Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Riding blind in a downpour  (Read 6731 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Riding blind in a downpour
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »

Ditto!  I have rode in hard rain and ain't gonna do it unless I'm somehow forced to do it again.  I have spent extended periods (hour or more) stopped under a bridge.  Always get as far away from the road as possible and then get away from the bike (behind guardrail).  I've actually taken a few short naps waiting for the rain to let up.

Best case is to find a convenience store or the like to wait it out. 

A drive thru car wash is always a good port in a storm.

But, like others have said - try not to stop on the Interstate!  I always give my best to make it to the next off ramp at minimum... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »

A drive thru car wash is always a good port in a storm.

But, like others have said - try not to stop on the Interstate!  I always give my best to make it to the next off ramp at minimum... 

Yep, spent some time taking shelter at carwash.  Also bank drive-thru (after hours), pavilion in parks, and once up on a covered sidewalk in front of an office building.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Granted it ain't no fun, but my KD Sunglasses w/an open face helmet and leather bandana up to my nose, work OK in the worst rain and fog. At least my glasses don't get fogged up and water doesn't get in my eyes. I have to wipe them with my hand, and my face gets soaked. But I can keep my eyes just above the windshield and see halfway decently. As well as you can expect to see in driving rain anyway. Prolly better solutions, but that's been working OK for me for um-teen years! :2vrolijk_21:

I also like what Louis said in his response. Don't slow down to stupid slow speeds. You're sure to get run over by a cage/truck that will say he never saw you. Maintain the same speed as traffic with your flashers on. If that's too much for you to do, then get off the highway until it slows down. I do not own or use a safety vest, but if you're a Nervous Nellie, you might feel better having one. It's intimidating seeing a bike in the rain at speed, so they tend to give you room if your riding normal highway speed. But don't count on being seen and cover your brakes. You never know when you'll have to make an unplanned avoidance maneuver! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »

When I was riding back from Maggie Valley, first I encountered fog that was'nt too bad. But by the time I hit the east/west PA turnpike the rain was comming down in buckets. It got pretty dark in a few spots but as a few of you said I got into the fast lane and kept up with the vehicle in front of me..........kept at least 60 to 70 yards between myself and the car in front of me. Got pretty lucky, she dam near rode all the the way home with me. Anyway, when the rain got that heavy the only way I could see was to sit as upright as I could in the saddle and get a few inches above the winshield the full face helmet that I had on. The wind was just enough to keep the visibility marginal and keep the tailights in view. It took me about 2 1/2 hours riding like this to get home. About 5 miles from home the lightning started, I was really wiped by the time I got home. The only thing that was wet on me was my leather boots. The Gortex tops and bottoms HD suit I have worked very well. :2vrolijk_21:       
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »

I kive in South West Florida, in the summer months we have heavy tropical down pours most afternoons. I travel across Aligator alley fequently in the summer and have hit some absolutley blinding rains, and anyone who has ridden this road , knows there arent many places to pull over and wait it out. I hwear a half helmet with  Ray-Ban Wayfarer presription sunglasses. Hopefully, before I get soaked I have time to pull over and don my rain suit..Tog Frogs..best out there in my opinion. I use a bandana across my fore head to stop the stinging rain on top and keep water from running down into eyes also. I also use a second bandana below glasses to cover rest of exposed face. For me it is just too hot to wear a full face down here in the summertime...so I find this setup the most comfortable for me. as far as actually ridding. I maintain speed with other traffic out there..70-75 mph. I get in the tire track of the vehicle in front of me , as they have pushed some of the water out of my path for me..4-way flashers running if it is blinding. Leave lots of room...both in front and to the rear.
     The only time I pucker up a bit is when there is severe lightning crashing around. This area is known as the lightning capitol (for good reason too). I have ridden many miles in these type of conditions, ridden safely and without incicdent. This may sound a bit nuts to those who are fairweather riders, but to me weather is a part of the experience. It should be respected, not feared, embraced not hated. If I waited on the weather to be perfect, it would knock 5 months of riding out of my year. The sunshine state aint always so sunny...so get out there and enjoy your local weather.  :orange:   
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

Yep - if you don't ride in the rain, you really don't ride.

T-storms - I know you have a lot down there - but if you can hear it you are danger of being hit.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »

Yep - if you don't ride in the rain, you really don't ride.

T-storms - I know you have a lot down there - but if you can hear it you are danger of being hit.

ph
     I don't as a rule take exception to any of your posts. They are usually well thought out and I enjoy reading what you have to say. I do have to take exception to this one however. For 30+ years while living in Maine, I rode in every kind of weather imaginable including a couple of blizzards. Since moving to California 11 years ago, I have gotten caught in T-storms, dust storms, even a tornado outside of Amarillo TX a couple years back riding coast to coast . I have ridden all day in the rain more times than I can count during these cross country ventures. Ok, to the point, I am a C.O.B B. these days with severe enough arthrtitis that I am involuntarily retired. I cannot afford a trip to the pavement any more. As such, I won't ride in the rain. In my opinion, my chances of going down are increased 100% riding in the rain. So by your standards, I guess I don't ride anymore. The previous 40+ years don't count.

B B

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 12:20:56 PM »

ph
      cannot afford a trip to the pavement any more. As such, I won't ride in the rain. In my opinion, my chances of going down are increased 100% riding in the rain. So by your standards, I guess I don't ride anymore. The previous 40+ years don't count.

B B
geez kind od sensitive arent we? Coming from Maine...you get grandfarthered into the all weather riders club...I too have ridden close to 40years myself...it seems that alot of of the newer riders or ones that have returned riding after years of not ridding...are a bit squimish about ridding in any thing but but sunny dry days, I think may be the point. I too cant afford to go down while riding...these ole bones dont heal like they once did....that being said....I have learned to ride in weather...and make adjustments as need to make it a safe trip....I normally wont head out into a gully washer storm...but if one hits while out...I am prepared and confident in my skills to ride safe....and to try to ENJOY the experience as much as possible :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 01:58:20 PM »

'Tis one thing to be prepared and handle it on your own. I have and do if need be. But, when with a group there are often riders of different abilities and attitudes. When w/ a group, I head for cover. Don't want to go down but don't want to be responsible for another to crash or worse, run into me. I've a couple of good friends that we ride with together a lot. If time allows, we park it and shoot the chit. If not, we follow a lot of the tips mentioned above. Lastly, if I've got the BSR along, there's seldom a reason to jeopardize her and it's just not worth it to have her cold and pizzed off.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »

geez kind od sensitive arent we? Coming from Maine...you get grandfarthered into the all weather riders club...I too have ridden close to 40years myself...it seems that alot of of the newer riders or ones that have returned riding after years of not ridding...are a bit squimish about ridding in any thing but but sunny dry days, I think may be the point. I too cant afford to go down while riding...these ole bones dont heal like they once did....that being said....I have learned to ride in weather...and make adjustments as need to make it a safe trip....I normally wont head out into a gully washer storm...but if one hits while out...I am prepared and confident in my skills to ride safe....and to try to ENJOY the experience as much as possible :orange:

Nope, not at all, just making a point that riding styles change for a variety of reasons and nobody should make blanket statements like " if you don't ride in the rain, you don't really ride " without knowing a particular rider's circumstances.

B B

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 02:45:52 PM »

Brian,
I would not take offense to that, you have surely earned you riding wheels and have ridden more than myself and have more experience.

But I think the intent of that statement was to separate those who avoided these conditions by being a fair weather

rider all their life never subjecting themselves to those experiences.

You certainly have not done that and have those experiences. Whether you avoid them now is irrelevant, you have done

that
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »

Having ridden in rain snow hail and ice....

give me a nice sunny day anytime!  If I have a choice, I will choose to not ride in the rain, if there is no choice, then so be it...
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »

1.  Rain is o.k.

2.  Cold is o.k.

3.  Cold rain $ucks huge.

4.  Hail $ucks - and hurts.

Have done all of the above, but try hard to avoid 3 & 4 in my advanced age of 49 and general dislike of coldness...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »

ph
     I don't as a rule take exception to any of your posts. They are usually well thought out and I enjoy reading what you have to say. I do have to take exception to this one however. For 30+ years while living in Maine, I rode in every kind of weather imaginable including a couple of blizzards. Since moving to California 11 years ago, I have gotten caught in T-storms, dust storms, even a tornado outside of Amarillo TX a couple years back riding coast to coast . I have ridden all day in the rain more times than I can count during these cross country ventures. Ok, to the point, I am a C.O.B B. these days with severe enough arthrtitis that I am involuntarily retired. I cannot afford a trip to the pavement any more. As such, I won't ride in the rain. In my opinion, my chances of going down are increased 100% riding in the rain. So by your standards, I guess I don't ride anymore. The previous 40+ years don't count.

B B

Just as many take what you say the wrong way frequently, you do the same on occasion, and you did here.

Some people never will or never have ridden in the rain.

Anyone who has ever put any real miles on the road have been in the rain, eg "riders".
Sunday afternoon riding to only show off your sparklely shiny motor-sickle doesn't really qualify as a "rider", just someone showing their goods.

Were not talking life changes here. My wife is in the same boat. Used to ride but physically can't anymore (but she keeps pointing out trikes to me  :nixweiss:)

You forget, I was standing next to you when you got the longest distance traveled award 2 years ago, and the "been there done that got the t-shirt" to go with it..
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:17:10 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »

....I normally wont head out into a gully washer storm...but if one hits while out...

Kind of my original intention. Just get tired of the people looking at the weather forecast next week when planning a ride.
I had enough of that running charters for 20+ years.

I also will pass on starting a trip during a heavy rain - whats the poin?

Most group trips that I have been with, that start in heavy rain are physically exhausting. The whole ride changes with the worries of the rest of the group. Why not just wait it out.

But, getting caught is something different, sometimes you just keep going and "Sunday afternoon fair weather riders" seldom, if ever "get caught".

MV 2013

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 21 queries.