" letter, but did you get the book over there?

bilbo

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »

Hi All,

New here, but not new to forums (I actually run my own set of Consumer advocacy forums).

I'm not a motorcycle kind of guy, but my best friend is.
He owns a 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King.

He is internet/computer challenged and since he knows I run some forums and know how to do a search, he has asked me to try and investigate some things for him.

He too has just received his second letter, with the book.

I have informed him that the companies database will continue to automatically send letters until the recall field is cleared in their database.

He is concerned about whether or not, or when to have the repairs ("upgrade") to the engine performed.
He also is getting seemingly conflicting signals in that the letters are urging him to get it done, but when he goes to his dealer to inquire, they seem to put the fear of god in him and strongly suggest he wait since he has 2 years to get it done and they have to order a gasket kit for it.

I also happen to be very mechanically inclined and fully understand the requirements of replacing a head gasket in an engine and everything else that also has to be done in the process.

My initial inclination is to advise "If it ain't broke, don't fix it until you absolutely have to".  Besides, if they really did send the book as a freebie for not having yet performed the "upgrade", maybe they'll keep sending more freebies until the "upgrade" is finally performed.

I noticed in the actual letter (thanks for posting it), they say it is not a safety issue.

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to get all of your thoughts on these questions:
1. What is the method of failure, what actually happens (e.g. will it blow hot oil on his leg(s), will it damage other parts, etc)?

2. Is it better to replace the gasket (and all the other gaskets required), now, while the engine is young, or later so as to get the most mileage out of the existing gaskets before replacement?

3. Any thoughts on why he is getting conflicting signals from his dealer (he lives in Waco, so should he bring it to a Dallas Dealer)?

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:32:36 AM by bilbo »

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »

Louis,

I know you guys didn't get a "product enhancement" letter, but did you get the book over there?

So far no book. We stand unified in solidarity to Hoist!

1914 10E, Grey
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »

Hi All,

New here, but not new to forums (I actually run my own set of Consumer advocacy forums).

He is internet/computer challenged and since he knows I run some forums and know how to do a search, he has asked me to try and investigate some things for him.

He too has just received his second letter, with the book.

I have informed him that the companies database will continue to automatically send letters until the recall field is cleared in their database.

He is concerned about whether or not, or when to have the repairs ("upgrade") to the engine performed.
He also is getting seemingly conflicting signals in that the letters are urging him to get it done, but when he goes to his dealer to inquire, they seem to put the fear of god in him and strongly suggest he wait since he has 2 years to get it done and they have to order a gasket kit for it.

I also happen to be very mechanically inclined and fully understand the requirements of replacing a head gasket in an engine and everything else that also has to be done in the process.

My initial inclination is to advise "If it ain't broke, don't fix it until you absolutely have to".  Besides, if they really did send the book as a freebie for not having yet performed the "upgrade", maybe they'll keep sending more freebies until the "upgrade" is finally performed.

I noticed in the actual letter (thanks for posting it), they say it is not a safety issue.

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to get all of your thoughts on these questions:
1. What is the method of failure, what actually happens (e.g. will it blow hot oil on his leg(s), will it damage other parts, etc)?

2. Is it better to replace the gasket (and all the other gaskets required), now, while the engine is young, or later so as to get the most mileage out of the existing gaskets before replacement?

3. Any thoughts on why he is getting conflicting signals from his dealer (he lives in Waco, so should he bring it to a Dallas Dealer)?

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Did your friend experience any malfunction with his bike? That is the main question, isn't it? As you say rightfully, no need to fix it, if it is not broken. And H-D gives you two years time ... In any case, if there is no urgency I'd suggest to wait. A later upgrade may be even covering problems we don't know yet (ahem). As H-D says, it is "not a safety issue" and that seems to be true, when you read the posts in this great site. The dealer may (or may not) have his own agenda. You probably need to clarify this face to face with the service manager or a senior person. And you can always call H-D directly.

Hope this helps!

Louis

1914 10E, Grey
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Most of us are getting ready to meet up at a "gathering" so the responses may be slow coing in on this subject. A lot of good info will be found in this link: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25247.0
However, it sounds like your friend's dealer is blowing smoke to stall him. The reason may be that the dealer is too busy this time of the year or is hoping your friend will take it to another dealer (as you have already mentioned). Have him get down on his knees with a flash light and look at the gasket of the rear cylinder. Look right by the rear exhaust. If there is oil (it may be burnt oil at this point) he has a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.