Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fouled plug  (Read 1669 times)

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
fouled plug
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:35:25 PM »

Hey guys if you look up my posts on the electraglide forum take a look at the" Gone dead for 15 seconds " post please and also if I could pick your brains ...

How many of you have the front cylinder plug of a 103 look in worse condition than the rear.. [smiley=brood.gif]

Pull those plugs boys and girls and tell me what you see! Please!

Thanks .
LeRoy/

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: fouled plug
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 07:54:33 PM »

Hey guys if you look up my posts on the electraglide forum take a look at the" Gone dead for 15 seconds " post please and also if I could pick your brains ...

How many of you have the front cylinder plug of a 103 look in worse condition than the rear.. [smiley=brood.gif]

Pull those plugs boys and girls and tell me what you see! Please!

Thanks .
LeRoy/

Do they look like these ?

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 08:11:32 PM »

You might want to take a compression test on your front cylinder and see if there is an issue.  That plug looks oil fouled to me.  The rear looks almost perfect as the color is nice and the timing mark looks to be right in the bend of the electrode.  My plugs looked a little sooty that understood showed some rich mixture and my timing mark was about 1/3 closer to the open end of the electrode which I understood show retarded timing. You are supposed to look deep in the plug for mixtue which I did as best as possible and saw the black soot more noticable down in there.  I am clearly not an expert but these would definitely make me want to investigate some more right away.  Two cents worth a penny JP [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 07:27:47 AM »

Just changed plugs yesterday at 9100 miles.  No missing or anything at all.  05 SEGlide that does use about a quart of oil in 1000 miles.  Rear plug perfect, slightly worn electrode.  Front plug, oil on threads as in the pic posted, with a whitesh burnt deposit on the electrode.   I'll wait for the weather to hit, then it is back to the dealer for a seal swap.  Headed out for the east coast, then north through Maine on Friday.  Riding two up pulling a POS trailer.  I'll take a couple of quarts of oil just in case,,lololol

Tom

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 11:13:57 AM »

LeRoy,

Thats exactly what mine looked like!  Dave Larson at Topeka HD in Topeka Kansas did a compression and leakdown test which showed the cylinder was fine so he then traced it to what he suspected in the first place.  That was a valve seal letting oil buy on the intake valve of the front head.  He also changed out the plastic breather for the metal ones.
dkm

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 09:18:53 AM »

LeRoy,

Pulled mine yesterday as part of the 5k service - both plugs were dry, threads and insulator.  So it appears that even though many of the valve seals are leaking, not all are (so far [smiley=wreck.gif]).  I hope they fix yours without any bs.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 11:25:51 PM »

LeRoy,

Pulled mine yesterday as part of the 5k service - both plugs were dry, threads and insulator.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 01:16:38 AM »

Do they look like these ?

What about a weak ignition do the same thing.
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 10:33:13 PM »

A follow up to the "fouled plug".
I normally do all of my own routine maintenance and today dumped the oil & filter at 5,600 miles. Last change was only 1,500 miles ago but wanted to keep somewhat in line with 5,000 mile inspection requirememnts. Oh man,something didn't look right when the drained oil appeared darker than usual. Closer inspection to the drain pan turned up considerable assorted small particles mostly dark color in nature with a few bright metallic chips thrown in for good measure.  At first glance it appeared that sand had drained out of the crankcase.  Magnetic screw driver tip run over the particles caused them to instantly jump onto the end.
Last Sunday I had gone for a routine 200 mile loop of Northern NJ / NY & PA. About 3/4 of the way I heard a kind of metal to metal screech down low in the area of the cams. I could only describe it as if a camshaft was partially frozen in its bearing momentarilly. Everything seemed ok after that but did notice the low oil pressure warning light was taking longer to go out after hot engine restarts.
I have a good relationship with dealer and before I could think of checking plugs I was preparing bike to be picked up for inspection.
It's ironic that I just happened to put the last of the Syn3 in the crankcase. I have on hand Redline 20/50 for the next change.
I did send the filter to dealer as well and requested it be taken apart for inspection.
Some of you may remember that I've been trying to find the right gear driven cam combination and it should be interesting to see if my concerns about the chain and shoes was on the money. Still dosen't make sense to have this happen at 5,600 miles in a engine that has been overly maintained, to say the least. (hand built by whom?)
Hey,I thought I felt the bike quiver as I rode by the York plant on the way back from Rolling Thunder! A warning for sure. [smiley=jalapeno.gif]
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.